Interfaith Weddings
Options

Catholic/Muslim Help!

My fiancé is catholic/Hispanic and I'm Hispanic/Muslim and we need help on how to plan the ceremony

Re: Catholic/Muslim Help!

• Options
    lmj76lmj76 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Wish I had an answer for you.  I'm in a similar boat.  I'm christian and my fiance is muslim.  His Imam says a joint ceremony is against Muslim law.  We want to have a separate Muslim ceremony the night before and supposedly this too is against Muslim law.  Another Imam has told us something different and of course he wants to follow what his Imam has said.  This is a HUGE issue for us right now.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    hi ladies. well i am a hispanic muslim convert and my FI is muslim. however, my family is catholic. what we're doing is having a civil ceremony the day of the wedding so my family gets to experience that part, but we are having the Muslim ceremony at the henna. this seemed to make everyone happy...
    don't listen to one imam. there are some that don't necessarily follow Muslim law but just do what they **think** is right. get opinions from different Imams, I'm sure there are open minded ones that would love to do it.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    To remain Catholic, Roman Catholics must be married in a Roman Catholic Church. They do not need to marry a fellow Roman Catholic. There are exceptions, but they must be worked out with Church officials well in advance.

You need to talk to you iman. Your fiance needs to talk to his priest. The Catholic Board will have more help.
  • Options
    I am looking for a religious nikah officiant. Most likely an Imam. I am having a hard time finding one that will do an interfaith nikah without conversion. If anyone knows when please help. I am in Dallas. Thanks.
  • Options
    My fiance is also muslim and I am christian but he says we will have a christian ceremony and that's it, he doesnt mind. I keep askin if he is ok with this and he says yes. I am so relieved that I dont have these issues, but I still want to be aware of these things just in case an issue arises.

• Options
    Hi guys! I'm in the same boat...I'm Catholic and my fiancé is Muslim, but we've figured it all out with the approval of both of our parents :) My fiancé isn't a practicing Muslim, he actually prays with us in the Catholic church. His parents are Muslims. We've talked to the church and consulted a priest on guidance. The Imam wasn't too happy and accepting with our interfaith so we've decided to honor our Catholic faith and go full force with raising our children Catholic.  We're allowed to marry in the church as a valid marriage. On the same day, we're doing a nikah after the church in a separate ceremony space with an Imam. We have one we still need to meet to agree to doing the nikah recommended by his mom, but if denied, we'll be asking our friend to read the Quran and blessings. It won't be valid in the Islam religion, but at least we are valid in the Catholic church and that's what's most important to the both of us. Was it a battle between his parents and us for a while? Yes, but they've overcome it and are extremely happy now, which is surprisingly awesome. As the Bride and as the future wife, there are some convictions and beliefs you have to stand very strong behind and put your foot down on some decisions and soon the rest will follow. 
  • Options
    amberwed said:
    I am looking for a religious nikah officiant. Most likely an Imam. I am having a hard time finding one that will do an interfaith nikah without conversion. If anyone knows when please help. I am in Dallas. Thanks.
    Hey did you ever have any luck with this? I'm in the same boat right now and have been having such a hard time because I am Muslim but my fiance isn't and he is completely fine with getting married by an Imam since that will make me comfortable but he is not comfortable with having to convert since he isn't a religious person. I'd really appreciate it if someone could help in some way such as letting me know of any possible liberal Imams. Thanks!
  • Options
    I mentioned this in another post:

I was raised Lutheran, and my fiancé is Indian/Muslim. We're doing two ceremonies, one Indian/Muslim and one American/Christian. Our wedding will be three days long (typically Indian weddings can be around five days long, so it's a bit of a compromise), but we're fitting in both ceremonies and a more traditional American reception all in on the same day.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    My fiance is Muslim and I am raised christian. His family are not super religious but it is tradition for their family to do a Nikah. We are doing the Nikah right before the traditional civil ceremony, I will be wearing a green dress during the Nikah, after I will change to my white dress and do the traditional civil ceremony. Then, we will have a procession to the reception where we will do the henna ceremony. Then dinner and party! 

I am not converting and his mother is very happy that I have my own values and believes but I am also very respectable to theirs. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards