Wedding Party

Parents hate one of the GMs

Ok. So I dated one of my fiance's GMs for 2 1/2 years in high school and we had a pretty nasty break up.  He and my fiance are really good friends, and now we're kind of friends to.  My parents really can't stand anything about the GM, so I haven't told them yet that he's going to be in the wedding (they know that we hang out together, and they can't stand it).  I'm not getting married until next year...What should I do? (My parents are paying for the wedding)

Re: Parents hate one of the GMs

• That seems awkward but oh well:

They can't dictate who your FI chooses any more than you can. If they really want to be childish and pull their money because of a GM than let them and pay for the wedding yourself. Unfortunately money comes with strings.

Anniversary
  • Don't say anything unless they ask.  And if they put up a fuss, just say, "This is how it is."  Let them knowt hat YOU are over the breakup clearly.  You're not marrying the guy!
  • You shouldn't/can't really do anything.  If your parents have that big of a problem with this man (despite the fact that I hope high school was many years in your past) then that is their problem to deal with and not yours-and certainly not your FI's.

If they pull the money then pay for the wedding yourself. 
  • This isn't your issue. Your FI picked him as a GM so its his issue really. But unless they ask I wouldn't tell them. If your parents pull their money then I guess you will have to pay for it yourself.

• A year out seems early to pick WP who are not blood relatives.  Otherwise, I would say something along the lines of  - "That was high school.  I've forgiven him for being a stupid little boy, why can't you?"  HTH
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards