Jewish Weddings
Options

mezinke question

I think I may have asked this a LONG LONG time ago (over a year?). Is this done for parents of an ONLY child. My mom planned on it but everything I read says "last". I am technically first and last. Thoughts? what exactly goes on during this? is it going to be super strange for our nonjewish guests? Does anyone have a good description of this for a program that they used?

Re: mezinke question

• Options
    Danaz1Danaz1 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    we are doing the krenzel dance I think that is the same thing. We are doing it for my fiances parents and he is an only child. I am one of 3 and my sister is not married so we are only doing it for his parents. Basically they but a flower crown on their heads and they sit in chairs. People come up and congratulate them and do some jewish dancing. I don't think it is any weirder for nonjews then the horah. Most people love all of the ethinic touches at a wedding. We are not putting it in the program. The band leader said he would explain it.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    Danaz1Danaz1 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Here is an explanation from the knot Mezinke Tanz OR Krenzel The Mezinke Tanz is one of the concluding dances of the night and honors parents who have married off their last child. The dance is also known as Krenzel (Yiddish for "crown") in reference to the crown of flowers often placed in the mother's hair during the dance. The proud parents are seated on chairs in the middle of the dance floor while friends and family dance around, kissing them as they pass in front.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    My FMIL mentioned this tradition, which I had not heard of. She asked if my mother wanted this done for her, and my mother thought she was making it up (and consequently making fun of her - my mother is a bit touchy). Thanks for explaining what it is.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards