Wedding Party

Re: c

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-party_would-you-go-cheaper-on-bridesmaids-gifts-if-you-bought-their-dresses?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:37Discussion:866aa4f1-384c-4186-8e42-c7c7091e0155Post:7d1de426-cb56-4370-bd00-6b4a4808d0b5">Would you go cheaper on bridesmaids gifts if you bought their dresses?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm having trouble with picking out bridesmaids gifts. Since I bought each girl their dresses, I only have about $30 per girl for a gift. I was planning on getting them each a totebag with their initials, a makeup bag inside with lip gloss, tissues, mints, nail files, and a small starbucks gift card (and am not including this in the $30 cost, I made the bags and the rest of the stuff was cheap), and then spend about $30 each and get the girls each a necklace that I think they'd like. However, when I started looking at jewlery, I couldn't find anything decent in my price range. Should I find something else for them?  And I know that I should shop for each girl like it is their birthday, but one of my bridesmaids is my FSIL and my FMIL will have a fit if I don't get her some sort of jewlery because "that's the traditional gift and anything else looks cheap." Problem is FSIL doesn't wear any jewelery and whenever I show FMIL something, she hates it. Any ideas? I feel like I'm being way too cheap, but I don't have any extra money. 
    Posted by SmallenForever[/QUOTE]
    You probably would have had more for the gift budget if you hadn't bought all the junk for the tote bag, but it sounds like that ship has sailed.  I would tell FMIL that times have changed and she needs to butt out; better yet, have your FI tell her.
    This is a neglected planning bio.
    This is a belated married bio, with no reviews yet because I'm lazy.

Sometimes I feel like people think that brides are delicate little flower princesses who get all dressed up and pretty for one special moment of their dreams, when really they're just normal people who just happen to be getting married. Things shouldn't have to be sugar-coated for grown-ass women. -mstar284
  • edited August 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-party_would-you-go-cheaper-on-bridesmaids-gifts-if-you-bought-their-dresses?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:37Discussion:866aa4f1-384c-4186-8e42-c7c7091e0155Post:1d0a3e36-47d4-482b-9d81-2a20226c2ed0">Re: Would you go cheaper on bridesmaids gifts if you bought their dresses?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Would you go cheaper on bridesmaids gifts if you bought their dresses? : <strong>You probably would have had more for the gift budget if you hadn't bought all the junk for the tote bag,</strong> but it sounds like that ship has sailed.  I would tell FMIL that times have changed and she needs to butt out; better yet, have your FI tell her.
    Posted by aerinpegadrak[/QUOTE]

<div>That stuff cost ten dollars total for all three, so really, if I didn't spend the money, it'd only add $3.33 to each gift budget. I got the gift cards free from work, the tote bags were a dollar each, I sewed the makeup bags from stuff I already had, so I only bought the lip gloss, mints, and nail files. And I'll talk to my FMIL but she tends not to listen and if I make any sort of mistake by her, she'll bad mouth me to everyone she knows. </div>
  • I think you could spend the $30 each on giftcards and call it a day. For the FSIL, her giftcard could be for someplace where she could either buy jewelry with it, if that is what she wants, or something else with it. You bought their dresses and made them a thoughtful gift. I think with the giftcards it is enough. Personally I think your FMIL should butt out, but if you asked for her input, you may have invited her criticisms with it.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-party_would-you-go-cheaper-on-bridesmaids-gifts-if-you-bought-their-dresses?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:37Discussion:866aa4f1-384c-4186-8e42-c7c7091e0155Post:c0e81af9-e44f-4249-adc1-1a6b7f7b3313">Re: Would you go cheaper on bridesmaids gifts if you bought their dresses?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I think you could spend the $30 each on giftcards and call it a day. For the FSIL, her giftcard could be for someplace where she could either buy jewelry with it, if that is what she wants, or something else with it. You bought their dresses and made them a thoughtful gift. I think with the giftcards it is enough. Personally I think your FMIL should butt out, but if you asked for her input, you may have invited her criticisms with it.
    Posted by Leenie10[/QUOTE]

<div>I didn't know that gift cards were really an option. Thanks!</div>
  • If you really want a necklace, have you considered Charming Charlie? They are like a grown up Claire's accessory store were everything is sorted by color. I buy all my accessories there, I love it! They have great price range from 1030 bucks for cool different necklaces. I've never had any of my stuff break or seem cheap!! Check them out!!
  • edited August 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-party_would-you-go-cheaper-on-bridesmaids-gifts-if-you-bought-their-dresses?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:37Discussion:866aa4f1-384c-4186-8e42-c7c7091e0155Post:2190ad82-bb64-43ca-a7d9-fbee568b75f8">Re:Would you go cheaper on bridesmaids gifts if you bought their dresses?</a>:
    [QUOTE]If you really want a necklace, have you considered Charming Charlie? They are like a grown up Claire's accessory store were everything is sorted by color. I buy all my accessories there, I love it! They have great price range from 1030 bucks for cool different necklaces. I've never had any of my stuff break or seem cheap!! Check them out!!
    Posted by katieh1988[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>I love Charming Charlies! Is there any rule to buying jewlery for bridesmaids gifts? Like, is costume jewlery okay or should I try to buy them something that'll last for years, like sterling silver? 

</div>
  • You don't have to buy jewelry at all, and if you choose to do it there are no rules.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I bought each girl in my BP a pendant off of etsy. I also bought sterling silver chains in bulk off ebay (make sure they are a US company - there are different qualities for sterling silver in each country).  Total for each pendant was around $20.  I tailored each pendant to each girls taste.  It was not a necklace for them to wear to the wedding, unless they chose to do so, like my sister and neice.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-party_would-you-go-cheaper-on-bridesmaids-gifts-if-you-bought-their-dresses?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:37Discussion:866aa4f1-384c-4186-8e42-c7c7091e0155Post:aca2666b-ce8a-43cc-bc51-61d3d1eac9ea">Re:Would you go cheaper on bridesmaids gifts if you bought their dresses?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re:Would you go cheaper on bridesmaids gifts if you bought their dresses? : I love Charming Charlies! Is there any rule to buying jewlery for bridesmaids gifts? Like, is costume jewlery okay or should I try to buy them something that'll last for years, like sterling silver? 
    Posted by SmallenForever[/QUOTE]

I'm getting my girls their jewelry from Charming Charlies. They have an evening section with some cute options. If you want them all to have the same necklace & they don't have enough in the store, you can order more online. You don't have to get them something that will last for years. That's what the photos & memories are for. And for the person who is picky, ask her to go with you there to help get just the right thing. But Charming Charlies will have me and my girls looking great & on a budge too. I got my girls each earrings, necklace & bracelt for about $30 each.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-party_would-you-go-cheaper-on-bridesmaids-gifts-if-you-bought-their-dresses?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:37Discussion:866aa4f1-384c-4186-8e42-c7c7091e0155Post:feb39702-6c0f-430a-a7b8-5499cbee9cd0">Re: Would you go cheaper on bridesmaids gifts if you bought their dresses?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Why on earth would you buy your friends and family a gift you know they don't like just to please your FMIL?  Get them $30 giftcards, or use the $30 to buy them something they each like.  It's pretty crappy to stick your FSIL (or any BM) with a gift they don't want just to please someone else.
    Posted by StageManager14[/QUOTE]

<div>My bridesmaids (minus my FSIL) will like whatever I pick. I know their tastes well enough. It's my FMIL that is demanding that I get my FSIL some jewlery, even though I know she'll hate it. But it doesn't really matter; they'll complain about whatever I pick anyways.</div>
  • In Response to Re:Would you go cheaper on bridesmaids gifts if you bought their dresses?:[QUOTE] love Charming Charlies! Is there any rule to buying jewlery for bridesmaids gifts? Like, is costume jewlery okay or should I try to buy them something that'll last for years, like sterling silver?nbsp; Posted by SmallenForever[/QUOTE]

I personally would not be upset with jewelry from cc, especially if each of us got a different piece. You know your girls best. I'm a bright color sort of person so I like the selection at cc. Maybe if you have a more tradition/classic bridesmaid you could find a sterling silver piece at kohls on sale or something like that!!
  • try something sentimental and affordable...
    Tons of cute unique gift ideas! check out http://www.etsy.com/shop/moonstonecreation. it is such a cute shop with tons of handstamped jewelry, bottle openers, military related jewelry, keychains, cufflinks, etc... Makes great wedding gifts for bridesmaids & groomsmen. I really like the key chain with a line from your vows stamped on. My hubby is reminded of our day and our promise everday.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards