Wedding Party

What a sense of community...

Honestly I posted my question about "booting" a bridesmaid after midnight when I was extremely tired, so my post came out a bit immature sounding and almost didn't make that much sense. I was way too tired to rehash years of issues and my inability to be assertive and stand up for myself (I'm aware that lack of assertiveness is equal to lack of maturity on some level, thank you for those of you who thought it would be helpful to point that out) The only reason I posted to a forum of brides I didn't know was bc I didn't want to badmouth this girl to anyone, I just needed advice. I wasn't looking for assurance that I was 100% the good guy or that removing a bridesmaid was a good idea. If I thought it was a good idea, I wouldn't have had a problem doing so without asking for advice on how to handle it. I was hoping that I would get some helpful feedback and then be able to delete the post. Thank you SO much for those replies that consisted of constructive criticism or helpful insights. Ranging from "hang in there, it will pass" to "it will end the friendship," your replies were honest and gave me the differing feedback that I needed. Unlike a lot of other people on here who only seem to be on here to make snarky remarks, your replies make me feel better in the sense that I'm not the only one who has had to deal with something like this. I totally got over excited and picked my bridal party way too early. Yes, it was immature of me to think that having her be my bridesmaid would make our already iffy friendship any better. Sparing you the forever long details and only sharing one or two wedding-related incidents, she intially gave me issues as she continually tried to set me up with her husband's brother even after I was engaged. The fight that I referred to occurred during the time period we were preparing for her wedding, so I just let it go for the sake of a drama free wedding for her. The awkward tension that some of you talk about is something that I've definitely been experiencing. How to handle such an awkward situation with someone I wanted so badly to still be that best friend she was in high school, while knowing that we both have changed, was something that I really struggled with.

One or two of you asked what had transpired in the months following our arguement: Nothing. Silence. One response on fb about how she was just way too busy to talk.
Since I've posted, she has sent me a huge fb message (nothing in person, no phone call...) about how she knows we're at a really awkward point and how she knows it's partially her fault. Although she never officially gave any sort of apology, I've decided to let her back in to my life (this whole contemplation to remove her from my bridal party obviously was also about whether or not I needed a friend like that at all). We're still pretty distant but as long as she doesn't start anymore drama, I'll be okay having her in my wedding. While "sucking it up" (as someone on the forum so nicely suggested) for my own wedding doesn't seem like something I should have to do, it's going to mean a lot less drama for everyone else. And, as per my lack of assertiveness, I'm used to it. So, here's to the last time I let her get away with her unwanted attitude. Once the wedding is over, we probably won't talk (she never really gets back with me unless she needs something...I don't know why I held on to our friendship this long. I guess it's just because of the fact that we've been friends ever since I can remember).

Anyway... Though I'm sure this is more info than you needed, I just wanted to say thank you for  those of you who replied with the intention of help. And for not judging me from a post on the internet. :)

Re: What a sense of community...

• I sense we're not getting the whole story here.
  • This whole situation sounds like it's between two immature people.  If you don't want to handle her outbursts against your FI then tell her her friendship just isn't worth your time anymore.  If you want to continue being friends with her then suck it up and tell her that the name calling was inappropriate and you'd appreciate it if she doesn't bring your FI into your arguments and keep her as a BM.
    Ignorance is a poor defense. Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • SlothGoalsSlothGoals member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer First Comment
    edited December 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-party_helphelphelp-how-to-bootcan-i-boot?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:37Discussion:43730022-343b-4936-914c-7cd84b1486d3Post:c546d4a8-6d76-4ae2-b216-0dfe82303564">HelpHelpHelp! How to boot/Can I boot?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Over the years, this particular bridesmaid and I have been up and down friends (the way I see it, I've always been there for her and she's been there for me whenever it's been ...convenient... for her. I've already asked her to be a bridesmaid, bc I wanted to share this experience with her. I was a little leery at first, but I did so anyway. About a month or two ago, we got into a huge fight (of course) <strong>and she called my fiance just about everything negative in the book. This is not the first time she's said negative/nasty things about him and I'm tired of it.</strong> I forgive her, but I really just want to be done with the drama. I don't feel comfortable having a woman like this standing next to me when I marry the man I love. I shouldn't have to choose between my future husband and my best friend. My fiance says it's fine and that he understands if I still want her in the wedding, but I'm over it. So...being that I'm not a confrontational person...how should I handle this?? HELP!
    Posted by JohnsonPhipps[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>Ugh, TK ate my first post so here's the coles notes:</div><div>
    </div><div>This isn't the first time she's bad mouthed your FI and you <strong>still</strong> wanted her in your BP. That was your choice and now you have to live with it or lose her as a friend. From what you've told us it doesn't sound like you'll be losing much.</div><div>
    </div>
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Anniversary 
  • This was 1-2 months ago. What's happened in the meantime with this best friend of yours?

Booting her is a friendship-ending move. You could tell her something like, "Your friendship has meant so much to me over the years, but I can't remain friends with someone who is openly nasty to me about my future husband." 

Do you want her to be a part of your life at all? If so, she stays in the bridal party unless she excuses herself. There is NO way to "boot" someone without most likely ending a friendship. Do you not care? Confront her, move on, and try to heal.
  • I hocnestly don't understand why you would invite anyone into the bridal party who has been verbally abusive about the man you are trying to start a life with. You can either let her stay in the party, or boot her and understand she probably won't be your friend anymore. But to me, losing her as a friend doesn't really sound like a big loss from your description.
    Don't make me mobilize OffensiveKitten

Anniversary

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-party_helphelphelp-how-to-bootcan-i-boot?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:37Discussion:43730022-343b-4936-914c-7cd84b1486d3Post:5351fc37-9d66-4513-b8ce-866910fcb0a7">Re: HelpHelpHelp! How to boot/Can I boot?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to HelpHelpHelp! How to boot/Can I boot? : Ugh, TK ate my first post so here's the coles notes: This isn't the first time she's bad mouthed your FI and you still  wanted her in your BP. That was your choice and now you have to live with it or lose her as a friend. From what you've told us it doesn't sound like you'll be losing much.
    Posted by kristbot[/QUOTE]

<div>
    </div><div>I don't have anything to add that hasn't been said already, but I freaking love that little video in your sigature. I must have watched that bunny come tearing in like 1,000 times. It's hilarious. </div>
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-party_helphelphelp-how-to-bootcan-i-boot?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:37Discussion:43730022-343b-4936-914c-7cd84b1486d3Post:28cb1bb9-2264-4ced-8513-2666f2a9d115">Re: HelpHelpHelp! How to boot/Can I boot?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: HelpHelpHelp! How to boot/Can I boot? : I don't have anything to add that hasn't been said already, but I freaking love that little video in your sigature. I must have watched that bunny come tearing in like 1,000 times. It's hilarious. 
    Posted by beardownbchs[/QUOTE]

<div>Hahaha thanks! My sister knows I love bunnies and found it online one day; had to put it in my sig after that :)</div>
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Anniversary 
  • NYCMercedesNYCMercedes member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited December 2012
    Can you and she have a discussion that is not confrontational? Every talk does not have to be. It can be a friendly talk where you tell her she has hurt your feelings.
  • You can nicely tell her that due to the conflicts that you've had and her fews of your FI you no longer think it would be a good idea for her to be a bridesmaid, but be prepared, that will more then likely be the end of the friendship.
  • Something seems to be missing. Was the fight about your fiance? Is it that she does not think highly of your fiance or she is cautioning you about him or something like that? Cuz with my true friends, if i see something that causes me to be concerned about their partners i voice my opinion supported by evidence. If its sth like that which you may not want to publicize then be objective and think about what she is saying as she may only be looking out for you. in such a case, she should not be booted.

If its nothing like this and she just speaks negatively about him for no reason, tell her if she intends to be part of the bridal  party, not to do it again. That way u r not booting her but she would know upfront that if she does it again, she would be booted.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-party_helphelphelp-how-to-bootcan-i-boot?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:37Discussion:43730022-343b-4936-914c-7cd84b1486d3Post:a21179c5-32f5-4a1f-8c52-0df47bb03fed">Re: HelpHelpHelp! How to boot/Can I boot?</a>:
    [QUOTE]There is no way to kick a friend out of your wedding that will preserve your friendship. You can, however, ask her to keep her negative opinions about your future husband to herself. <strong>Folks....do you like all your husband's friends? That's no reason to cut a friend out of your wedding party, either</strong>, although she should certainly keep her mouth shut about her dislike. Another shout-out for Kristbot's bunny video.  I just showed it to my husband.  Love it!
    Posted by RetreadBride[/QUOTE]

I certainly wouldn't keep someone out of my wedding party because they disliked my husband at the time (everyone is entitled to their opinions).  But if this person was verbally abusive and disrespectful about my husband, yup, out she goes from the list of consideration.  No second thoughts about it either.
    Don't make me mobilize OffensiveKitten

Anniversary

• I too have been in this situation (currently). I chose my wedding party way too soon and didn't think it through. I chose my MOH the week after I got engaged (over a year ago). Since, she's turned into a selfish MOH who has done nothing to help me out and has only thought about herself and how she's going to be the star of the day. I made the mistake of bottling it up and not telling her that some of things she said or the way she was acting had bothered me. Of course I vented to my fiance about it. He confronted her and so then she asked me what was bothering me. I told her everything and it has since created this awkward tension. She asked me what should we do, should she back out, should she still be a part of it. Basically I told her I care about her and would love for her to be there, but it is ultimately her decision. I haven't talked to her since I told her that and today she is meeting up with her decision. I could never tell her myself if I wanted her to stay my MOH or not, she had to make that choice on her own. Maye that will be the solution for you as well. Maybe your friend will sense the tension and back out on her own. My only advice is if something is bothering you, you NEED to tell her about it.
    Anniversary
  • Don't get rid of her.  She brings the drama you need.  Since the two of you have danced this particular dance multiple times, wait for things for things to come back around.  It will all work out.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-party_helphelphelp-how-to-bootcan-i-boot?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:37Discussion:43730022-343b-4936-914c-7cd84b1486d3Post:14e09095-debf-4b48-801a-57a57ede5b9b">Re: HelpHelpHelp! How to boot/Can I boot?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I agree.  There's more here. For future reference:  If any of you brides are thinking of kicking out a bridesmaid, and decide to come here to find someone to assure you that it's just fine to do that, and you are not a horrible person for it..... Lose the notion.  Ain't gonna happen. (The fact that you need this validation should tell you it's a rotten idea without needing to ask us.)
    Posted by RetreadBride[/QUOTE]

For future reference, why don't you properly read a post before you mailiciously comment - I never ASKED ANYONE FOR "ASSURANCE." I never asked anyone to tell me I wasn't a horrible person AND I never said I was looking for validation. I asked for opinions and help.  Why don't you look up the definition for validation? I'm sure that would help you out a little next time you want to get on the internet and pretend like your sh** doesn't stink.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards