Jewish Weddings

Russian-style Kosher Catering in NYC???

So I got a call today from the caterer that we were hoping to use for the wedding. He told me that even after we agreed a price and discussed the menu and scheduled a tasting he and his partner decided that it would be "uneconomical" to cater our wedding. Ugh!Does anyone know of any glatt kosher Russian-style caterer in NYC or the tri-state area? We have the date and the hall booked - we just need someone to cater. Help!

Re: Russian-style Kosher Catering in NYC???

• edited December 2011
    Royal Caterers, its based out of Queens.  Dmitry is the person that will meet with you to go over the food, budget, etc.  We didn't go with him, because I didn't want a Russian-style affair, but the company has a pretty good reputation.Good luck.www.cateringroyal.com
  • edited December 2011
    Not really sure if they do off site catering but Cheburechnaya in Forest Hills Queens has great Russian/Uzbek/Buharian food and is kosher. 718-897-9080
  • sofielion28sofielion28 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    thanks for the advice! I've actually been to Cheburechnaya, and while the food is tasty, I don't think it's fancy enough for a formal wedding.But I have not seen the site for Royal Catering. I will definitely give them a call!
  • edited December 2011
    Yea,  I haven't been there in awhile so I didn't really remember the formality of it. I'm from Forest Hills and have A LOT of Russian, kosher friends who have recently gotten married. I can ask them for names if you'd like.
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'd really appreciate it if you ask your friends who they used. Our problem is that we have a "small" wedding, but I still don't see why I have to shell out $100 a person. I really feel discriminated against just because I can't afford to have 300 people come to my wedding. Sorry for the rant, I'm a bit upset. But please talk to your friends and let me know. Thanks for all your help :)
  • edited December 2011
    Royal had different packages, depending on what you want to add (stations, etc); I think the prices start at about $65pp on up.  They also do lots of catering for the shuls in the area (they are based out of Hilcrest Jewish Center), so I am sure they could do a small wedding.I'd send along an email; he's pretty good at emailing back.  It'll save you a trip if you don't like what he has to say.  GL.
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I actually called Royal yesterday. He said the same thing the other caterer did - we have a small wedding and therefore he will have to charge a higher price to make it profitable for them. So yea, we'll keep looking!
  • edited December 2011
    Ugh, sorry - did he have any recommendations?  Personally, if you can do 100 pp starting at $65, then why can't you do 65pp for perhaps an extra 15-20 dollars more? Does your affair have to be Russian-style?  Personally, I don't know of any others and if a caterer is out of area, they are going to factor that into the price.  Perhaps you can find a good caterer that can incorporate certain dishes you'd like? I'd also try Tasteful Catering - http://www.tastefuleventscatering.com/- they do various cuisine styles (I found them looking for more kosher options); they are also very responsive by email as well.
  • edited December 2011
    So I asked my 3 friends who were all married within the last year. And all 3 of them were married at a hall with an onsite caterer that does not do outside catering  :( Sorry! Do you have a Jewish community center/shul near you that you could ask and might have some ideas?  
  • edited December 2011
    ok so lets try to take this apart a little bit.... can you do russian but kosher style? why/why not What is Russian-Style to you? vodka on the table, plates and plates of food on the table so that there is no entree per se (this is how the only NYC Russian wedding I went to was) are you flexible/able to get out of the hall that you booked and use an onsight caterer at a different facility? this could be cheaper. how formal are you trying to go, what sort of food are you looking for? smoked fish, meat entrees, caviar (no butter)- or are you looking for dairy (blintez, etc).
  • edited December 2011
    also keep in mind that from other posters re: kosher weddings in NY, $100 a person is def the lower end of the scale for Kosher wedding catering.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards