Wedding Party
Options

My housecleaner broke...

my vase. Well, my housecleaner's husband did. It was a gift from DH last hannukah and I know it was 80 bucks. It was one of my faves. Thing is, the vase isn't shattered. There is in fact a chip in the vase. It's too hard to show in a pic. I only noticed it today because I wanted to put new flowers in it and I wanted to clean out the old dirty water from last week.

When I picked it up, the water was gone. Meaning that he cleaned it out. I have chipped this thing ever. And so we decided to call and leave a message to ask his wife if anything went wrong.

As I picked it up with water and flowers in it, the crack slowly gets bigger. I am really sad it is breaking. 

Would you get a new housecleaner, tell the housecleaner to not allow her husband to help anymore, or have them pay for it and continue their services?

I think I'm mostly upset because no one came to me or Dh today to say "Sorry, but I chipped your vase." I had to find out on my own.
Sunbonnet or cone of shame? You be the judge! Trixie's Blog
My Planning Bio
My Married Bio updated March 4

Re: My housecleaner broke...

• Options
    That is pretty crappy that they didn't let you know it had been damaged. Is there a possibility that they just didn't realize it had been damaged as bad as it is?

I don't know that I would get a new house cleaner over that, unless it has happened before with other objects. I think I would just talk it over with them to find out what happened and then ask them to pay for it or take the cost out of their pay.

I'm sorry, stina! That's such a bummer.
    It's a girl!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I'd bring it to the house cleaner's attention about what happend.  You're sure it was them?

If that's the case, they have the opportunity to redeem themselves.  I don't think you can tell the housekeeper who can and can't help her but the ultimate burden of responsibility is on HER to clean and not damage your stuff.
  • Options
    Yeah, I feel bad that I have to bring it up. I hate confrontations.

I am almost POSITIVE that the vase had no cracks last night. I have not touched the vase since last week. There was icky water in it and I was going to clean it out this afternoon, but it was already clean and there was a crack in it.
    My Planning Bio
  • Options
    I also HAVE to throw it away now. Dh said that it was unsafe to keep it. Lame.
    My Planning Bio
  • Options
    Yeah, as long as you know DH didn't do it, call her and ask her what happened.

• Options
    Yikes.  I wouldn't get a new housecleaner because they broke something, I would get a new housecleaner because they didn't own up to the fact.  I'd give them a chance to redeem themselves.  Maybe they didn't realize they had damaged it?  Maybe it got knocked on the floor and they never saw the chip.

I hate confrontations too Stina.  Good luck!  I hope you can get it replaced.
    My Grandparents on their wedding day.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    bio
    Repeat this to your self: My Wedding Party is made of my family and friends and I should treat them as such.
  • Options
    Blackfire, unfortunately, I checked the Crate and Barrel website and it's not available anymore. 
    My Planning Bio
  • Options
    Here are photos...see for yourself

A photo so you can see how big this guy is!

Side view....see that big chunk missing?

And the ever growing crack...

I could believe it if he didn't realize it happened, but I think they should still replace it. I just hate having to tell them that they owe me money....maybe DH can do it?
    My Planning Bio
  • Options
    I wouldn't switch housecleaners, but I would bring it up and say that while you understand accidents happen, you expect honesty and that to you includes letting you know about any accidents. I also wouldn't say that her husband can't help her because accidents can happen to anyone, and the decision not to tell may have been a joint decision or her decision rather than his.

My dad has raged an ongoing battle with our housecleaner of 25 years over stuff like this...she works with girls who've recently immigrated to the US, so the people change every couple years, and with every new girl we have to go over it again. I think next time his head might explode. But we keep her because we know she would never steal, and things don't break that often, so for us it's worth the trade-off.

I'm really sorry though, that's sad! Your DH won't even let you fix the crack? If you use a good epoxy it would just be a visual problem, not a safety one, and you can always turn the broken side to the wall.
  • Options
    I get nervous with broken glass.  A couple years ago I was cleaning a glass and it broke with my hand inside it. I had to get 6 stitches in my thumb and I still can't feel it completely when you touch that area of my hand. 

As I picked it up today, the crack expanded. I don't think we CAN save it, and I would hate for it to break while I was holding it.
    My Planning Bio
  • Options
    That is a gorgeous vase, so it sucks that they broke it. I agree with the other ladies, to confront the housecleaner and see what her story is. It could be that her husband did it and didn't tell her, so she didn't even know to be able to tell you.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    Aw, Stina, that sucks!

I'd definitely call them about it and ask what happened.  Whether or not to get a new housekeeper woudl depend for me on how she handles it.  If she denies that they did anything or doesn't offer to replace it, then I think you'd be justified in telling her that you won't be able to use her services anymore.

GL.
    Planning Our Wedding - Updated 04/11/11
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
    "If you can't think of something nice to say, don't say something nice" - Stephen Colbert
  • Options
    That sucks. It's such a pretty vase.  Shame on whoever did it for not being upfront and honest and saying "We'll credit the amount to your bill" or something along those lines.

A few years ago, I had a sub  (she was a permasub on campus) and came back to a broken glare protector thing that I had bought and put on my computer screen.  She said the kids did it.  Really? Because they got behind my desk and sat at my computer and you didn't notice?  What exactly went on while I was out?  I let the office know that she was not welcome to sub for me anymore, not necessarily because of the accident (they happen) but blaming the kids for it.
    The Bee Hive Est. June 30, 2007
    "So I sing a song of love, Julia"

BFAR:We Defined Our Own Success!

• Options
    Stina, you might try calling Crate & Barrel to see if they still have it and/or search eBay to see if anyone has put one up for sale.

• Options
    I would say ask her about it and see if she comes clean, if not fire her. I am a housekeeper and always tell my clients if anything happens even if I didnt do it and might THINK they would think it was me lol..
  • Options
    This is why email is so nice.  You don't have to really confront.  

Make your DH do it, but they need to be confronted.  
  • Options
    I hadn't seen the photos when I put up my previous post - I agree, unfortunately I don't think you can salvage it.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards