Wedding Party

Having a guy in the bridal party

Hey ladies,

I'm in the process of figuring out my bridal party. In addition to 3 female bridesmaids + 1 jr bridesmaid, I'm considering asking my best guy friend to be a "bridesman" or "man of honor" (he would be awesome as either).

One big question is on attire: My fiance and his groomsmen are not going to wear suits; probably will wear white linen shirts and khakis or similar. Would my bridesman/man of honor be matching them or should he wear a suit with a boutonniere/tie matching the bridesmaids dresses?

And also, would it be ok to have him as Man of Honor and also have a Maid of Honor?

Having him in the wedding party will be awesome but I'm sure it will throw my future MiL (Southern Baptist-raised) and even my mom in a tizzy, but they'll have to get over it--it's my wedding! :P

Thanks!

Re: Having a guy in the bridal party

• mbcdefgmbcdefg member
    5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    I don't think he should dress more formally than your fiance and the groomsmen. Maybe a different-colored shirt if you guys want, or he can dress the same as the other men. People will know he's your attendant if he's standing on your side. Just keep them all on the same formality level.

Yes, a ManOH and a MaidOH would be fine.

Future MIL will need to relax :) Don't fight her on it, just say he's your attendant and then drop the subject, even if she complains. Does it even need to come up in conversation right now?
  • bstentbstent member
    First Comment
    I think that's great! I wouldn't hesitate to have a man in my bridal party if I had someone I was as close to as my girls (I do have a brother who I'm very close with but he and FI are friends and he's a groomsman). If it was me, I like your idea of having the man of honour/bridesman wearing something different from the groomsmen and instead matching with the bridesmaids, but I think either choice would work! And I have two maids of honour (my sisters) so I don't see why you can't have a man of honour as well as a maid of honour. You'll just have to decide how to divide up the "duties" (don't like the way that sounds but not sure what other word to describe it... "honours"??), such as who will sign as your witness, who will hold your bouquet, who will hold the ring (if you don't have a ringbearer) and if you are having speeches, will they speak together, each say something separately, or just one of them speak? But those decisions are easy enough to make so really shouldn't be a deciding factor
  • Tina515Tina515 member
    First Comment
    i'm having a very close guy friend in my wedding, as my FI is having a very close female friend on his side. We are referring to them as "attendants" so Brian is a bride's attendant, and Bre is a Groom's attendant. In the programs, we are listing everyone under the headers of Bride's Attendants and Groom's Attendants.

Brian is matching the guys just to make it easier on him, but we are asking bre to wear a black dress fromt h same line as the bridesmaids (same material, aame style, different color), so she looks a part of it, but more inline with the groomsmen. And she's getting a wrist corsage, rather than a bouquet.

I wouldn't put your friend in a suit, but maybe he can wear khakis with a tie that matches the girls's dresses, if the other guys aren't wearing ties. That would dress him up a bit and help him coordinate without it being too much.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • one of the girls on my month board had her brother stand on her side. he wore a black tux like the GM but his vest and tie matched the BM dresses.
  • I have a Man of Honor, Matron of Honor and 3 bridesmaids
  • My male attendant will wear the same style black suit as FI's gm.  I think the only difference will be that the groomsmen will all have solid red ties and I think we may put him in a striped tie, but that's still up in the air.  We're not doing bouts.
    BabyFruit Ticker Photobucket image Photobucket
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards