Wedding Party

Junior Bridesmaid questions!

So i have a couple of questions..
My parents have offered to pay for more then half of my wedding. I think that my mom wanting to invite her best friends from high school is fine, but she also thinks my cousin should be a junior brides maid. 
When my cousin was super young she kept asking me when i would get married, so she could be a flower girl, that has passed now and she is 16, (17 when i get married) I want to do some of the things my mom wants, but i'm still on the fence about my cousin. What exactly is the "job" of a junior bridesmaid.. would she sit with her parents during the reception? My fiance doesnt seem too keen on it, but his only reason is, she would be in the pictures.. not sure what to do!!
Thanks for the help!

Re: Junior Bridesmaid questions!

• 17 is waaay too old to be a jr. bridesmaid (the oldest a jr. bridesmaid should be is about 13). 

Just make your cousin a bridesmaid if it will save on the family drama (and since your Mom is helping you with costs).

All a bridesmaid has to do is show up on the day in the dress, walk down the aisle, stand quietly through the ceremony, and smile for pictures. That is all ANY of your bridesmaids have to do. If any of them offer more (like planning you a shower or bachelorette or going shopping with you, that is great, but totally not a requirement.

During the reception, all of your bridal party members should be allowed to sit with their dates.
    Anniversary
    White Knot
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • She's a bm and she has no duties or jobs aside from showing up dressed in the gown.
    Sunbonnet or cone of shame? You be the judge! Trixie's Blog
    My Planning Bio
    My Married Bio updated March 4
  • It's up to you to include her or not.  If your parents are paying for more thAn half the wedding and you feel obligated to include your cousin, that's your call to make.

Are you having a WP/head table?  If so, she's old enough to sit away from her parents during the reception and to be included with all the WP for everything. If you're not having a head table, then yes, she probably needs to sit with her parents and a boyfriend if you're extending "and guests" to all single WP members.  Treat her exactly the same as the older BMs.

Ditto the weirdness about your FI's POV regarding the pictures.
    You choose whom you want to stand with you on your side and he does the same. The entire WP is in the pictures so tell him to stuff it.
    The Bee Hive Est. June 30, 2007
    "So I sing a song of love, Julia"

BFAR:We Defined Our Own Success!

• She'd be a BM mand do what the other BMs do: buy a dress and show up.  Can you tell us why your FI doesn't want her in the pictures?  That's very odd to me.

• My sister got married this past summer and had our cousin, who was 16 at the time as a bridesmaid.  No junior.  She wasn't able to partake in the bachelorette party, but she did everything else the same.  Why would she be junior?  She's plenty old enough and the junior title would frankly be insulting at this point.  And why doesn't your FI want her in the pictures?  She's family!
    Planning Our Wedding - Updated 04/11/11
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
    "If you can't think of something nice to say, don't say something nice" - Stephen Colbert
  • I think if she is 17 she is to old to be a junior bridesmaid. She would just be a regular bridesmaid.

http://wedding.theknot.com/wedding-planning/bridal-party/articles/junior-bridesmaid-duties-in-detail.aspx
    BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards