Wedding Party

BM Gifts

So, I'm starting to look around for the BM gifts - both FI's sisters.

I'm spending about $100-$125 for each. I'm getting them things that suit their personalities and interests. Unfortunately, I don't really know what they like!

FSIL 1 - I know that her and her H have a movie room and love movie decor, so that's the only thing I know of to look for. Based on their movie room, I have a decent idea of what things she woud like and wouldn't like. I've found a few things that I think she would like, but I wouldn't like all her gifts to be of the same genre.

FSIL 2 - All I've considered so far is 1 DVD that she was saying she would LOVE to have (the other night). Other than that, painfully clueless.

I asked FMIL and the only suggestion she could give was the DVD that I'm ordering for FSIL 2.

I asked FI what they like - books, movies, and tv shows. Well, that's about all I know as well, l but as far what, I have no clue. He also said Amazon lol but I told him I'm not getting them a gift card - and if I did get them a gift card, it would be to a restaraunt or something that they like for a night out & it certainly wouldn't be the only gift.

Would it be tacky to ask the other sister about what the other likes? As far as maybe things they would like/need/have been wanting/etc? I'm trying to exhaust my resources with FI and FMIL, but I don't think they really know. Both FSIL are very close, so I know that they would be good resources that would allow me to get them something they'd like, but i don't know if this would be tacky.

Thoughts?
BabyFruit Ticker

Re: BM Gifts

• Do they have Amazon wish lists?  You could probably set FMIL to finding that out, or to strongly hinting that they should draw them up.  Or if they have birthdays coming up, maybe you could use that as an excuse.

But barring those, I don't think it's terrible to say, "Hey, I'm shopping for a gift for your sister and I'm coming up a little short.  Is there anything in particular she'd like?"  It might not be the best solution, but if it's that and guessing, it can't hurt.
    This is a neglected planning bio.
    This is a belated married bio, with no reviews yet because I'm lazy.

Sometimes I feel like people think that brides are delicate little flower princesses who get all dressed up and pretty for one special moment of their dreams, when really they're just normal people who just happen to be getting married. Things shouldn't have to be sugar-coated for grown-ass women. -mstar284
  • This is a neglected planning bio.
    This is a belated married bio, with no reviews yet because I'm lazy.

Sometimes I feel like people think that brides are delicate little flower princesses who get all dressed up and pretty for one special moment of their dreams, when really they're just normal people who just happen to be getting married. Things shouldn't have to be sugar-coated for grown-ass women. -mstar284
  • I agree with Stage about the gift cards. I can understand not wanting it to be their whole gift--I felt the same way as far as wanting my BMs to have something to open--but they're especially great when you're flying blind. I got them each a small gift and I will be getting them each a gift card to a place I know they like. I really like Amazon because they can order virtually anything, but there's no possibility of them spending it on toilet paper and orange juice like with Target, KWIM? Plus, Amazon has great prices on DVDs for their collections.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Thanks for the input! I did tell FI that I am considering a gift card for partial. I've actually been trying to look on Amazon for stuff (that's where I'm getting one of the dvd's).

As for the popcorn maker, unfortunately they already have one! And an awesome gumball machine lol

I definitely don't plan on discussing budget with either sister as I think that'd be tacky. I'm trying to avoid asking the other sister if possible, but I think I may have to resort to it. But if that is the case, it will also be useful should I get either one of them this year for the exchange.

I think if I get FSIL 1 home decor for the movie room, I think I'll just go to the place where I got something else for her. I had her in the Christmas gift exchange last year, and I was given a heads up on 2 or 3 things she liked there; I think she only has the 1 that I got her and not the other, so that will probably be my safest bet in that area as she's already said what she likes - otherwise, it probably is a good idea to stay away from the others, just in case.

I don't believe either have an Amazon wish list; though perhaps FI and I could talk to them (and both of their H) about setting something like this up. FI and I were discussing this earlier in the year just to make Christmas shopping a little easier as it's always a guessing game. So maybe we could bring this up shortly so they can get started; I can use it to my advantage for BM gifts, and then whoever we end up with for Christmas, we'll have that as well.

Maybe I will try that route before asking them. But I do want to do partial gift card, just not entirely gift card - though FI will be doing that for his brother and my brother (because that's just what they'd be happiest with!).

Thanks for the input!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • The bridesmaid gifts will be unique and it should be different things. Number of bridesmaid gifts are shared in this discussion will really good and inspire the others.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards