Jewish Weddings
Options

7 blessings

Hi ladies,I usually post on the NC board, but I thought you all might be able to offer some advice. FI and I are having an interfaith ceremony (I am Jewish, he is Christian), which will be officiated by a Unitarian minister. I am struggling to find a nice translation for the seven blessings. My brother will be reciting these for us. Do yall have any suggestions for where I could find this or an example to share? Thanks so much!

Re: 7 blessings

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Anita Diamante's book, "the New Jewish wedding" has a bunch of translations of the seven blessings (sheva brachot) in the back of the book. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I agree with Ball and Chain.  That book has some great translations in it.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We're using this version from The New Jewish Wedding for our interfaith ceremony: Normal 0 false false false MicrosoftInternetExplorer4 st1\:*{behavior:url(#ieooui) } /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} We acknowledge the Unity of all, expressing our appreciation for this wine, symbol and aid of our rejoicing. We acknowledge the Unity of all, realizing that each separate moment and every distinct object points to and shares in this oneness. We acknowledge the Unity of all, recognizing and appreciating the blessing of being human. We acknowledge the Unity of all, realizing the special gift of awareness that permits us to receive this unity, and the wonder we experience as a man and a woman joining together to live as one. May rejoicing resound throughout the world as the homeless are given homes, persecution and oppression cease, and all people learn to live in peace with each other and in harmony with their environment. From the source of all energy we call forth an abundance of love to envelop this couple.  May they be for each other lovers and friends, and may their love partake of the same innocence, purity and sense of discovery that we imagine the first couple to have experienced.  We acknowledge the unity of all, and we highlight today joy and gladness, bridegroom and bride, delight and cheer, love and harmony, peace and companionship.  May we all witness the day when the dominant sounds in Jerusalem and throughout the world will be these sounds of happiness, the voices of lovers, the sounds of feasting and singing.  Praised is love; blessed be this marriage.  May the bride and bridegroom rejoice together.          From the sheva b’rachot, by Rabbi Daniel Siegel
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    You can also use the internet and do a Google search.  There are lots of translations you can probably find and then decide which you prefer.  GL.
  • Options
    NotFroofyNotFroofy member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We're also having an interfaith ceremony (2dBride is Jewish, I'm atheist) and we wrote our own interpretations of the Seven Blessings, based on several different versions we found online.  The rabbi who will be officiating for us has read and approved it, and we're having each blessing read by a different guest.Our version is on our planning site, here:http://tinyurl.com/shevabrachot
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards