Chinese Weddings

Chinese Emcee..T.O.

It seems that the trend these days for chinese weddings is to hire a professional emcee (master of ceremony)..who can speak chinese and english.  Do you think it's good idea to do?  My parents have insisted it many times but my fiance is japanese and I am chinese...so I don't want to cater to one side versus the other.  Does anyone know of a professional emcee in Toronto that can speak japanese & chinese?

Re: Chinese Emcee..T.O.

• ring_popring_pop member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    If you do everything in THREE languages - English, Chinese and Japanese - it will make everything take 3x as long. I'd say that unless you have a large number of guests who CAN'T understand English, to keep it to English only.
    Baby Birthday Ticker
    Baby #2: Surprise BFP 9.19.12, EDD 5.24.13, natural m/c 10.19.13 at 9w
  • Leese123Leese123 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks Ring POP!  I never thought about how much longer it would make the reception...I was also worried that it will become a united nation picnic with all those languages.  That makes a lot of sense now that you put it that way...tx!
  • seevictoriaseevictoria member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    It's all depends on how well the MC and DJ will handle it. Some expereinced MCs can blend two or three langauges effectively together in the presentation without any problem.English alone is okay but some of the most important people, especially the parents and the senior family members, may be less enjoying the program simply because they don't understand perfectly what is going on. My suggestion to you is...try the best to hire a company that can handle your multilanguage need. If those production houses don't have the trilingual person, ask the to give you 2 MCs , i.e. one speaks chinese/english and another one speaks japanese/english.  You will need to pay extra for that tho. In the worst case, ask if the production house can work with one of your friends who speaks Japanese in the reception. Of course, you will need to ask your FI's Japanese friends to help. And the production house may also charge extra for rehersal and practice.  Hope my 2 cents will help and it's not too late. Good luck!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards