Wedding Party

Different BD Dresses?

I have 4 BM and 1 JR.  I was looking at doing Davids bridal and have a color I want to use but all my BM are having conflicting ideas about the type of fabric.  One hates organza, one loves it.  one hates satin, one loves it. so on and so on.

My question:  Thoughts on having all bridemaids pick their own dresses and make them same length and color but different fabrics.  Aweful?  Doable?  thoughts?
Anniversary

Re: Different BD Dresses?

• saric83saric83 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited January 2012
    What color are you going with?  Some colors do look a little weird and very different in different fabrics, but others can be totally fine.  I let my friends choose whatever dress (any fabric, length) in Malibu, and they all ended up choosing satin, but one had a different type of fabric on the bottom of her dress.  I thought it looked totally fine, but you can see a significant difference. 

• That's fine.  If you're not too sure then go into DB and pull several dresses of different fabrics but same color and length and line them up.  It will look good.
    Ignorance is a poor defense. Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I think It all depends on your wedding style and your relationship with them. If you are having a super traditional and very old school wedding and have a great relationship with all of them maybe you could sit them all down and find a way to match them all.
    On the other hand, if your going with a style that is a little more relaxed, then why not?
    I personally want my girls to wear something they like and will want to wear, because I was a bridesmaid and paid for a dress I am most likely not going to wear again. 
    PersonalMilestone Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I am doing different dress but it has to be the same fabric
  • It is YOUR wedding and they can wear what YOU DECIDE! If it's ok with you if they were different dresses then let it be. If not, then lay down the law.

I got lucky and my bridesmaids worked everything out. We got ours from David's Bridal; the ones with pockets they are so cute and my BM's love them.

If worst comes to worse make them all sit down and decide until they find one in the same.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I told the they could choose their dress..but I chose the color/fabric/length...it worked out that when we got to davids bridal...with their body types..the bridal party only has two diff dresses...it took 3hrs, but Im pleased..
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Anniversary
  • All my girls ended up liking the same dress (the DB one with the pockets, too! Style 83707, you should have them try it on, it's really cute and cheap), but I was fine if they wanted different dresses.  However, I wanted the same fabric regardless.  It's up to you, but if you want the same fabric, they'll still have plenty of choices at DB so you shouldn't be cramping their style much.

127image 88image 39imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-party_different-bd-dresses?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:37Discussion:ffcbffd9-fc5a-46b0-8b57-21fec9c9c22cPost:2b297a94-dd19-4f60-b9fc-5aa608bf97f4">Re: Different BD Dresses?</a>:
    [QUOTE]All my girls ended up liking the same dress (the DB one with the pockets, too! Style 83707, you should have them try it on, it's really cute and cheap), but I was fine if they wanted different dresses.  However, I wanted the same fabric regardless.  It's up to you, but if you want the same fabric, they'll still have plenty of choices at DB so you shouldn't be cramping their style much.
    Posted by katehar01[/QUOTE]

I love that dress! One of my bridesmaids picked it, and I ended up getting it in champagne for my rehearsal dinner.
    Anniversary
  • I think that as long as the colour and the overall style are the same, and, most importantly, as long as every bridesmaid feels confortable in her dress, everything is fine! My four bridesmaids have very different body shapes, so it would had been impossible for me to ask them to have the very same dress. They'll all have to choose a red dress that fits our retro style, but I know my 5f 10inches, 125lbs bridesmaid won't pick a dress that has the same cut as my 5f 4inches, 150lbs friend. I want everybody to feel confortable and happy with their choice, but, of course, I would not one bridesmaid too stand out completly from the others.
  • Google "mismatched bridesmaid dresses" in google images.

This should help your decision.
    Photobucket
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    Just because you saw it on Four Weddings, doesn't mean it's a good idea.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards