Jewish Weddings

Advice please!

So I just received a shower invite for this girl who is the the fiancee for one of my FI's friends. I barely know this girl, so frankly I'm not that interested in going. But do you still think that I need to send a gift? Do I have to invite her to my shower? Also, do you invite someone to your wedding if they invited you?

Re: Advice please!

• edited December 2011
    IMO - no, no, and no.If you're having a wedding where you're inviting the whole community, I don't see why it wouldn't hurt to invite a couple more... but if you're trying to keep the numbers down and/or don't really know them then I don't think you need to. What's the relationship to the people in the wedding you were invited to?
  • edited December 2011
    I'm the type of person to always send a gift, even if I don't know the person that well so I'd send a gift but something small. As for your shower, nope no need to invite her and as for the wedding question, it depends on your relationship with them. If you are not vey close to them but they invite you and your fi then I'd probably not invite them but its totally your call. hth!
  • edited December 2011
    No, you do not have to invite someone just because you get an invite.  This would apply to most cases.  Just because some folks sent out invitations to everyone, you shouldn't feel compelled to return the favor.  Now, whether you have to get her a gift is another story.  If she's the fiancee of a good friend of your FI and you'll be seeing them often in the future, then you should get her something.  With that in mind, I'd keep it very small and inexpensive, since you don't know her well and aren't really "friends."  However, if her FI and your FI are just casual friends, then I'd just send a nice card and wish her luck (heck, I might do that anyway). Don't feel any pressure to do something if don't feel right about it.  GL.
  • edited December 2011
    I agree w/ pp about whether you need to invite this girl to your wedding, but I thought I'd give my two cents about whether you need to send her a gift.  IMHO, you don't.  From what I've heard, the only time you are supposed to send a gift to a bridal shower that you're not attending is when you are a member of the bridal party.  So, in this case, I really don't think it's necessary.  HTH
  • bonniebrettbonniebrett member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    i like to send gifts to anything i'm invited to, whether i go or not. if i don't know them well, or aren't sure why they even invited me, then i'll give a small gift. i wouldn't feel obligated to invite anyone to your shower or wedding.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards