Interfaith Weddings

Greek Orthodox/Roman Catholic Wedding Questions

Hello all!
I am Roman Catholic and my fiance is Greek orthodox. We are getting married in the Greek Orthodox church. A family friend who is a Catholic Priest is going to be there to bless the marriage in the RC church. Has anyone done this before (or just knows about it) and could offer some insight for me? I.e. When in the ceremony would my priest do that? Can we still do the wedding vows? Thanks for your help in advance!!

Re: Greek Orthodox/Roman Catholic Wedding Questions

• Hey there I am GO and can give some insight. Usually in the GO wedding ceremony, the husband and wife do not perform vows. You can speak to the priest who will marry u to see if he is flexible. Will the RC priest perform the blessing in the Greek church also or will you have a second ceremony in the Catholic church? The reason I'm asking is BC if u have the blessing in the RC church then you can probably say your vows then. If not, you can always talk to both priest and see if you can all find a compromise. Good luck!
  • Hello,

I am a Luthern marrying a Greek and we are having a Greek Orthodox wedding.  We spoke with the priest about having vows and were told that in a GO wedding the vows are already known going into the ceremony.  The GO ceremony is pretty much blessing the vows and that is why we can't do them.   We decided to have our own little vow ceremony with just the two of us before the wedding because the vows mean so much to me.  I hope this helps!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards