Chinese Weddings

Etiquette on Addressing Envelopes

I'm sure different people do it different ways, but I wanted to see which was the most common.  I was thinking of doing:

Mr. & Mrs. John and Jane Smith
123 Street St.
Anytown, CA 12345

Is this okay?  One of my friends said it should be "Mr. and Mrs. John Smith" regardless of who you know, and another said just to put the name of the main person you know being invited (say, you know your good friend but want to invite her husband as well) and if it's the girl, just put "Mrs. Jane Smith" and put both of their names in the inner envelope.

I'm sure that was confusing...sorry!  lol

What did you do?

Re: Etiquette on Addressing Envelopes

• ring_popring_pop member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I used Mr. and Mrs. John and Jane Smith.

Some people prefer Mr. John and Mrs. Jane Smith. Some people use Mrs. Jane and Mr. John Smith - the reasoning being that John should not be separated from Smith. But I find this awkward.

Mr. and Mrs. John Smith is traditional and proper, but many find it to be archaic and sexist. Older guests may prefer that, though.

Definitely address both the outer and inner envelopes to the couple (not just Mrs. Jane Smith).

For families, I did:
    Mr. and Mrs. John and Jane Smith
    Tommy, Suzy, and Bobby Smith

... but I didn't use inner envelopes, so I think it *might* be OK to leave the kids off the outer envelope as long as you include them on the inner. Not sure about that.
    Baby Birthday Ticker
    Baby #2: Surprise BFP 9.19.12, EDD 5.24.13, natural m/c 10.19.13 at 9w
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks Ring_pop!  :)

If a couple was married but the wife has kept her last name, did you:

Mr. John Smith and Mrs. Jane Doe
    or
    Mr. John Smith and Ms. Jane Doe
    or
    Mr. and Mrs. John Smith and Jane Doe?

A lot of my family members have different last names because the wife kept hers.  Thanks so much!

First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I used Mr. John Smith and Ms. Jane Doe. The 'and' technically denotes that they are married (although I cheated and used this wording even for unmarried couples).

Good luck!
    Baby Birthday Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I like the way you think!  :)  Thanks for the good wishes -- I need them!  I'm behind... :-\
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    omg your wedding is coming up soon!! Excited for you! Laughing
    Baby Birthday Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Haha, thanks!  I'm more stressed than ever at this point though. ><  I think I'll be more excited once I get these suckers out the door!

Thanks especially to you by the way for the invite inspiration!  You probably have a million hits on your bio and at least half are from me!  I used your invite idea as a template for my invites and I'm so excited to see how they turn out once I put them together!  :D
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards