Wedding Party
Options

WPBP of the day

Is your DH/FI good at picking out gifts for you?

When at the airport, who takes longer in the security line? You or FI/DH?

In a short explanation, do you approve of the full body scanners/aggressive pat downs at the airports? Have you already had to do one?

In your family, who is the hardest to buy a present for?

Who here celebrates Hannukah?

Sunbonnet or cone of shame? You be the judge! Trixie's Blog
My Planning Bio
My Married Bio updated March 4

Re: WPBP of the day

• Options
    Is your DH/FI good at picking out gifts for you? Heck yeah. He chooses beautiful and/or very useful gifts.

When at the airport, who takes longer in the security line? You or FI/DH? We're both pretty quick, I think.

In a short explanation, do you approve of the full body scanners/aggressive pat downs at the airports? Have you already had to do one? I have not had to do one, but I really don't get it. The fact that a guy was arrested for getting his shake on while watching everyone on the scanner is pretty gross. I guess I really don't care one way or the other. If I want to fly, I need to abide by the rules of the airlines. Frankly, I think it would be better if we just did what all other countries do and arm the security personnel to the teeth. There's a reason why places like Nicaragua and such don't have any issues. You're not going to pull a saftey razor on a guy carrying an Uzi.

In your family, who is the hardest to buy a present for? My father. He never knows what he wants.

Who here celebrates Hannukah? Not I.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Hawaii with my best friend =)
    Photobucket
  • Options
    Is your DH/FI good at picking out gifts for you? For the most part. There have been a few impulse buys on his part at jewelry shops in Mexico and leather stores where he buys a purse for me with tassels.
    When at the airport, who takes longer in the security line? You or FI/DH? He does! He usually has 2 laptops in his carry on, as well as multiple cell phones. Oh, and he likes to take his sweet old time too, because he had to take it all out in the first place.
    In a short explanation, do you approve of the full body scanners/aggressive pat downs at the airports? Have you already had to do one? I had to do a body scan over a year ago. I didn't know what was happeneing. Aaron told me later "they can see through your clothes"....I think I was pulled out of line for my body, yes I do. But you know what? I'd rather be safe than sorry. I am more uncomfortable with the hard pat down.
    In your family, who is the hardest to buy a present for? Probably my dad because he already has everything and when he actually finds something he wants, he goes out and buys it immediately.
    Who here celebrates Hannukah? We do. It starts tomorrow. I'm so excited!
    Sunbonnet or cone of shame? You be the judge! Trixie's Blog
    My Planning Bio
    My Married Bio updated March 4
  • Options
    Is your DH/FI good at picking out gifts for you? Absolutely. He is so thoughtful and really picks out great gifts for me. 

When at the airport, who takes longer in the security line? You or FI/DH? We've never flown anywhere together. But it would probably be H. He's like the Pokey Little Puppy.

In a short explanation, do you approve of the full body scanners/aggressive pat downs at the airports? Have you already had to do one? I don't support them. I think this kind of aggressive security is a slippery slope and I don't know if anyone has thought about the possible health detriments frequent scans could have on frequent fliers.

In your family, who is the hardest to buy a present for? My sister. She's...what's a nice way to put it...persnickity. I got her free Netflix last year. She never used it (I got the email telling me it was expiring unused just a few weeks ago). She likes movies. Who doesn't want Netflix if you like movies? I feel like every gift I get her is a failure.

Who here celebrates Hannukah? Not me. But I do appreciate the Hannukah Song.
    It's a girl!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    tldhtldh member
    First Comment
    edited November 2010
    He is amazingly good.  He'll remember something I mentioned months ago that I've forgotten about and it winds up being a b-day or Christmas present.

We both travel a lot so it's the same.  Right after 9/11 though, he got pulled out every. damn. time. because of his Mediterranean coloring. He was travelling twice a week at the time so having it happen 100% of the time was really infuriating.

In a short explanation, do you approve of the full body scanners/aggressive pat downs at the airports? Have you already had to do one?
    I went through the full body scanner in San Francisco and it was no big deal.  I was yelling ten years ago that we needed these scanners.

My youngest brother

Not me.
    AKA GoodLuckBear14
  • Options
    Is your DH/FI good at picking out gifts for you? Yes.

When at the airport, who takes longer in the security line? You or FI/DH? We're both pretty fast.

In a short explanation, do you approve of the full body scanners/aggressive pat downs at the airports? Have you already had to do one? I haven't done one, but I think they're an overreaction and a "look, we're protecting you!" rather than necessarily a well thought-out solution to the underlying security problems the US faces, and I don't think people's privacy should be borderline violated without it being for a good solution.

In your family, who is the hardest to buy a present for? My ILs are tough.

Who here celebrates Hannukah? Nope.
  • Options
    He's amazing at it ... I'm such a pain to shop for, too (I never know what I want ... it actually took quite the effort for me to make my SS requests), but somehow, he manages to always find something perfect anyway. 

I have no idea ... we've actually never flown anywhere together. 

I don't mind the scanners, because nobody's touching me. But I do mind being "molested" (As I call it) by security. Personally, the thought of some stranger searching me so thoroughly is actually off-putting enough to prevent me from wanting to fly anywhere. I'm the first to admit I have major personal space issues.

Toss up between DH and my mom. My mom is like me-has no idea what she wants ... and on top of that she insists everybody should "save their money" instead of getting her a gift whenever you try to get ideas. Meanwhile, DH is used to giving his family a list of what he wants (His parents just flat out ask him to list a few things) and then not getting a single thing on it for whatever reason, so he'll tell me he wants something ... and then go out and buy it himself like a week later.

I don't.

If you fire a WP member, you're against America.

"Meg cracks me up on the regular. Now she gets to do it in two different forums. Yay!!" ~mkrupar
  • Options
    jaimed99jaimed99 member
    First Comment
    edited November 2010
    Is your DH/FI good at picking out gifts for you? No, not really...and it's sad, because we've known each other for 17 years...
    When at the airport, who takes longer in the security line? You or FI/DH? FI has never been on a plane, so I wouldn't know...I tend to go through pretty quickly though.
    In a short explanation, do you approve of the full body scanners/aggressive pat downs at the airports? Have you already had to do one? I really don't care...if it keeps our planes safe, go for it. I'd much prefer to not be on a plane that gets jacked and crashed, thanks. I also don't fly often enough to be concerned about it...I think I've flown under a dozen times in my life...
    In your family, who is the hardest to buy a present for? My brother...I never know what he wants or needs...but this year I got him...he borrowed my mixer to make something last week, so I bought him one for Christmas :)
    Who here celebrates Hannukah? not me...although I have several friends who do :)
  • Options
    Is your DH/FI good at picking out gifts for you? generally yes, but his impulse gifts tend to be bad.  I think I finally got it through to him that he is never ever supposed to give me flowers or plant.

When at the airport, who takes longer in the security line? You or FI/DH? We've never flown together, so I don't know.  Our first flight together will be the honeymoon.  I'm afraid something will happen and I'll get arrested.  see below

In a short explanation, do you approve of the full body scanners/aggressive pat downs at the airports? Have you already had to do one? Completely disapprove.  Police can't randomly strip search people on the street, or even search a criminal w/out a warrant.  I'm not a lawyer, but IMO it's a 4th amendment violation.  I would refuse a scan.  

Strangers touching me causes panic attacks.  I've had 2 at the dr's office, which is why I avoid the dr unless FI makes me go b/c I'm sick.  I'm seriously afraid someone will try to search me at the airport, and I'll have another attack and get arrested for not cooperating.

In your family, who is the hardest to buy a present for? FMIL

Who here celebrates Hannukah? not me, but I like hearing about others' celebrations
  • Options
    bdulli13bdulli13 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited November 2010
    Definitely. He knows I love experiences more than I love things, and for my last birthday got me tickets to American Idiot. Perfect.

Funny story actually. We have only traveled by plane once together, when we went to Yosemite, where he proposed. We had a super early flight that we never went to sleep before, and when we were in security, he was rushing through and went to a different line than us. I was commenting to his sister and BIL how he is so competitive, and we were busting his chops for a bit about it. Little did I know it was because he had to empty his pockets... where he was keeping the ring.

The scanners don't bother me personally very much, but the fact that my father has health issues and flies twice a week from major airports for work does concern me, as far as the long term health risks. I will experience it for the first time in January, and I will let you know. I would prefer the scanning to the touching though, for sure. Although, I agree with Manwa-- Uzi's for everyone!

My dad! Ugh. He just buys himself whatever he wants and leaves nothing for the rest of us!

Not me
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • Options
    tldhtldh member
    First Comment
    edited November 2010
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-party_wpbp-of-day-264?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:37Discussion:cc176d09-d8e9-4722-af42-7fa4f1df876bPost:63492d38-25b9-4384-877e-348fba335922">Re: WPBP of the day</a>:
    [QUOTE]Police can't randomly strip search people on the street, or even search a criminal w/out a warrant.  I'm not a lawyer, but IMO it's a 4th amendment violation.  I would refuse a scan.   Posted by jenn.daniel[/QUOTE]

The difference is that flying is a privilege and not a right; you don't have to fly.  There will be arguments made in court on both sides but given the conservative leaning of almost every Federal court in the country, including the Supreme Court, I'm going to say that the searches will be upheld.
    AKA GoodLuckBear14
  • Options
    Is your DH/FI good at picking out gifts for you?  Yeah, he's really good at it.  He got me an iPad for my birthday, I think he won for life.

When at the airport, who takes longer in the security line? You or FI/DH?  We're both pretty quick. 

In a short explanation, do you approve of the full body scanners/aggressive pat downs at the airports? Have you already had to do one?  I think the term "security theater" is accurate.  There's never been any indication that the scanners have actually, you know, caught anything, and there's lots of stuff that they've missed:  http://gizmodo.com/5697222/adam-savage-mythbusting-airport-security-wtf-tsa Apparently they're reevaluating based on the public outcry, and I'm going to do everything I can to avoid flying until they do.

In your family, who is the hardest to buy a present for?  My stepdad.

Who here celebrates Hannukah?  Not me, sorry.
    This is a neglected planning bio.
    This is a belated married bio, with no reviews yet because I'm lazy.

Sometimes I feel like people think that brides are delicate little flower princesses who get all dressed up and pretty for one special moment of their dreams, when really they're just normal people who just happen to be getting married. Things shouldn't have to be sugar-coated for grown-ass women. -mstar284
  • Options
    Is your DH/FI good at picking out gifts for you?  Yes!  He always seems to know exactly what I want. Often better than I do. :)

When at the airport, who takes longer in the security line? You or FI/DH?  I don't usually carry on much, so FI.  We're both pretty quick though.

In a short explanation, do you approve of the full body scanners/aggressive pat downs at the airports? Have you already had to do one?  No.  I don't believe they're keeping us any safer, and I think they're a gross violation of people's right to privacy and to be free from unreasonable searches.  If my choices are to have a naked picture taken of me, be groped or not fly, I'm choosing not to fly.  Besides, the primary "benefit" of the changes has been that they've found more people with minute quantities of drugs.  I don't give a shiit about that, certainly not enough to give up my rights.  Thankfully I haven't had to do one yet, but I don't fly very often.  And as long as these policies are in place, that's not likely to change.

In your family, who is the hardest to buy a present for?  Definitely my dad or my brother.
    Planning Our Wedding - Updated 04/11/11
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
    "If you can't think of something nice to say, don't say something nice" - Stephen Colbert
  • Options
    Is your DH/FI good at picking out gifts for you? Yes.  I can't think of anything he's given me that I haven't loved.

When at the airport, who takes longer in the security line? You or FI/DH? I don't know.  We've only flown together once, and that was a few years ago.  Neither of us had any issues getting through.

In a short explanation, do you approve of the full body scanners/aggressive pat downs at the airports? Have you already had to do one? I really don't care either way about the body scanners.  I don't like the aggressive pat downs.  Like the 6 year old kid they strip searched at an airport?  He's 6...come on!!!

Ditto Manwa's Uzi philosophy.

H and I leave on Saturday for our honeymoon (so I won't be around next week.)  Anyway, we are flying out of a relatively small airport so I don't think we will have to worry about the body scanners.

In your family, who is the hardest to buy a present for? MIL.  I absolutely never have any idea what to buy her.  H never has any ideas either, so I usually try to get an idea from SIL, but she generally can't come up with anything either.

Who here celebrates Hannukah? Not me.
  • Options
    lalap69lalap69 member
    First Comment
    edited November 2010
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-party_wpbp-of-day-264?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:37Discussion:cc176d09-d8e9-4722-af42-7fa4f1df876bPost:5d7940f6-1fa3-4240-9354-6f7c9d6414ab">Re: WPBP of the day</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: WPBP of the day : The difference is that flying is a privilege and not a right; you don't have to fly.  There will be arguments made in court on both sides but given the conservative leaning of almost every Federal court in the country, including the Supreme Court, I'm going to say that the searches will be upheld.
    Posted by tldh[/QUOTE]
    You don't forfeit your rights when you engage your privileges though.  Driving is also a privilege, the police still need to have reasonable cause to search your car.
    "If you can't think of something nice to say, don't say something nice" - Stephen Colbert
  • Options

When at the airport, who takes longer in the security line? You or FI/DH? Um...probably him, because he insists on wearing a belt and sneakers with laces.

In a short explanation, do you approve of the full body scanners/aggressive pat downs at the airports? Have you already had to do one? I'm not sure.  No, not yet.

In your family, who is the hardest to buy a present for? My grandfather.

Who here celebrates Hannukkah?  I've been to Hannukkah celebration, but I don't celebrate it.

Books read in 2012: 21/50

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

• Options
    Is your DH/FI good at picking out gifts for you?  Yes, sometimes.  He got my diamond earrings recently, so you could say I'm a happy lady.
    When at the airport, who takes longer in the security line? You or FI/DH?  We've only flown once together, and I honestly don't remember who took longer.
    In a short explanation, do you approve of the full body scanners/aggressive pat downs at the airports? Have you already had to do one?  I don't think I care all that much.  I guess I look at flying like driving - it's a privilege, not a right.  You know what you're getting into so if you have a problem take another mode of transportation.
    In your family, who is the hardest to buy a present for?  Older brother... his interests change regularly.
    Who here celebrates Hannukah?  Not I.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-party_wpbp-of-day-264?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:37Discussion:cc176d09-d8e9-4722-af42-7fa4f1df876bPost:5d7940f6-1fa3-4240-9354-6f7c9d6414ab">Re: WPBP of the day</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: WPBP of the day : The difference is that flying is a privilege and not a right; you don't have to fly.  There will be arguments made in court on both sides but given the conservative leaning of almost every Federal court in the country, including the Supreme Court, I'm going to say that the searches will be upheld.
    Posted by tldh[/QUOTE]

You're right, I don't have to.  Unfortunately, FI and FFIL talked me into flying to the oneymoon before these new regulations.  If we'd now about this before I would have insisted on the train and planned the wedding for earlier in the day to catch the train right after the wedding. 

If we had the scanner they have in the Netherlands, which show asexual blobs, that would be better.  Besides my opnion about it being unconstitutional,  I really don't want anyone looking at me naked (besides FI).  Unfortunately, the TSA doesn't care about my modesty.   I realize I'm on the reality conservative end of the modesty spectrum though, and it's not an argument that holds much weight.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-party_wpbp-of-day-264?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:37Discussion:cc176d09-d8e9-4722-af42-7fa4f1df876bPost:4b28fb13-d5f3-41b5-a604-67d9f09ea521">Re: WPBP of the day</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: WPBP of the day : You don't forfeit your rights when you engage your privileges though.  Driving is also a privilege, the police still need to have reasonable cause to search your car.
    Posted by lalap69[/QUOTE]

You have an expectation of privacy in your car.  You own it, you control it and what is inside of it.  You don't own the plane, you don't control the plane or what is inside of it.  You also have a national security aspect here also. 

Security is never going to be perfect but the government does not have the finances required to employ teams of FBI behavioral analysts in every airport in the country who could properly profile, complete checks like  in Israel is also impractical and arming aircraft personnel was considered after 9/11 and quickly dismissed - can you imagine training every flight attendant to essentially be an air marshall?
    AKA GoodLuckBear14
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-party_wpbp-of-day-264?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:37Discussion:cc176d09-d8e9-4722-af42-7fa4f1df876bPost:5135bc00-769c-4a7f-bb92-b511ebd35156">Re: WPBP of the day</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: WPBP of the day : You're right, I don't have to.  Unfortunately, FI and FFIL talked me into flying to the oneymoon before these new regulations.  If we'd now about this before I would have insisted on the train and planned the wedding for earlier in the day to catch the train right after the wedding.  <strong>If we had the scanner they have in the Netherlands, which show asexual blobs, that would be better.  Besides my opnion about it being unconstitutional,  I really don't want anyone looking at me naked (besides FI).  Unfortunately, the TSA doesn't care about my modesty.</strong> <strong>  I realize I'm on the reality conservative end of the modesty spectrum though, and it's not an argument that holds much weight.
    </strong>Posted by jenn.daniel[/QUOTE]

I agree with this. Even though I say I don't mind the scanners, it's mostly because I've never been through one. Truth be told, I'm very modest when it comes to my body, and I don't feel comfortable with some stranger (Male or female) seeing me like that.

I get that flying is a privilege,  and doing so entails giving up certain rights to privacy for the greater good ... but I should be allowed on a plane without some stranger (That's possibly a pervert) getting a very good idea of what I look like naked. Clearly, if the Netherlands have their "asexual blob scanner" there is a way to have this technology without putting on a "peep show" for whomever is monitoring the scanners.

If you fire a WP member, you're against America.

"Meg cracks me up on the regular. Now she gets to do it in two different forums. Yay!!" ~mkrupar
  • Options
    lalap69lalap69 member
    First Comment
    edited November 2010
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-party_wpbp-of-day-264?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:37Discussion:cc176d09-d8e9-4722-af42-7fa4f1df876bPost:d0b30c1e-a826-4940-b1c5-d268e06307fe">Re: WPBP of the day</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: WPBP of the day : You have an expectation of privacy in your car.  You own it, you control it and what is inside of it.  You don't own the plane, you don't control the plane or what is inside of it.  You also have a national security aspect here also.  Security is never going to be perfect but the government does not have the finances required to employ teams of FBI behavioral analysts in every airport in the country who could properly profile, complete checks like  in Israel is also impractical and arming aircraft personnel was considered after 9/11 and quickly dismissed - can you imagine training every flight attendant to essentially be an air marshall?
    Posted by tldh[/QUOTE]
    It used to be that you had a reasonable expectation not to be randomly stripsearched too.

As for the national security aspect, if I thought the searches would actually do anything to make flying safer, I'd feel differently.  And not that I'm advocating this AT ALL, but since you can opt out of the scan for an enhanced pat down, what's going to stop a terrorist from hiding things in their body cavities, opting into the pat down, being super-compliant during it so as not to arouse suspicions and getting onboard anyway?
  • Options

When at the airport, who takes longer in the security line? You or FI/DH? Gosh, that is a hard one. We probably take about the same amount of time.

In a short explanation, do you approve of the full body scanners/aggressive pat downs at the airports? Have you already had to do one? Hell no. And H and I refuse to fly again until they get this whole thing straightened out.

In your family, who is the hardest to buy a present for? probably my Grandma bc she never wants or needs anything. My Mom turns to me all the time and I never can think of anything.

Who here celebrates Hannukah? Nope
  • Options
    He's really good at picking out jewelry for me.

We're both pretty quick especially since I have to go through with my cat.  I prefer she stay in her carrier but I have to take her out through the security line and walk with her through the metal detector.

I'm fine with the scanners but I really don't like being touched by other people.

Definitely DH.  He pretty much buys whatever he wants when he wants it so by the time gift giving time rolls around there's nothing left to get.

Ignorance is a poor defense. Image and video hosting by TinyPic
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards