Wedding Party

No Bridesmaids?!

I don't have any real friends that I would even consider to be in my wedding party. I have two sisters that are new mothers. (in their 30s) We haven't spoken in a few weeks due to unresolved arguments. So, now I have no bridesmaids.
My fiances two sisters are also in there 30s, and mothers.

Is it okay to just not have bridesmaids? They devote a lot of there time to their children and husbands. So, I feel bad asking them to take time away from their busy lives to be my bridesmaid.

Also, they all have very diffrent body styles and I'm not sure I could find a style or color to compliment all of them. My fiance's having close to 10 groomsmen!

What do I do?

Re: No Bridesmaids?!

• While it is ok not to have any BM's, I think you are being a little unfair to outright assume that they won't have time....which leads me to my next question:  why would they need to be taking away any time from their families in the first place?  While it is nice if your BM's offer to help you, they are by no means required too.  Also, no one is made from a cookie cutter mold and there are plenty of dresses to compliments anyone's size.

More importantly, you need to work on resolving the issues with your sisters.  There is no greater love than that of family...well at least I think so anyways....and sisters are built in best friends, so try working on your issues together so you can all have a stronger relationship.  There are times that I have wanted to strangle my sister b/c of some comment she made or who knows what, but at the end of it all, I wouldn't trade her for anything in the world b/c she is my go-to-girl, my secret keeper and like I said...my best friend.

• 1st-It is fine not to have any BMs.

2nd-Assuming somebody wouldn't want to be a BM because they are mother is not really fair.  Being a BM means purchasing a dress and standing next to you on the wedding...something any mother can do.

3rd-you've been in an 'unresolved' argument for 2 weeks...I'm sure it will work itself out, maybe asking them to partake in this honor will be help resolve this.

4th-if you do have BMs save yourself the stress and let the girls chose their dress, they will know what fits their body style the best.

5th-Don't chose anybody just to chose somebody. 
    November 2011 Siggy Challenge: The First Kiss
    Fall Wedding Bio
  • Girlie1030Girlie1030 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited February 2012
    OP, why did you change your original post?  Stupid TK ate my post where I quoted you so if that shows back up, it's not going to look very good for you.

ETA - Was still able to get her original post. 
    I have a few unresolved issues with my two sisters, who are both new mothers (in there early 30s). I thought about asking them to be in my wedding party, but I thought two bridesmaids wouldn't be enough. Is it okay to not have bridesmaids? I once heard that bridesmaids are kind of like the frame for a pretty picture. I don't have any real friends that I would even consider asking to be in my wedding party. What do I do? Do I ask my fiances two sisters to be in my wedding? They are all so much older than me and I feel like it would look odd. Also, they all have very diffrent body types, so I'm not sure I could find a flattering style and color for the 4 of them. My fiances groomsmen group is so much larger than my bridesmaid group. Helpppppp!
    Posted by CallieLove

• I changed my post because my internet failed right after I hit "Post" and was unaware that it showed up.
    Honestly, I'm afraid to ask them. They are all very close to my heart and like a lot of you, they tend to attack me whenever I speak. I love my sisters and my sisters to be, the problem is.. we all live in seperate states. So they would have to take away time from there children and husbands (Two have newborns, ones pregnant and the others husband just got back from deployment). I didn't think it was fair for me to ask considering the circumstances.
    Also, I really want them to be dressed the same. I wasn't being rude in any way, every womans body is diffrent. I want them to be as comfortable and confident on that day and I feel like that will be difficult.

I'm also having an issue deciding who should be my maid of honor. I love all of them, so its extremely difficult to decide.
    And my fiance has not chosen his GM yet, we were just disscussing all the people he would like there. Which came out to about ten, but he agreed to not have as many so it didn't look so off.

Please don't answer this question if your just going to critize. I'm sure all of you know how stressful planning a wedding may be. And you shouldn't take your frustration out on others.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-party_no-bridesmaids-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:37Discussion:fcb74636-8e90-41fe-9f75-5835d7fa72acPost:4339f235-acbe-4b73-9deb-a821f29b39ef">Re: No Bridesmaids?!</a>:
    [QUOTE]I changed my post because my internet failed right after I hit "Post" and was unaware that it showed up. Honestly, I'm afraid to ask them. They are all very close to my heart and like a lot of you, they tend to attack me whenever I speak. I love my sisters and my sisters to be, the problem is.. we all live in seperate states. So they would have to take away time from there children and husbands (Two have newborns, ones pregnant and the others husband just got back from deployment). I didn't think it was fair for me to ask considering the circumstances. Also, I really want them to be dressed the same. I wasn't being rude in any way, every womans body is diffrent. I want them to be as comfortable and confident on that day and I feel like that will be difficult. I'm also having an issue deciding who should be my maid of honor. I love all of them, so its extremely difficult to decide. And my fiance has not chosen his GM yet, we were just disscussing all the people he would like there. Which came out to about ten, but he agreed to not have as many so it didn't look so off. <strong>Please don't answer this question if your just going to critize. I'm sure all of you know how stressful planning a wedding may be. And you shouldn't take your frustration out on others.</strong>
    Posted by CallieLove[/QUOTE]
    Posting on the interwebz may not be the gig for you.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards