Wedding Party
Options

Moh hair do

I have really short hair, so I can't really do anything to fancy. Yes, I could get extensions, but I want to be myself at my wedding. My moh wants this cute up do, but I think it's a bit much considering my lack of hair. Am I wrong for telling her no?

Re: Moh hair do

• Options
    Yes.  If she is paying for her own hair she can do whatever she wants with it  It is her hair after all.  Her hair/updo will not upstage you, the bride, at all.

The only time that it is ok for you to tell her specifically what you want her to do with her hair (excluding cutting or color change) is if you pay for it.  So if you really don't want her to wear her hair up I suggest forking over some money.

• Options
    Your MOH's updo is not going to outshine you (the bride! and one of the reasons the event is happening!) on your wedding day.  Let your MOH do her hair how she will be comfortable doing it.   As for short hair styles, accessories are your friend.  Are you wearing a veil?  Can you add a headband or a clip to your hairstyle?
  • Options
    Why do people think that an updo is a magical, mystical portal to unbeatable princess glamour?  It's hair, people.  FFS.
    This is a neglected planning bio.
    This is a belated married bio, with no reviews yet because I'm lazy.

Sometimes I feel like people think that brides are delicate little flower princesses who get all dressed up and pretty for one special moment of their dreams, when really they're just normal people who just happen to be getting married. Things shouldn't have to be sugar-coated for grown-ass women. -mstar284
  • Options
    sluvian873sluvian873 member
    First Comment
    edited August 2012
    I realize it's not her fault I have short hair.. But it is MY wedding. They aren't magical, but she will stand out if she's the only one with an up do.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-party_moh-hair-do?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:37Discussion:932ff708-0f15-4048-baec-05bdb18945c5Post:9d1db8f9-6daf-4c6c-b21f-bd2e23c81ef7">Re:Moh hair do</a>:
    [QUOTE]I realize it's not her fault I have short hair.. But it is MY wedding.
    Posted by sluvian873[/QUOTE]
    You automatically lose all credibility when you put the possessive pronoun before "wedding" in all caps.  Yes, it's your wedding.  It's also your FI's wedding, and it's the party of anyone else who might be paying.  And when you invite people to share in the day as attendants and guests, you have to take their enjoyment and comfort into account as well.<div>
    </div><div>Saying "It's MY wedding" makes you sound exactly like a spoiled child saying, "It's MY toy."</div><div>
    </div><div>It's.  Just.  Hair.  Get over yourself.</div>

Sometimes I feel like people think that brides are delicate little flower princesses who get all dressed up and pretty for one special moment of their dreams, when really they're just normal people who just happen to be getting married. Things shouldn't have to be sugar-coated for grown-ass women. -mstar284
  • Options
    In Response to Re:Moh hair do:[QUOTE]In Response to Re:Moh hair do:I realize it's not her fault I have short hair.. But it is MY wedding.Posted by sluvian873You automatically lose all credibility when you put the possessive pronoun before "wedding" in all caps. nbsp;Yes, it's your wedding. nbsp;It's also your FI's wedding, and it's the party of anyone else who might be paying. nbsp;And when you invite people to share in the day as attendants and guests, you have to take their enjoyment and comfort into account as well.Saying "It's MY wedding" makes you sound exactly like a spoiled child saying, "It's MY toy."It's. nbsp;Just. nbsp;Hair. nbsp;Get over yourself. Posted by aerinpegadrak[/QUOTE]
    I didn't post this to argue with people. So please, say something helpful, or don't say anything at all.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-party_moh-hair-do?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:37Discussion:932ff708-0f15-4048-baec-05bdb18945c5Post:9d1db8f9-6daf-4c6c-b21f-bd2e23c81ef7">Re:Moh hair do</a>:
    [QUOTE]I realize it's not her fault I have short hair.. <strong>But it is MY wedding</strong>. They aren't magical, but she will stand out if she's the only one with an up do.

Yeah, that should be the first (hopefully) and last time you say that sentence.  It isn't just your wedding...unless you plan on marrying yourself which I doubt.  Also, this is suppose to be one of your nearest and dearest friends.  Just because you are getting married does not give you the right to go all bridezilla and force her to wear her hair a certain way.  Like PP said, it is just hair and in no way will people be so mesmerized by her hair that they will forget why they are at the event.

• Options
    In Response to Re:Moh hair do:[QUOTE]Your MOH's updo is not going to outshine you the bride! and one of the reasons the event is happening! on your wedding day. nbsp;Let your MOH do her hair how she will be comfortable doing it. nbsp; As for short hair styles, accessories are your friend. nbsp;Are you wearing a veil? nbsp;Can you add a headband or a clip to your hairstyle? Posted by ericaandtom2012[/QUOTE]

I can and have looked at them. Im not asking her to pay to have her hair done.. I want them to leave their hair down, either straight or curly. Both styles can be done without spending a dime. I guess you'd have to see what she wanted to some what understand where I'm coming from. I'm a plain jane, being in the white dress won't prevent people from outshining me. Thanks for actual saying something helpful! :
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-party_moh-hair-do?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:37Discussion:932ff708-0f15-4048-baec-05bdb18945c5Post:4d5560ea-2479-4ebe-abc5-bdad4add5a79">Re:Moh hair do</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re:Moh hair do: I didn't post this to argue with people. So please, say something helpful, or don't say anything at all.
    I did say something helpful: Leave it alone.<div>
    </div><div>Look, how do you think this conversation is going to go?  "I'm sorry, but I can't have anyone for a moment possibly thinking that you look prettier than me, so you're not allowed to wear your hair up."  There is absolutely no way that you are going to be able to justify this decision to her, no matter how right you think you are (since you're clearly just looking for validation), without sounding batshit insane.  So don't try.  Your wedding is six hours and then it's done forever, and this person is hopefully going to be in your life for much longer, as long as you don't piss her off for no reason for the sake of that six hour party.  Not one person in attendance is going to notice or give a damn that she's the only person with her hair up.</div>

• Options
    I'm on my phone.. I can't post pictures. So I can do what you all suggested.. Let her do what she wants. I can wear some accessory.. What about the other bridesmaid who probably couldn't afford to get her hair done? I like things to be uniform.
  • Options
    aerinpegadrakaerinpegadrak member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited August 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-party_moh-hair-do?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:37Discussion:932ff708-0f15-4048-baec-05bdb18945c5Post:5f4e0521-3ae8-4c38-8016-392c943ec5a9">Re:Moh hair do</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm on my phone.. I can't post pictures. So I can do what you all suggested.. Let her do what she wants. I can wear some accessory.. What about the other bridesmaid who probably couldn't afford to get her hair done? <strong>I like things to be uniform.</strong>
    They're not things, they're people.  Hair is very personal, and something that looks good on one person might not look good on another.  Let them wear their hair however they want.  It's what a good friend and good hostess would do.  I couldn't tell you how any of my BMs did their hair without checking pictures, but I know they were all happy and comfortable and beautiful for that.  They wouldn't have been nearly as pretty as Stepford clones.

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-party_moh-hair-do?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:37Discussion:932ff708-0f15-4048-baec-05bdb18945c5Post:f2c7bce1-55fc-4398-a1e4-123e9f2cb07e">Re:Moh hair do</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re:Moh hair do: I can and have looked at them. Im not asking her to pay to have her hair done.. I want them to leave their hair down, either straight or curly. Both styles can be done without spending a dime. I guess you'd have to see what she wanted to some what understand where I'm coming from. I'm a plain jane, being <strong>in the white dress won't prevent people from outshining me.</strong> Thanks for actual saying something helpful! :

FFS, you are the BRIDE for crying out loud.  You are half the reason (your groom is the other half) people are going to come to your wedding...because you and your FI are getting married!!!

I'm sorry but your MOH can do whatever she wants to her hair...she can shave it, she can dye it lime green, she can wear it as a mohawk, and hell she could wear it to look like Cousin It!

You really are stressing out over something that no one will really even notice.  I have been to many weddings where one or two BMs had their hair professionally done and not others, or the BMs hair was fancier then the brides but I thought, "oh her hair looks nice" and then moved on.  Not once did the hair style distract me from the fact that two people were getting married or that the bride looked gorgeous and the groom looked handsome and that they were beaming with happiness.

It. Is. Just. Hair!

• Options
    You all sound much more frustrated then my post did. : it's not that it'll take away from me.. It's just them having these fancy up dos while I have a shiny clip is weird. But a good point was made... They both won't look good with the style that's wanted.
  • Options
    Although Im plain.. So out shining me is easy.
  • Options
    It's not weird, because you chose to have short hair.  I was just in a wedding where the bride was paying for everyone to get their hair done.  There were four updos (pretty fancy ones) and the bride wore her hair down in loose curls.  Not a single person other than the BM noticed the fancy updos, because the bride, was ya know, THE BRIDE!
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-party_moh-hair-do?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:37Discussion:932ff708-0f15-4048-baec-05bdb18945c5Post:3eb1768e-4259-493f-9045-ffce508dfdaf">Re:Moh hair do</a>:
    [QUOTE]Although Im plain.. So out shining me is easy.

You really need to stop thinking this way.  You need to realize that no matter how "plain" you think you are going to look as a bride you will be the most beautiful person at your wedding.  And not because of what your hair looks like, or your makeup, or your dress, but because you will be the happiest that you probably have ever been.  A beaming, smiling bride will always be the most gorgeous person in the room.  And no one can out shine that.

• Options
    Although some of the post came off as rude, a few were helpful. I'll let them do as they please. The hair do is cute but something I wouldn't wear if I had hair. Oh, and thanks for pointing out having short hair is my fault. I was kind of aware of that... Yup.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-party_moh-hair-do?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:37Discussion:932ff708-0f15-4048-baec-05bdb18945c5Post:90186fb2-66c7-4ef2-96f9-3b57e541d82b">Re:Moh hair do</a>:
    [QUOTE]Although some of the post came off as rude, a few were helpful. I'll let them do as they please. <strong>The hair do is cute but something I wouldn't wear if I had hair</strong>. Oh, and thanks for pointing out having short hair is my fault. I was kind of aware of that... Yup.

Then it's a good thing you're not wearing it.
  • Options
    AdeleDazeemAdeleDazeem member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited August 2012
    Let them do their hair as they please.  It really doesn't matter.

No one will outshine you on your wedding day - promise.

And... honestly, what if they do?  You're getting married.  I'm pretty sure the sky could have fallen, the hotel burned down, and my dress been ruined before the ceremony, and I *still* would have thought my wedding was perfect.  I got married to my husband - nothing beats that.

I'm also a plain jane and own it.  Just own who you are.

EDIT: Uniformity among bridesmaids down to hair, accessories, shoes, etc... is really falling out of favor.  Let your bridesmaids be who they are - that's why you love them.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-party_moh-hair-do?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:37Discussion:932ff708-0f15-4048-baec-05bdb18945c5Post:3eb1768e-4259-493f-9045-ffce508dfdaf">Re:Moh hair do</a>:
    [QUOTE]Although Im plain.. So out shining me is easy.
    A. Every (happy) bride shines.  It's that thing called happiness; it makes people shine.  You will stand out as you are one half of the couple getting married.

B.  Weddings are about marrying the love of your life, not about outshining everyone else there.  You getting married makes you a soon-to-be bride, not a princess or the Queen of Sheba.

C.  Your friends are not props, mannequins, or life-size barbie dolls.  You have absolutely no right to tell them how to style their hair.

• Options
    I have hair that does nothing. Literally, nothing ex cept be straight. My hair does not hold a curl for longer than 5 seconds, so my only option is an updo. I wouldn't be happy if the bride demanded I wear my hair down. It's a hair do. You're very much so over thinking. You need to let them wear their hair however they want it.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards