Wedding Party

How to do different dresses

I would like to give my bridal party the option of getting different dresses if they want to. I will have 2 maids of honor, 2 bridesmaids, and 2 groomswomen. My side will wear purple and his side will wear gray. I am trying to be as easygoing as possible, but I would prefer it to either be all the same or all different. How should I go about this? 
I was going to pick designer, color, fabric, and length, and let them pick from there. But most designers don't have a ton to choose from with it narrowed down that much. Should I just say whoever orders first gets first choice and go from there? I just don't want someone to get stuck with something they don't like because everything they do like gets picked first.
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: How to do different dresses

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-party_how-to-do-different-dresses?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:37Discussion:fcd1da2e-d5f4-4bb0-a652-a4fec0cd625dPost:6aa2028a-ab2f-451e-a300-ac0575ed9bf5">How to do different dresses</a>:
    [QUOTE]I would like to give my bridal party the option of getting different dresses if they want to. I will have 2 maids of honor, 2 bridesmaids, and 2 groomswomen. My side will wear purple and his side will wear gray. I am trying to be as easygoing as possible, but I would prefer it to either be all the same or all different. How should I go about this?  I was going to pick designer, color, fabric, and length, and let them pick from there. But most designers don't have a ton to choose from with it narrowed down that much. Should I just say whoever orders first gets first choice and go from there? I just don't want someone to get stuck with something they don't like because everything they do like gets picked first.
    Posted by amalama[/QUOTE]
    I think it's fine if more than one pick the same dress.  If you really want them all different, maybe cut out one of the requirements; say let them choose whatever length or fabric they wish.  Or you could give them a color swatch and let them choose whatever designer they want.  (I told my girls to wear black, no issues with color variance there.)
    This is a neglected planning bio.
    This is a belated married bio, with no reviews yet because I'm lazy.

Sometimes I feel like people think that brides are delicate little flower princesses who get all dressed up and pretty for one special moment of their dreams, when really they're just normal people who just happen to be getting married. Things shouldn't have to be sugar-coated for grown-ass women. -mstar284
  • My BMs are all wearing different dresses. The only requirements I had were short, chiffon, and redish. I feel like color, fabric, and length is enough so that they can go to whatever store they want for it.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
    Feb13 Siggy Challenge
  • my only suggestion is David's Bridal. They are the only place that I know of that has a ton of dresses in a ton of colors.
  • I have 5 bridesmaids and all have a different dresses (That they picked and loved). I took them all to David's Bridal with me and told them they had to pick the color "Lapis" and they all had to be the same length. They each tried on tons of dresses until they found the ones they loved. I then had them all stand next to eachother in the dress they liked the most (to make sure they all looked good together.) I was not absolutely crazy about a couple of the dresses but as long as my girls are happy and they look good next to eachother thats all I cared about! Hope this helps.
  • I was lucky enough that my 4 BMs were available to shop together on the same day. I specified a color that turned out only to come in one fabric, and they took it from there. They actually ended up picking similar lengths because they were taking cues from each other, which was another stroke of luck (and a sign of easygoing people!). Their dresses have different necklines/embellishments and slightly different lengths, but it seemed to me that many designers create dresses that will look nice matched or not.

• I opted for David's Bridal too because of the options the offer and prices too. I told my girls I don't care what they got as long as it was full length & brown (truffle). They were so excited not to have to wear matching dresses, took a lot of stress off of them since they are all different body types. The ironic thing is, that they all ended up liking the same dress.
  • I have 5 bridesmaids. I told my girls use the designer Bill Levkoff, floor length, chiffon, and the color gray which he calls pewter. They are picking whatever they want. I'm hoping they all dont pick the same bc I do like the non matchy look! Oh well if they do! :)
  • Thanks everyone, I think maybe we will look at doing different fabrics (so just same color and length) and hope they all look okay together. I am probably making this more difficult than it needs to be, I just am worried about it all going well together with 2 different colors and different dresses so I want some unity. And there is pretty much no way for us all to go together so we won't really be able to see them all together until everyone decides.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Did different dresses with different fabrics in the same length/color except for the matron of honor and it looked fine.  David's Bridal's web site has a fun feature where you can put your wedding party together and it will show you how the different dresses will look together.
    Whoever said it was supposed to be happily ever after is a big fat liar.
  • Hi, I’d like to remind you that there will be a White Day giveaway on JenJenHouse.com Facebook. There will be a big discount on the dress and other surprise. We're glad if you could join us!

https://www.facebook.com/events/141111119389779/

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards