Chinese Weddings
Options

XP - "East meets West"

I'm sorry, but I've seen a lot of tacky "East meets West" themes.

I am caucasian, my FI is chinese.  We want to incorporate some chinese culture into our reception, but I want it to be done tastefully.

We are having the traditional chinese banquet at a really good chinese restaurant, and I will be changing into a qipao (at FI's request) during the reception.

I'm thinking my theme is going to be more "opposites attract" for the reception, because like I said "East meets West" just seems too clique (sp?).  I also plan on incorporating some other "opposites" - I.E. we will have traditional cake (my choice) AND cupcakes (FI's choice) - and I've got a way to work them in together.

So - who's got good ideas on how to incorporate Chinese traditions without "trying too much"???  I know you guys are smart!
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: XP - "East meets West"

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Chinese liqueur is traditionally at each table for celebrations. Maybe you can label them with the table numbers in English and Chinese? Buddist statues at the guestbook/place card table. Cute little lanterns can be used for an outdoor wedding, attached to branches for centerpieces or strung around a tent. a Qi Pao for part of the event and a wedding dress for the other half. Serving Tea as a drink option for the event.
    I am having trouble making this work too. I thought parsols are very taditional, and then I was told that fans and umbrellas are not to be coordinated with weddings because their pronunciation is the same as their word for separate. But then they said I should do whatever I want, and they wont contribute to any ideas to add Chinese accents to the event. Besides that I should know Mandarin before we are married... not going to happen, they should give up on that. haha.
    imageimage
  • Options
    rbtrumpetrbtrumpet member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    haha - I know a little mandarin - but not enough to communicate.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    clearheavensclearheavens member
    First Anniversary Name Dropper 5 Love Its Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    I'm sorry I can't help you but I just wanted to add that I'm also struggling for the same thing.  Not too Asian, and if done with something Asian, not too "FOB."
    Follow Me on Pinterest

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011

We are having traditional western ceremony and reception but will have chinese lion dancers at reception, little double happiness favor bags with chocolate and/ or fortune cookies (we haven't decided yet).  My color is purple but there will be touches of red: a few deep red roses in my bouquet and centerpieces and on the cake.  Both fathers will have red boutineers.  Fi is ABC so we are having rehersal dinner at chinese restaurant.  I also had an earlier post with questions about roasted pig but it turns out it is a gift from groom to give to bride's family.  FI is excited about the lion dancers and they were suprisingly budget friendly- I was prepared to pay alot more but ended up with dancers, and a narration for 150+ non chinese guests for only $395.00 plus tip for a 20 minute performance.  We also talked about having chinese desserts in addition to cake.  We haven't decided yet.  Just do what makes you and your FI happy.

• Options
    edited December 2011

The cake and cupcake is overkill. I would go for either a cake or do the cupcakes, but not both. I don't know what your Asian attendance is, but most will not even stay for dessert.

Based on my experience, we have seen the cake go to waste each and every time. By the time the last course comes in, most guests have packed the food and are leaving. About 5% even touch the cake.

My FI and I have eliminated the cake all together. Dessert (red beans) is already included in the 10 course meal, so we are not adding on.

As for the ALCOHOL, don't have an open bar unless you want a HUGE bill at the end of the night.

What's normally done is A BOTTLE of hard liquor, a bottle of sparkling water, bottle of coke and bottle of 7UP/Sprite per table. 

Your banquet, depending on how much a table is, can range from 580 - 800  (don't forget 18% gratuit) Add your bottle of hard liquor, $40-60/ per bottle....

Don't know what your budget is like, but our wedding is going to cost $50k.

• Options
    jennlinjennlin member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    i did my wedding as mostly traditional western wedding..with chinese touches. i.e. we used chinese table numbers, personalized fortune cookies, chopstick favors, and a dragon/phoenix cake. everything else about it looked like a regular american wedding though, including food...
    ♥ bfp2 02/15/2012 ♥ edd 10/23/2013 ♥
    ♥ bfp1 06/14/2011 ♥ edd 02/22/2012 ♥
    ♥ baby jennlin born on 02/15/2012 ♥

who says you can only wear your wedding dress once?

honeymoon biomarried bioplanning bio
    jumped ship to the new and improved nest. back to TB for baby boards.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards