• Images
  • Text
  • Find a Couple + Registry
GO
Wedding Party

unique ideas on how to ask bridesmaids to be in my wedding?!

Hello everyone!  I'm new to posting so maybe this has been asked before, but please share with me any ideas you have on how to ask my friends/family to be in my wedding!!!  I just feel like I should do more then just say "will you be a BM?"  They will be doing so much for me between now and the big day and I want them to know I'm honored to have them be a part of it.

Thanks!

Re: unique ideas on how to ask bridesmaids to be in my wedding?!

• In Response to unique ideas on how to ask bridesmaids to be in my wedding?!:
    Hello everyone!  I'm new to posting so maybe this has been asked before, but please share with me any ideas you have on how to ask my friends/family to be in my wedding!!!  I just feel like I should do more then just say "will you be a BM?"  They will be doing so much for me between now and the big day and I want them to know I'm honored to have them be a part of it. Thanks!
    Posted by atinney
    Um, like what?  They're friends and relatives, you know.  Not employees.
    The Bee Hive Est. June 30, 2007
    The Bee Hive Blog
    "So I sing a song of love, Julia"

BFAR:We Defined Our Own Success!
    25 Weeks - GOAL MET 52.2 Pounds gone! 27 Weeks Total Pounds Lost: 54.0
  • My friend did a "bridesmaid survival kit" and sent it to her BMs, it was really cute. Had ear plugs, chocolate, tylenol, fake pill bottle that said xanax, duct tape, mini liquor bottles, pack of cigs (for those who smoke), a little note asking us to be in the wedding and some other goodies. The bride is SUPER sweet so we knew it was all a big joke and she wasn't really going to be a bridezilla, we all loved it.

You could always make a cute little note and send it in the mail. I love getting notes and letters in the mail so I'm sure other girls do too. Try googling some ideas too, there should be tons. 
  • I don't personally see the need to ask them in a "unique" way. Why not just ASK?

That being said, if you really want to do something extra, ask each of them privately, and ask in a way you know they'll appreciate. I'd be kind of embarrassed and awkward if someone set up a fancy tea for me, gave me a sappy card or scrapbook, was crying when she asked me, etc. It's just not me. But some people like that. I'd personally feel better about bowling or something.
  • I don't understand why people always need unique ways to ask people to be in their WP. Just ask.
    Anniversary
  • My MOH just said that I should have gotten a virgin Himalayan Dwarf to bring her a scroll of paper that was hand-made by Italian Monks and written in ink made from my blood. 

Or you could just ask them.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I think the best way is to take them out for lunch or coffee and just ask.
    Planning Our Wedding - Updated 04/11/11
    image Wedding Countdown Ticker
    "If you can't think of something nice to say, don't say something nice" - Stephen Colbert
  • Do you really think they are going to care about how you asked them?  If they are excited, that's all that matters.  You have plenty of other things to worry about.
  • If you can't come up with an alternative idea on your own, it's a good sign that you shouldn't bother trying.  Just ask them, not everything about the wedding needs to be a production.
    This is a neglected planning bio.
    This is a belated married bio, with no reviews yet because I'm lazy.

Sometimes I feel like people think that brides are delicate little flower princesses who get all dressed up and pretty for one special moment of their dreams, when really they're just normal people who just happen to be getting married. Things shouldn't have to be sugar-coated for grown-ass women. -mstar284
  • ok so I asked the same question and got alot of nasty comments as well.  To me its not about being over-demanding or "bridezilla" but its just like me to be creative and do something nice.  Idk when your wedding is or when your timeline for asking your WP is but one of the suggestions I got that I really liked was sending the girls each a personlized Christmas ornament.  And since I will be deciding around next Christmas who will be in my WP, I really love that idea.  Other girls suggested cute candles with stones matching my wedding colors, or small flower arrangements.  I understand that your not trying to over do it, and if its something your friends would expect you to do, then its a nice gesture that only adds to the excitement, IMO.  Some girls that replied to my post told me if I asked them to be in my WP with a card or note they would laugh in my face....i dont see this being the case at all.  I think it makes your WP feel that much more excited and it means alot to them that would go out of your way to include them and make them feel so thought about.  So dont let some of the negative comments discourage you...i think its a great idea!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Between now and October, the wedding industry will do their very best to convince you that everything about your wedding must be "unique", "creative", "clever", "special", "unusual", "memorable" or your wedding won't be a success.  And that's just not true at all.

The industry is a billion dollar industry because they have done a great job of selling the "fairy tale princess" image of weddings.  They've convinced otherwise commonsense women that suddenly they MUST spend money on things that can A) be done for free or B) simply don't matter.

Will your friends be less thrilled to be in your WP if they don't also get a cookie shaped like a dress, or get a BMs bouquet of flowers?  I'm sure the answer is no.

Start now.  Make this your FIRST act of independence from the clever marketers of the wedding magazines, tv shows, and websites.  Call up your friends and ask them.  If they're local, go out for a cup of coffee and ask them.

Your wedding WILL be unique because it's the only time you'll be marrying your FI.  Congratulations, and GL.
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • In Response to Re: unique ideas on how to ask bridesmaids to be in my wedding?!:
    ok so I asked the same question and got alot of nasty comments as well.  To me its not about being over-demanding or "bridezilla" but its just like me to be creative and do something nice.  Idk when your wedding is or when your timeline for asking your WP is but one of the suggestions I got that I really liked was sending the girls each a personlized Christmas ornament.  And since I will be deciding around next Christmas who will be in my WP, I really love that idea.  Other girls suggested cute candles with stones matching my wedding colors, or small flower arrangements.  I understand that your not trying to over do it, and if its something your friends would expect you to do, then its a nice gesture that only adds to the excitement, IMO.  Some girls that replied to my post told me if I asked them to be in my WP with a card or note they would laugh in my face....i dont see this being the case at all.  I think it makes your WP feel that much more excited and it means alot to them that would go out of your way to include them and make them feel so thought about.  So dont let some of the negative comments discourage you...i think its a great idea!
    Posted by kmd0501
    "A LOT" is two separate words. I can't understand why so many people on this website can't seem to comprehend this.
  • How on earth is it nasty to say, "You don't need to do a big production.  Your friends will be thrilled to be asked"?  I'm serious, telling you that your friends will be so honored to be a part of your wedding that you don't need to buy them a memento to make it special should FLATTER you, not anger you.  
    Courtesy of megk8oz
    "I think bablingbrooke is the 13 yr old marring her cousin at the town hall. Lets all give her a big hand. And hope her inbred children can live normal lives." -tabs.

A word of warning from your friends at Cracked.com: Remember that text is going to be how you make your first impression over the internet; if every third word you type is misspelled, people will automatically assume that you're a moron.
  • In Response to Re: unique ideas on how to ask bridesmaids to be in my wedding?!:
    I had all my girls over for dinner, and got them each a personalized card asking them, I also got some cute bags with their names on them, and found a little voo doo bridezilla kit at Ocean State Job Lot as a joke... They all really liked it, plus it was nice to have a girls night with some yummy dinner!
    Posted by sarahmi5308
    OP:  I would consider this advice carefully.  I recommend that you do NOT ask everyone in a group.  If, for some reason, a friend has to decline the honor you've offered, you're putting her/him into a difficult position.

Do they say "no" and feel bad for derailing the excitement train?  Do they say "I'll need to think about it" and again, perhaps derail that train?  Do they say "yes" just because of peer pressure and then regret saying yes?

Ask each of your friends individually first.  Then, if you must, have a big old happy time dinner.
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
    In Response to Re: unique ideas on how to ask bridesmaids to be in my wedding?! : "A LOT" is two separate words. I can't understand why so many people on this website can't seem to comprehend this.
    Posted by mbcdefg
    http://hyperboleandahalf.blogspot.com/2010/04/alot-is-better-than-you-at-everything.html
    Planning Our Wedding - Updated 04/11/11
    image Wedding Countdown Ticker
    "If you can't think of something nice to say, don't say something nice" - Stephen Colbert
  • edited December 2010
    Hi Atinney!

I wanted to make it fun for my girls too, and they're from all over the states, so it was a bit trickier than just going out to lunch.  What I did was get together little kits to send to them and mailed it out on Valentine's day.  I started the kit by buying a Ring Pop for them and making a little card that said something to the effect of "Steve had a ring and a question for me, so now I have a ring and a question for you."  I wrapped the ring pops with a cobalt blue ribbon, which was the color of the wedding.  I had a personalized card for each of them telling them how much I would love for them to be in the wedding party.  I then threw in some Hershey's hugs/kisses and wrote a note saying that since I couldn't be there in person to give them hugs, that this would have to do for now.

Corny/Cheesy?  Yes.  Did they love them?  Yes :)  It was just a fun/goofy way to get them excited :)

Good luck making your girls feel special/excited as well :)  Have fun with it :)
  • You could use one of these! It's a template that you can print out on your own so it's only going to cost you the price of cardstock and ink. I don't think you need anything over the top or anything but I feel the same way that I want to do something memorable for my girls so I'm going to do this for them. Also if you go to the rest  of the DYI section of this site there are other designs. Hope this helps!!!

http://www.weddingchicks.com/freebies/custom-goodies/will-you-be-my-vintage-card/

June2012 Siggy for March:Honeymoon in Panama City Beach
    image 288 Invited so far!
    image 48 Are ready to party!
    image 34 Will be missing out!
    image 206 Are MIA!

Follow Me on Pinterest

Daisypath Wedding tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards