Jewish Weddings

How much is too much

To pay for a Ketubah?The one we like is $400. Is that ridiculous? I mean, to me it's like a piece of art which we will display in our home but it seems really high...Thoughts?

Re: How much is too much

• RachiemooRachiemoo member
    First Anniversary First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    ours ended up being around that price after customization, etc. it was very hard for us to find one we both loved. it was more than we wanted to spend but in the end I think it was worth it. like you said, it will hopefully hang in your home for a lifetime. also, this is horrible but the framing actually cost us more than the ketubah - we went to a custom framer my FIL recommended, he was great but never again are we going to pay that much for framing!!
    image BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    So that was your cost AFTER framing though right?This Ketubah is $400 outright. Then to frame will cost a bunch more huh? Ugh... this is going to be an expensive thing I hadn't expected to spend for! ugh
  • RachiemooRachiemoo member
    First Anniversary First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    no, before framing it was ~$400.
    image BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I think I paid $300 four and a half years ago, so $400 doesn't sound ridiculous to me.
  • Leah&MikeLeah&Mike member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hi Jaime, I owe you an email...been crazy busy and have less access to email at home right now. Anyways...email me at work and ill tell you how much ours was (and send you a pic).  Oh and i know you asked me in the email about cakes, we used ana paz. There were really only 2 options for kosher cakes so we went with ana paz.
  • MoFreeMoFree member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    To answer your question, how much depends a lot on your finances and the imporptance of the ketubah. Just as some people pay $10,000 for a wedding dress and some $500, there is no one answer to how much. With shipping and framing, we paid close to that amoutn 2 years ago. To me it was money well spent because it's something permanent and we have it hanging on the wall and look at it everye single day. In fact, if I had to choose between chair covers or a ketubah, I'd go with plain chairs and a beautiful ketubah.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • munkiimunkii member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    This will sound terrible, but...depending on where you purchase it, you may be able to find a coupon code.  We found our ketubah on MPartworks and, sure enough, there was a code on retailmenot.
    Matt loves Munkii!!!
  • edited December 2011
    Our Kebutah with customization I think came to 310. We got it custom framed at Michaels with a 60% off coupon and it came to about 215 for the framing.
  • edited December 2011
    Sounds a little much to me, I tried to set my limit at $300. We ended up spending $250 after upgrading the size and after shipping. But, we didn't get it custom framed, we just found a very lovely frame at Michael's that fit the size perfectly, for about $30 (half off). You can see pics in my Married Bio.
  • signingjuliesigningjulie member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    ours is $250 plus $65 for personalization, plus shipping and framing (no idea how much that will be). I think $400 is a bit high but not ridiculous.
  • edited December 2011
    Ours was about that much, and the framing was more than $200.  It is a lot of money, but it's a beautiful, personalized piece of art that will hang in your home for a lifetime.  But, there are cheaper ketubot out there - you can find one online for less than $100 but it wouldn't be nearly as decorative as some of the more expensive ones.
  • edited December 2011
    I agree with MoFree.

Think of everything else you are paying for that you won't have once all is said and done (ie. food, drinks, decor, etc.).  $400 for something that will hang on your wall for years to come isn't at all expensive.  I'd rather pay more for my ketubah or ring, then a silly dress I wear for a few hours or paying for invites or other paper.  But that's just me.

If you think that's a lot, then Google your ketubah and see if some other vendor is selling it.  If not, then you'll either have to be willing to fork that over or pick out another design.  GL.
  • zobo410zobo410 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Excuse me Miss Jaime... but which one are you going with??? I'm calling you out on our board!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Jeni35Jeni35 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think it all depends on your budget and yes the ketubah is a work of art; but it is also religiously your wedding license if you will. Because my family was much more religious than my fiance's- he was asked to prove his lineage by providing a copy of his parent's ketubah!

Since my wedding is small- I have set a low budget, which most will think insane; but my dream wedding is small, simple and elegant.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards