Wedding Party

Teens in the WP

I have a 13 y/o cousin and a 14 y/o Soon to be step daughter.  Are teens too young to be bridesmaids?  Or would they be and obviously not partake in the adult festvities?  Not sure if they would normally be considered Jr. Bridesmaids or not.  I'm planning on takeing them out for a spa day and lunch for our own Bacholorette Day.

Wedding isn't until a year and a half but i'm already starting to think of everything.  I want to do it all now so i'm not stressing the next year and half.

Re: Teens in the WP

• A lot of people here will tell you you can have whoever you want in your bridal party. 13 and 14 is not too young to be bridesmaids, but drop the "junior" title. They do the same thing as the other bridesmaids, and I think at that age they would love to feel like adults and be included!
  • Wife KittyWife Kitty member
    First Comment
    edited March 2013
    I don't think teens are too young to be bridesmaids. Heck, flower girls are as young as two sometimes.

As far as participating in "adult festivites," I guess that just depends on what kind of bachelorette stuff you were thinking of. If you're having one of those cheeky bachelorette bashes complete with male-anatomy-shaped decorations, I guess I could see why you wouldn't want them involved, but there's nothing that says these girls can't accompany you to any of the other stuff, like your bridal shower.

When I was a kid I went with my mom to both bridal showers (yes, even when lingerie items were among the gifts opened) and baby showers, and I enjoyed both. The only difference between me and the grown up ladies was that I had plain orange juice while they had mimosas.

So unless you're planning something saucier, or you'r going to a club or bar where no one under 18 is permitted, I don't think there's much of an issue.
  • I'm 19, my sister's 17. We're slightly older, but we've both done fine as BMs so far. Obviously, the thing to keep in mind is that, while they are young, they know/have heard more than you think (WRT things like lingerie at a shower--trust me, they know!). They want to be treated like adults. 

Just treat them like regular WP members and they'll appreciate it. 
  • They're more than capable of standing, smiling pretty, and walking down the aisle, so make them BMs.  Don't call them anything cutsie like 'minnie' or 'Jr', or somesuch.  Everyone can tell they are young, a diminuative title is just redundant.

Obviously they can't attend the Bach party if you take it to a bar, but that's about all that they can't do.
    Don't make me mobilize OffensiveKitten

Anniversary

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-party_teens-in-the-wp?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:37Discussion:85a66235-e2a2-4f16-807e-ff6b16f69d31Post:2057db40-cb01-4bba-990b-84d004625cc2">Teens in the WP</a>:
    [QUOTE]I have a 13 y/o cousin and a 14 y/o Soon to be step daughter.  Are teens too young to be bridesmaids?  Or would they be and obviously not partake in the adult festvities?  Not sure if they would normally be considered Jr. Bridesmaids or not.  I'm planning on takeing them out for a spa day and lunch for our own Bacholorette Day. Wedding isn't until a year and a half but i'm already starting to think of everything.  I want to do it all now so i'm not stressing the next year and half.
    Posted by Princessgia07[/QUOTE]

If you haven't completed picking your WP, wait. It's best to wait anywhere from 6-9 months prior to the wedding to pick your bridal party. I agree with PP and drop the "jr" title. A bridesmaid is a bridesmaid. If you want to have a separate "bachelorette day" with them I see no problem with that. If your bachelorette plans will end up being a night in, or something like bowling etc. there's no reason they couldn't tag along. The only time they wouldn't be able to attend is if you are going out to a bar/club etc. They can attend all the pre-wedding parties.
    Anniversary
  • I agree with PP to wait to finalize your wedding party. If you are having other women in your bridal party I would make sure they are ok with the fact that they may carry a little more of the responsibility when it comes to the bridal shower/bachlorette party. I'm guessing the teenage girls may not have the financial means the adults wiould have.

In regards to the special bachlorette party. A friend of mine planned an all day bachlorette party which allowed people to attend different parts. She had an aunt she wanted to invite who didn't want to do the bar thing and others joined in as time & money allowed. She started off at the spa, then we meet up for dinner & then went to a local bar where spouses joined us at later (mostly to give wives rides home). You could do the same so the girls get another part that they can be a part of with everyone else & then they could leave after dinner while you went out. 

• I think it's more than fine to have teens in the BP.

The large aspect is that if the BP opts to plan pre-wedding festivities, it would be best if they're more inclusive. 
  • You can have teens in your WP and don't have to call them "junior" anything.

They wouldn't be able to legally drink alcohol or go to places that don't allow people under specified ages in, but aside from that they can be included in everything else.
  • My H's little sister was one of my BMs, and she was only 10.  The only thing that she didn't do that the other BMs did was attend the bachelorette party.
  • Thanks Everyone!!!  That's what i figured!!!  I was planning on waiting to pick out the rest of my WP until about a year before hand.  But, my Maid and Matron and of coarse My soon to be step daughter and my cousin. 
  • I think it's fine for them to be bridesmaids.  I'm having two teens in mine, but they're older...17 and 18.  They're coming to the bachelorette party, but it's tame...we're just going out for dinner at a cool restaurant.  I think it's most important that you be surrounded by people you love regardless of their age :-)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards