Chinese Weddings

I need help finding the 2011 Chinese calendar (and other issues with choosing my date)!

I am currently enagaged and planning my wedding. But, I can't set a date yet because my future mother in law needs to choose the right day on the Chinese calendar. She doesn't have the 2011 calendar (probably because it hasn't been printed yet) but I was wondering if there was anywhere I could buy the calendar? If it's not printed anywhere yet, what month would it usually come out? I can't possibly have to wait until around October do I? I am planning to have it in March. How can I set things with the reception hall and catering and cake if I can't even choose a date? I mean, I'm all for getting the right day, but I feel so disconnected from choosing my own date for the wedding. Has anyone else gone through this? Help!

Re: I need help finding the 2011 Chinese calendar (and other issues with choosing my date)!

• heleng5heleng5 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    my mom said it doesn't come out until the end of 2010

I selected my date using this (it's in Chinese)
    http://mindcity.sina.com.hk/MC-lunar/index.cgi

not sure how accurate it is, but my family is okay with it, we are quite Americanized, good luck
  • calli0pe00calli0pe00 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thank you so much!!! I'm going to get someone to help me read it before I ask her to take a look. :D This is such a great help!!
  • LanaJadeLanaJade member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I had the same exact issue and used the link provided above. However, for me the info turned out not to be accurate and 6 months before the wedding (when the calendar came out), we had to change the wedding date. For another knottie I know who used the link, her date was accurate. Just giving you the heads up!
  • calli0pe00calli0pe00 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Oh boy! Thanks, I will definitley be rechecking the date 6 months before!
  • opheliaxopheliax member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We had the same problem.  We calculated the dates using the instructions in this websites (I would recommend doing it in Excel, to make it easier):

http://phoenixqi.blogspot.com/2007/12/tong-shu-auspicious-date-selection-in.html
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks for posting this, I was wondering where to go about finding an auspicious date for the wedding as well seeing that the calendars won't be out for awhile.  This has been great information.  Now I will just need to show the family.
  • dodoniedodonie member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Oh my god I have the same problem ...I am engaged it's been 6 months and we are planning to get married in 2011 but needed to book the reception hall .......we are both chinese and are impatient for the chinese calendar ........... what can we do....is the site really reliable ...or its better to wait for the real calendar ????? thanks
  • edited December 2011
    Argh!  I feel everyone's pain.  I'm not even having a traditional Chinese wedding, but my parents are insisting I carefully choose a date.

Here's my problem - my timeline is very tough because my all-time must-have venue is a museum and there's certain windows when they are transitioning exhibits and its not ideal for my reception.  Sooooo.....here's a semi-related question.

What if FI & I get actually paper married at city hall on an auspicious date and have our reception on a date that works for us?  Does that count????

-Jenny
  • jaimechuajaimechua member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

This is exactly my problem. All my good dates are FULLY BOOKED. And Im grabbing whatever avail. And the report on the links u gals mentioned r driving me nuts..to believe or not to believe. Im also not having a traditional wedding..juz soleminsation & dinner reception..and tea ceremony...so wonder if its impt to keep to the good date. And if no good..wat will happen. My mum as much as she dont mind, said, just in case something bad happens...oh well..its making me unease...but I dun have a solution. Anyone know when the almanac be out? or a more accurate link to check dates..

• susanchen85susanchen85 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    @jfong - This totally counts. This is actually what my mom was trying to get me to do. Once I found out that I had to wait 9 months for the 2010 calendar to come out, I told my mom that I was just going to choose a date based on availability, auspiciousness be damned. After the calendar came out, she tried to get me to get my marriage license (and thus be legally married) before a certain date because it was luckier to be married before the new year. Sigh...families.
  • kimliankimlian member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Indeed, my is the same issue. I initally got a date (oct 23 ) from this website
    http://www.singaporegrooms.com/auspicious-wedding-dates-2011/

My mum was pacified but when then she went to ask another fengshui guy, he say the date is generally good but clashes with my father. Arrggg...now she is demanding that i change the date.

• edited December 2011
    I dont get this can anyone tell me wat dates are good for 2011 please ...I am looking in between May 2011 thru Sept 2011  ThaLaughingnk u
  • HoLee520HoLee520 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    This is the biggest clash between Chinese American couples and their traditional parents. I am also feeling the frustration when my future mother in law looks at a Feng Shui book and told me none of the dates in 2011 is good except for one date in Oct.....and I wanted a Spring wedding.

Therefore, at this point, I am rationalizing that even on good dates ppl still get divorce or a blizzard still happens so I rather be happy and have a good weather date than believe in it. With that said, we might have the prayers and tea ceremonies on another date before the actual banquet to try to apease the future mother in law.
  • tifiretifire member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    What about this site:
    http://www.char4u.com/chinese-lunar-calendar.php

It has complete Chinese calendar from 1901 to 2049.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards