Wedding Party
Options

NWR: my 5K results!

As some of you know, I've been training for a 5K since joining weight watchers. So I timed in at 27:15, placed 7th in my age and gender group, and placed 100 out of 823 women. I'm pretty stoked! DH also ran, but we split up.

I've never seen so many kids throw up before....finish line was seriously barf city. I was so surprised that I was beating little 6-12 year olds. WTF, I'm not as young as them and don't have PE class anymore.
Sunbonnet or cone of shame? You be the judge! Trixie's Blog
My Planning Bio
My Married Bio updated March 4

Re: NWR: my 5K results!

• Options
    Stina, that's fast! Good for you...although I hope you managed to avoid the barf. Eww.
  • Options
    I'm one of those people who when they see puke, they might puke. Add in the exhaustion and the blood rushing through your body after running faster than you've ever run before and you bet I was fighting the urge. 

I really only puke when I am sick. I find it crazy that your body would puke from exercise. I guess their bodies were rejecting the 5K. 

Literally, I saw at least 5 kids under the age of 12 that puked all over their own shoes. lol.

I saw at least 4 people over the age of 30 that were carried away by the EMS on a stretcher. I had no idea that running was so dangerous. I guess the added heat was leading to dehydration.
    My Planning Bio
  • Options
    When I was training for the half marathon, the pukey feeling was the worst part. No matter what I did - eating/drinking before/after or not - half an hour after my run I would just want to die for an hour or so. My strategy became to eat as quickly as I could before I started feeling sick and then get into bed.
  • Options
    megk8ozmegk8oz member
    First Comment
    Dude, that's awesome! Well, except for the whole puke thing, lol. But your actual results are awesome!

If you fire a WP member, you're against America.

"Meg cracks me up on the regular. Now she gets to do it in two different forums. Yay!!" ~mkrupar
  • Options
    I've been thinking of you all day.  Congrats finishing with a great time.  How did your hubs do?
    Ignorance is a poor defense. Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    Yippee! I'm so glad you did so well...although reading about the barf is kind of making me turn a little green around the gills.

Keep up the good work!
    It's a girl!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I am happy that I didn't spew. That's a very happy Stina there!

DH ran a 30:19, came in 24/40 in his age and gender, and 524/903 overall in his gender. I'm really proud of him. He was stoked that he was faster than most of the kids. He said that he kept thinking, "Cmon kids, if I'm doing this, you SHOULD be doing this well too."

I am pretty stoked that I got the t shirt too. yes lame, I will only wear it to bed because it's too big, but whenever I see it, I'll think "Hey I did that!"
    My Planning Bio
  • Options
    Congrats!!  The tee-shirts are the best part :-)

Congrats on the awesome time, and avoiding the barf!
  • Options
    haha! I am glad I could avoid it too.

I liked how we got lots of donated food. Unfortunately, being on WW, I was still looking to avoid bad foods. Boo, no cookies or muffins for me.

I did try the Honest Teas grape juice and it was pretty good. Very natural tasting and very little sugar. What sugar was in it was natural.
    My Planning Bio
  • Options
    Yay Stina!  You look fantastic!!    Congrats to your hubby too, good for him!!
  • Options
    congrats on your 5k! DH got me into running because he's all crazy and wants to do an iron man in the next few years. It's definitely a great feeling when you finish!
    TTC Buddies with JennaHack and 102007(Congrats!)!
    Baby Blog
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Well this is amazing.  I don't run unless I'm being chased.  Congrats! 

How does one train for this?  I lack motivation and energy when it comes to exercise, and I still have 3 baby lbs taunting me.  Maybe if I had an awesome goal like this, it would be a motivating factor.  How did you get started and what did training entail?  Have you always been a runner? 
  • Options
    Mel, I started training for a 10k a couple years ago because I needed a goal - exercising just because it's good for me does NOT interest me. If you google something like "5k training" you can find a plan to get started, or the "couch to 5k" program is really popular for people who are really not runners.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-party_nwr-5k-results?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:37Discussion:b8392f94-8d02-43fc-a8c3-09f5c00fdef4Post:d51d69e9-d0aa-4d71-9243-f6d472610464">Re: NWR: my 5K results!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Well this is amazing.  I don't run unless I'm being chased.  Congrats!  How does one train for this?  I lack motivation and energy when it comes to exercise, and I still have 3 baby lbs taunting me.  Maybe if I had an awesome goal like this, it would be a motivating factor.  How did you get started and what did training entail?  Have you always been a runner? 
    Posted by The Mel and Todd Show[/QUOTE]

<div>I used the weight watchers training program. Literally, it's a calendar and every day it either says rest or run one minute, walk one minute, repeat. Every week the amounts get increased. It was amazing. The first week, we couldn't even run one minute without getting cramps and wanting to quit. It's a 6 week thing.</div>
    My Planning Bio
  • Options
    Awesome!

The barf thing would make me wanna barf too- gross!
    dont make ur password so easy. gbck2CA2 hahahaha
  • Options
    haha, it was tough!

I am glad it's over now though. My legs are definitely feeling it today! I never train on hills and we had some yesterday. Also, we don't normally run in the sun. It was hard.
    My Planning Bio
  • Options

Awesome Stina! I used to run X-country in high school, so I know how hard it can get at times...but you gotta love the runner's high afterward!

Anniversary
    White Knot
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Oh I totally know that feeling now. My hands actually flew up in the air when I finished. it was totally involuntarily. 
    My Planning Bio
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards