Interfaith Weddings

Catholic Grandmother

Should I be worried that my Grandmother will be expecting a traditional Catholic ceremony? She's the most Catholic woman I've ever met, while I haven't identified as Catholic since high school. We're going to have a Christian ceremony, however it will be in no sense Catholic. Should I mention it? Should I ask my Dad (her son) to mention it?

Re: Catholic Grandmother

• Riss91Riss91 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    It's likely she'll know you aren't having a Catholic ceremony once she receives your invitation and notices the ceremony will not be taking place in a Catholic Church.

I don't think you owe anyone an explanation as to why you've chosen to have the ceremony you've chosen, so it really depends on how comfortable you are with her finding out from another source besides you.

As a Catholic, I can understand her wanting you to have a Catholic ceremony, because I would want you to be able to receive sacraments in the Church going forward, like communion. However, if you told me that you've given much thought to it and you feel you do not believe in the Catholic faith, then I wouldn't want you to have a Catholic ceremony, as that would be dishonest.

If your father feels comfortable expressing your feelings on religion to your grandmother, then that might be a better route. At least this way, she will know you have put thought into it. I hope it all works out!
  • edited December 2011
    If you're worried, it might be a good idea to give your grandmother a head's up. Have your Dad drop it into conversation or, if appropriate, he can have a direct conversation with her about it. It's considerate of you to "warn" her ahead of time if you suspect this will be an issue for her.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards