Wedding Party
Options

plus sized bridesmaid

I'm not sure how to handle this situation.  I had my bridesmaids send me their measurements so that I can order the dresses at the same time.  One of my bridesmaids is a plus sized girl and the dress will be more expensive. She hasn't yet sent me the check for the dress yet.  Should I ask her to make up the difference for the cost of her plus sized dress?  I don't want to hurt her feelings. 

Re: plus sized bridesmaid

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-party_plus-sized-bridesmaid?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:37Discussion:f917c75b-2e4d-4578-8689-c6c4a2e68d17Post:ac0580ab-57c4-4c73-8c57-5f06dd069e01">plus sized bridesmaid</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm not sure how to handle this situation.  I had my bridesmaids send me their measurements so that I can order the dresses at the same time.  One of my bridesmaids is a plus sized girl and the dress will be more expensive. She hasn't yet sent me the check for the dress yet.  Should I ask her to make up the difference for the cost of her plus sized dress?  I don't want to hurt her feelings. 
    Posted by jenandbrenthowze[/QUOTE]

If you truly don't want to hurt her feelings, just quietly pay the difference and don't tell her about that part.
    The Bump ate my signature. DD - Apr 2011 DS - expected June 2013
  • Options
    I had two girls that had extra costs (one was a size 18 by the dress makers' standards and one needed extra length because she was 6'3".) so I paid the difference. I didn't think it was fair that because they were "themselves", they had to pay more. It's usually 20-40 difference depending on the company and no one even knew that their dress was more expensive.
    Sunbonnet or cone of shame? You be the judge! Trixie's Blog
    My Planning Bio
    My Married Bio updated March 4
  • Options
    Good advice.  She's a great friend and that's what I'll do.

Thanks
  • Options
    Cool  Good call.
    The Bump ate my signature. DD - Apr 2011 DS - expected June 2013
  • Options
    bbyckesbbyckes member
    First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited June 2010
    Why do you have to keep mentioning her "Plus-sized dress"?  Who cares what size the dress is, when the cost is the issue, right?

Are you covering the cost of everyone's dress and you just want her to cover the added expense?  If that's the case, she wears the size she wears and it isn't fair to have her cover the extra expense if no one in your party has to.

ETA:  Posted this before seeing your response.  Good call! :)
  • Options
    I read the post to mean that the girls were paying for their own dresses.  I think she meant that she didn't want to have to call the girl and tell her that her dress would be more money bc of the size.  

I agree that it may be an uncomfortable conversation for both parties so you may want to just pay the difference. 
    BFP#1 10/30/2011,MC 12/4/2011 9w2d,BFP#2 3/6/2012,m/c 4/18/2012 9w1d D&E 4/18/2012 BFP#3 8/12/2012 EDD 4/25/2013 Stick baby!! Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Sounds like things worked out.  Good job!
  • Options
    As a plus size/6'1" girl I will say this: we are aware that sometimes there is an extra cost related to our clothes. Some stores/websites charge extra for anything over 12/14. I doubt it would hurt their feelings or shock them to hear this, they probably already know

That being said: if you want to be nice, pick up the difference. It can't be that much more. Its usually about $10-20.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards