Texas-San Antonio

Do you recommend any hotels for receptions? Please help... :(

I really need help.  I have been engaged since October and am STILL trying to pinpoint a venue.  I am just now starting to look at hotels.  I think the downtown area would be neat because of the River Walk.  Has anyone had (or know someone who has had) a reception at a hotel downtown?  I need a venue big enough for 250 (HUGE familiies!).  If you have any other suggestions for reception venues downtown, I will gladly take those, too.

Thanks so much!

P.S.  I'm looking at mid-December of this year.

Re: Do you recommend any hotels for receptions? Please help... :(

• TTiger03TTiger03 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I found that most of the hotels on the river walk will have space to accommodate 200+ guests, but they tend to be large meeting rooms that would require more decoration than I wanted to do to get the feel I wanted.

My wedding is at Sunset Station.  There is easily enough room to accommodate the guest list and it's a really pretty venue.  It's not on the river walk but it is sort of on the edge of down town next to the Alamodome.  Out of town guests can always stay at hotels on the river walk.

One of my co-workers had her wedding at the Weston Riverwalk.  They can do a barge pick-up from there.  She had a very small wedding and invited most of the guests to go on the barge ride before the ceremony.

My sister was married at the Hotel Valencia.  We barely even knew we were downtown once we were inside.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • jennidolljennidoll member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I would've LOVED to have it at Sunset Station.  That place is beautiful (still my favorite place out of everywhere I looked), but the RK's pricing for food (I think 40-45 per person) plus alcohol just smashed our budget.  :-/  It would be easier if we were dealing with a smaller amount of people.

Thanks for the suggestions!  I will check out those hotels.
  • rammo01rammo01 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm having mine at The Menger Hotel in October.  I am only having 150 guest, but I think the ballroom will accomodate 250.  The price of the meals start around $22.00 (very reasonable) but the bar fee and alcohol is a little pricey.  Other than that I would recommend because it is downtown right by the Alamo and the coordinator (Sara) is very friendly.
  • edited December 2011
    We are doing a gargen terrace ceremony and a ball room reception at the Corte Real Ballroom at the Hilton Palacio Del Rio in downtown San Antonio.  Everything in one place with everything provided evening the Bride's cake. Very reasonable for our budget. We are not doing a bar (sorry guests, tea and water it is....haha).

Send me a private message and I'll give  you a cost breakdown once I have my contract signed.
    November 2011 Siggy Contest
    Photobucket Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • jennidolljennidoll member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks, Brande87.  That is a hotel I have been curious about.  I will send you a private message right now.  
  • MMH3123MMH3123 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The Holiday Inn Riverwalk has a Ballroom that can accommodate I think up to 400 ppl. They have a very nice atrium that over looks the city and a Ballroom with beautiful Chandlers. Good Luck !
  • edited December 2011
    Don't forget that the Historic Hotels have vey beautiful ballrooms that are standard meeting rooms. Try Sheraton Gunter, St. Anthony, La Mansion. Also, with hotels the tables, chairs, china, glassware, silverware, linens, dance floor, candle centerpieces etc all come with it. So it could help your budget. I thnk the Sheraton is running a special right now for $34.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards