Jewish Weddings

Ceremony Music

Hi Ladies,  I just found this board and am very excited about it.  My fiance and I are planning a fairly traditional jewish ceremony and I was hoping for some recommendations for ceremony music.  We just met with our rabbi in New Orleans this past weekend and he said any music is fine but seemed against the traditional non-jewish here comes the bride (which I don't like at all anyway)  Can anyone suggest some songs?Also, any New Orleans jewish brides on here?  We are planning from DC but getting married in New Orleans which is where we met.

Re: Ceremony Music

• masteralephmasteraleph member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Are you looking for traditional Jewish chuppah music or just ideas for music? Dodi Li, Erev Ba, and Erev shel shoshanim are all fairly standard. For a traditional wedding, you'll probably also be using Mi Adir and Mi Ban Siach
  • 2dBride2dBride member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hi!  Another DC bride here, but we're getting married in MA."Here Comes the Bride" is typically not played at Jewish weddings, because the composer (Wagner) was a notorious anti-Semite and the official composer of the Third Reich.  Some rabbis also prefer you not play Mendelssohn ("Wedding March"), because he was originally Jewish and a convert to Christianity.However, if you want classical music (as opposed to traditional Jewish wedding music), there are still a lot of choices.  You may want to check out our [url=http://sites.google.com/site/2dbride/ceremony/music]ceremony music page[/url], which has videos of all of the pieces we are using.  They are all classical, but omit Wagner and Mendelssohn.
  • edited December 2011
    I adore Erev shel shoshanim!  I plan to walk into that, and everyone else to Yerishalyim shel Zahav and similar music.  Our recessional, however, may have something a tad more comtemporary
  • edited December 2011
    Hi there, My DH and his groomsmen walked in to Pachelbel Canon in D; my bridesmaids walked in to Bach's Air on the G String, and I walked into to Erev Shel Shoshanim (the instrumental version), as they dimmed the lights.  With my parents holding candles, it was gorgeous!  Our recessional was Simen Tov, Mazel Tov, of course.We chose to do Erev Shel Shoshanim for the circling, but Dodi Li is done frequently, too.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards