Wedding Party
Options

Hair and Makeup

How far in advance did everyone book their services for the day?

My wedding party won't commit to anything and they told me they won't know until "the last minute" what their plans are.

How long  should I wait to get an answer before I just go ahead and book something by myself so I don't get screwed out of getting my own hair done?

Re: Hair and Makeup

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-party_hair-and-makeup?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:37Discussion:41a230a2-119f-4ac4-a657-3c0d8952a49cPost:06e06a68-96b3-445b-bfeb-708780627230">Hair and Makeup</a>:
    [QUOTE]How far in advance did everyone book their services for the day? My wedding party won't commit to anything and they told me they won't know until "the last minute" what their plans are. How long  should I wait to get an answer before I just go ahead and book something myself?
    Posted by loca4pook[/QUOTE]

I booked my salon appointment about 6 months in advance. Unless you're paying for the bridesmaids hair, I wouldn't worry about them.

Just say "I'm making an appointment for my hair at XYZ salon at 8:00AM the morning of the wedding. You're welcome to join me. If you also need an appointment, contact Stylist Susie by abc date. The cost is $65 for an updo and $45 for a blowout"
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-party_hair-and-makeup?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:37Discussion:41a230a2-119f-4ac4-a657-3c0d8952a49cPost:67dc0321-61bb-4788-867e-f8f251c96e85">Re: Hair and Makeup</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Hair and Makeup : I booked my salon appointment about 6 months in advance. Unless you're paying for the bridesmaids hair, I wouldn't worry about them. Just say "I'm making an appointment for my hair at XYZ salon at 8:00AM the morning of the wedding. You're welcome to join me. If you also need an appointment, contact Stylist Susie by abc date. The cost is $65 for an updo and $45 for a blowout"
    Posted by itzMS[/QUOTE]

<div>I offered to pay and everything. Every discussion is "won't know until last minute" which is hard because I cannot book anything "on site" which would be my preference because I don't have the numbers.</div><div>
    </div><div>I guess I just have to "suck it up" and make an appt at a normal hair salon by myself.  :(</div><div>
    </div><div>
    </div>
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-party_hair-and-makeup?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:37Discussion:41a230a2-119f-4ac4-a657-3c0d8952a49cPost:022f8716-caf0-4a0e-9913-2cf3d6a4b0b6">Re: Hair and Makeup</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Hair and Makeup : I offered to pay and everything. Every discussion is "won't know until last minute" which is hard because I cannot book anything "on site" which would be my preference because I don't have the numbers. I guess I just have to "suck it up" and <strong>make an appt at a normal hair salon by myself.  :(
    </strong>Posted by loca4pook[/QUOTE]

I don't think that's "sad face" worthy. Still send out an email or phone call to the bridesmaids with what I posted. It's the common phrasing that's used in my circle.

I paid for all my BMs hair, and didn't get a solitary complaint. It appears your bridal party is being a bit more difficult than most. Perhaps you just presented things wrong. Try again and keep your head up.
  • Options
    I would give them a deadline. Say you need to know by X so you can book their appts, or you assume that they will be taking care of make up and hair themselves.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-party_hair-and-makeup?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:37Discussion:41a230a2-119f-4ac4-a657-3c0d8952a49cPost:a3e7f376-f2fb-4b42-a483-60fed275ce03">Re: Hair and Makeup</a>:
    [QUOTE]I would give them a deadline. Say you need to know by X so you can book their appts, or you assume that they will be taking care of make up and hair themselves.
    Posted by KatWAG[/QUOTE]

Agreed with this. I am not paying and told my girls it was totally optional. But the person I was going with needed a count by a certain date. So I just told them that I needed to know by x date and, if they weren't getting stuff done, they were welcome to come hang out and do their own hair/make up while I was getting mine done. If no one responds by that date, then, yes, just book something for yourself and call it a day.
  • Options
    loca4pookloca4pook member
    First Comment Name Dropper 5 Love Its First Anniversary
    edited February 2013
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-party_hair-and-makeup?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:37Discussion:41a230a2-119f-4ac4-a657-3c0d8952a49cPost:e873dd0a-b146-40ce-8f63-e6715407da69">Re: Hair and Makeup</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Hair and Makeup : Agreed with this. I am not paying and told my girls it was totally optional. But the person I was going with needed a count by a certain date. So I just told them that I needed to know by x date and, if they weren't getting stuff done, they were welcome to come hang out and do their own hair/make up while I was getting mine done. If no one responds by that date, then, yes, just book something for yourself and call it a day.
    Posted by vonclancy[/QUOTE]

I guess the true question is this....When did others books their appts? I guess I need to know because i want to know when I should resort to my back up plan? 2 months out 1 month out?? now? When is it reasonable to just say ""I'm done, I am going alone?"

My "ideal" would be to have someone come "on-site" but I  cannot obviously book that right now because I have no numbers and they require minimums. If I commit and hope for the best, I would pay for a minimum people regardless of whether it is just me which would make for one helluva expensive updo if they say "no thanks' at the end....

yes, they know I have offered to pay which i really cannot even afford to do...but it was my only hope of trying to just get some type of answer either way....yet, still never got one
  • Options
    itzMSitzMS member
    First Answer First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited February 2013
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-party_hair-and-makeup?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:37Discussion:41a230a2-119f-4ac4-a657-3c0d8952a49cPost:e8f6f749-dbe6-47f5-811c-772da6b07ab6">Re: Hair and Makeup</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Hair and Makeup : I guess the true question is this....When did others books their appts? I guess I need to know because i want to know when I should resort to my back up plan? 2 months out 1 month out?? now? When is it reasonable to just say ""I'm done, I am going alone?" My "ideal" would be to have someone come "on-site" but I  cannot obviously book that right now because I have no numbers and they require minimums. If I commit and hope for the best, I would pay for a minimum people regardless of whether it is just me which would make for one helluva expensive updo if they say "no thanks' at the end.... yes, they know I have offered to pay <strong>which i really cannot even afford to do...but it was my only hope of trying to just get some type of answer either way....yet, still never got one
    </strong>Posted by loca4pook[/QUOTE]

Bingo. They probably know you can't afford it, too. Or, can't afford hairstyles themselves and feel guilty that you'd pay.

Just move on. Get your hair done at the salon you want, and let the bridal party know they can join if they want to. Don't worry about any "deadlines". Grown women know how to either 1. Do their own hair, or 2. Make a hair appointment.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards