Jewish Weddings

Are you supposed to match?

This past weekend my fmil asked me what color my girls were wearing because she wants to match them. In my mind, she should wear a color that is not the same as the girls and wear a complimentary color. My mom already bought her dress and is wearing a color that compliments the girl's dresses. My FI's grandmother also wants to wear the same color. I want them to have the freedom to wear whatever color they want! Maybe it doesn't matter because my BMs and my FMIL won't be in pics together.... Thoughts?

Re: Are you supposed to match?

• ShoshieShoshie member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Our colors were blue, white and silver. My BMs wore blue dresses of their choosing. My mother picked out a pale blue dress...Both grandmothers ended up wearing shades of dark bluemy MIL wore a copper/brown thing.I don't think it matters much -- but boy did MIL stand out.
    Adam & Shoshie 10-21-07: "My family is big and loud and everybody's in each other's lives and business. ... but wherever I go, they will always be there." * My Blog: Tales of a Hopeful Jewish Mom to Be * BabyFruit Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    My girls wore black, as did both mothers and my grandmother.  I think people should wear whatever color they want.
  • tenofcups4metenofcups4me member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In my crowd, the mothers typically do either match the BMs or wear something complementary. For my first wedding, my mother and the ex's mother both wore black, as did the BMs. For my sister's wedding, the BMs wore a deep purple -- the mothers and grandmothers wore colors ranging from pale lilac to lavender to a deep purple.
  • edited December 2011
    My BM wore charcoal (a dark silver). My mom wore a lighter shade, my GM wore a pretty moss green, and my MIL wore peach....who the heck decided that was a good idea I will never know...but she wore it.
    The Knot won't share my Bump Siggy, so here's the low-down: 4/27/07 - Got engaged! 8/31/08 - Got married (to my best friend)! 12/30/08 - Got Pregnant! 9/3/09 - Welcome to the world, Elias Solomon! 8/16/10 - Got Pregnant, again! 5/14/11 - Welcome to the world, Talia Hadassah! 1/14/12 - Ready or not, here comes #3 (EDD 9/27/12)
  • edited December 2011
    in my circle the mom's coordinate as well. mine will be easy as I'm going black BM dresses. a friend did light blue BM dresses, and the mothers and grandmothers wore navy. another wedding was dark purple BM dresses, and the mom's and grandmother wore light blue (her accent color). i've also been to weddings where the women didn't coordinate, and it looks just as good as long as someone doesn't extremely stick out. (I was at a black and white wedding, the mom's coincidently both picked out silver/charcoal dresses, and the grandmother showed up in a REVEALING sequined red dress...very distracting!)
  • RachiemooRachiemoo member
    First Anniversary First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    My BMs wore black, MIL wore cream/tan and my mom wore a dark purplish/blueish color. I don't think the mothers should match the BMs but in the end I don't think its a big deal - let her wear what she is most comfortable in.
    image BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Danaz1Danaz1 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I had the same question from my mother in law. I thought it was crazy as well. My mom went ahead and bought a blue dress and my mother in law got annoyed that she didn't consult her before. I told her to buy a dress that she liked I didn't really care about color. She ended up getting a blue dress as well. I thought the whole this was crazy but some people really think that everything has to be very matchy.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • MoFreeMoFree member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I never understood the concept of having to match? For what reason, so people look in unison in wedding pictures, togo along with a general theme or other reasons. My BMs both chose dark purple dresses, my MIL wore a black dress since she always wears black and my mother wore a print dress that didn't really coordinate with the other outfits. At the end of the day, who cares. If I were you, I would not waste any time or emotional energy thinking about what The Knot or other bridal experts say you are "supposed to do." And even if they are not matchy-matchy in photos, does it really matter?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • edited December 2011
    My mother in law asked too - as did my FGMIL (do we use that abbreviation?) anyhow- I told them there was one rule and one rule only- no white, cream, off white, or any other color that could be mistaken for a wedding dress color. My BMs wore black, as did the 2 grandmothers, and 2 mothers.
  • edited December 2011
    Didn't really matter to me, but it's nice if the colors compliment. BM dresses were dark purple, MIL's dress was cobalt blue and as it turned out, my husband's grandmother's dress was also dark purple. But it was fine. They only ever stood together in one picture.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards