Chinese Weddings
Options

Jade Wedding Bands?

My FI mentioned that he had tried to get me a jade engagement ring because it is lucky and representative of happiness, long marriages, and other good things. I have been trying to find some type of simple jade wedding band but am having trouble finding anything that is made of actual jade and within our price range.

Does anyone else think this might be worth pursuing or should we just do normal bands? Also, does anyone have an idea of a reputable seller I might be able to get more information from?

-Amyann

Re: Jade Wedding Bands?

• Options
    will47will47 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Jade is definitely a tricky area - even if you read up about it, or do a lot of research, it takes time and experience to judge it well. If you're spending a lot, I think it would make some sense to make the sale contingent upon an appraisal by a third party expert (at your expense, presumably), to make sure that the jade is natural and the stated grade. I would also recommend buying from somewhere you can see (and try on) the ring in person, which might be hard in Phoenix. Even here in LA, where there is a pretty large Chinese and Vietnamese community, finding good jade of any kind can be dicey (though I would guess that if you go with bigger name shops like Chong Hing, you are likely to get what you are told you are getting, albeit at a high price).

If it helps, what I've heard is that truly jade bands can be fragile, and many of the ones I've seen are gold or platinum inlaid with jade. Also, I'd imagine that it's difficult or impossible to resize a natural jade ring.

I do like the symbolism of jade, but ended up settling on a simple platinum band, partly because it was more simple and low-key, but also because of some of the considerations above.
    my read shelf:
    William's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I had a jade bracelet and it broke.  It hurt too!!  I think it would be too fragile.  That's not something you would want to replace.  I like the idea though.  I think it would be pretty.
  • Options
    kit710kit710 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    You should do a  jade mounting on a 18K gold or white gold ring not natural jade ring. Just like a ruby or sapphire ring.  Jade  are no difference then any colour stone,  You have to know the piece of  jade is their nature colour or be treated with heart or any other reform.

• Options
    I agree with Kit 710, the thing with proper 'entirely jade' jade rings is when you're pregnant or lose weight or god forbid gain weight you cant ever alter the size of the ring, it is a carved ring of jade you cannot expand not shrink it

so if you do go for the jade which i admire,i'm chinese i am not doing lol i hate green you get pink jade too and  a caramel colour but green jade is the best.

do get it on a gold band or something so you can alter it eventually if need to
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards