Chinese Weddings

Wedding Reception/Baby Shower?!?!?

YIKES!So I just found out... YESTERDAY that I am 5 weeks along!We got married on February 2009 and are planning our reception for June 2010 because of school (I graduate May 2010).  Now... the baby's due date is May 2010... What should I do?  Forgo the wedding reception? because babies cost a lot! Have a wedding reception with the baby present? yikes!!

Re: Wedding Reception/Baby Shower?!?!?

• LanaJadeLanaJade member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    First, congrats!!Second, this is an it depends question. How traditional are you/the families? It's a lot to handle during May/June, would you have help? I think we need more info to help you out. If you were to have the reception, you should of course have the baby there! Your baby will have the spotlight though, but that's good. I'm sure all your attention will be on your bundle of joy too :)
  • ehchan0213ehchan0213 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The families are relatively traditional.  LOL. that seems a bit general huh? well... my mom and dad would be a-ok with whatever we decide... but my in-laws are a bit more traditional.  For instance, my mother-in-law is obsessed with the tea ceremony (my dh doesn't want to do this)... she keeps calling us stupid because she says that that is the only way we are ACTUALLY married... and that it is the only time when their side of the family with give us any money.  To be quite honest, we aren't doing the reception to get any money.  We just want to celebrate with people we love and share the happiness.  I have a feeling that whatever money we do get will just help cover some of the cost of the reception... ya know?With regards to how much help... hmm... i would definitely have help... three best friends and then some people from church too probably... yikes... its just so much to stress over!I was thinking of postponing the wedding reception until 2011.  Maybe I can do it on February 13, 2011... our two year anniversary? Then my baby will be a year and a half and will be able to run around and have more fun?  maybe just do a baby party in 2010? i really just don't know.  Sorry if I seem to be going on and on... I am just really freaked out and somewhat hysterical.  yikes.
  • Leese123Leese123 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Congratulations!  I think planning for a baby and a wedding will be too overwhelming to do (on top of finishing school!).  I might be crazy but I always thought having your own child be part of your wedding party (flower girl/flower boy) the most precious thing and it makes the wedding even more special.  I say wait, since you are already legally married…that’s what’s most important in North America…you have more time to plan, lose weight, and enjoy being a mother!   To please your MIL you can have a private tea ceremony with just family without the reception to make it official in her eyes….I feel tea ceremony is a private matter with families anyways.  Do the reception dinner in 2011.
  • ehchan0213ehchan0213 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks! I think that is what I am going to do.  I am going to wait until 2011 or 2012 and do it then... I think I might be too stressed out for the next 2 years to plan anything else.I like the idea of having my baby be the flower girl or the ring bearer! how adorkable!! :)
  • edited December 2011
    Congrats!I love the idea, too!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards