Chinese Weddings

Qi Pao/Cheongsam - experiences?

Hello!I tried to search this topic out, as I'm sure it's been discussed but I only found very few threads, so sorry in advance if this is a repeat.Anyway, I'm looking at ordering a Qi Pao very soon.  My top choice right now is to order it online from efushop.com - it'll be custom-made with the measurements I send them, with the fabric I choose from their site, and fully lined.  It will cost $121 with shipping, and my seamstress said she will make alterations for around $60-70.  So all in all it should total under $200 - less if I need little or no alterations!I did visit 2 local shops in NYC - Peony Red was quoting at least $200, Lai's Tailoring was $280-$350 depending on the fabric.  So buying online still seems to be slightly cheaper, considering the sales tax in NY too.I don't know....I'm wondering what other people's experiences have been??  I'm still open to possibly renting one also, but I have no idea how much rentals usually go for.  It would have to be significantly cheaper because the idea of wearing something that tight fitting that was worn by how many other women does freak me out a little.  Plus, can you tailor it if it's just a rental??  Just wondering what other people's experiences have been....online, renting, and/or local shops.  TIA!!!

Re: Qi Pao/Cheongsam - experiences?

• edited December 2011
    I spent $40 on mine. i have big arms so my goal is to have them toned down. but i bought it off the rack in Chinatown in philly. they had a ton of sizes and designes.
  • krivitskrivits member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hi ladies,I'm getting married next year and want to get a qipao done also. I've been reading some threads to figure out the best way to do and this has been especially helpful! I had a few questions I was hoping you all could help with.1. Is there a way to message someone directly without having to post through the board (knot newbie here-this is my first post!)?2. I saw tohruchan had her mom measure her but I don't think my mom has any idea how to properly measure for clothing. Is it complex or is it better done by a seamstress?3. For those who bought there qipao's in Philly, which shops did you go to?4. Those who ordered on efushop, how long was the turnaround to get your dresses and alterations?Thank you so much!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards