Texas-San Antonio

Looking for affordable wedding/grooms cake places. Lucys? Nadlers?

I love Lucy's cakes and I was wondering if any of you had any tips or suggestions about Lucy's cakes for wedding cakes. We're just starting to look for cakes so any tips about booking tastings and who to avoid and who to check out would be greatly appreciated.

Also, my fiance is looking for a unique looking grooms cake. Can you suggest anything? I heard the Cake Shop on wurzbach had some interesting designs. Laughing

Re: Looking for affordable wedding/grooms cake places. Lucys? Nadlers?

• edited December 2011
    I'm getting our cakes from Nadler's ... they've been fabulous for as long as I can remember.  And were very competitive price-wise, too.
  • edited December 2011
    I've heard terrible reviews about both.  Supposedly when it comes to service both are horrid.  When it comes to cleanliness I heard The Cake Shop is not up to par and they use Dunken Heines mix.  As far as Nadler's I've ordered cakes there before and they are really good.  I just went to a wedding and they got the groom's cake from there, it was better than the bride's cake (purchased elsewhere).
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I'm curious about Lucy's too. We were thinking of looking into them. Wow, didn't know The Cake Shop used Duncan Hines mix. If that is true, their prices are just WAY too high for using a box mix. I'd be curious to know where everyone is getting their cakes from and how they stack up as far as price, taste, ect. TIA :)
  • edited December 2011

The price depends on the size. We always order from lucy's. They ladies are rude as hell but the cake is good. But I will admit, we ordered a cake for my cousin's quince and it was a bit pricey. We paid about $1,000 for her cake, for about 200 people. So it depends on your budget.

• edited December 2011
    I did a tasting at the Cake Shop and it was horrible! The lady acted like I was bother her and the cakes were old and hard! I wouldn't feed it to guest! I found my baker at the wedding fair.  Her strawberr champagne cake won me over. Creations Cakes out of Pleasenton.  She delivers all the way over here.  And I got a great deal!
  • edited December 2011
    We're using Creations Cakes too(in Pleasanton) and we're paying about $575 for roughly 170 servings (which was less than any of the other companies)... they're cakes were the best from all the ones I tried and I tried Nadlers, Exclusive Cake Shop, D'Pasteles, and Seventh Heaven.  Like luvlee said they will come all the way out here and for me they're vanilla with strawberry cake won me over; they use a combination of real strawberries alont with the gel.
  • MMH3123MMH3123 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I so agree with sjersey86. Creations Cakes are so good. And they are friendly as well.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards