Jewish Weddings

Where are you spending Pasover?

DH and I are still in Arizona living with his father and step mother so that's where we're spending Passover.We love spending holidays with them anyway, so that's where we would have gone under different circumstances.  SMIL and I are doing the cooking for the 25 or so guests. It's a lot of work but I'm really enjoying it and learning from her.

This year is particularly meaningful to me because I can relate the exodus from slavery to freedom to DH's struggles from nearly dying to recovery (though not nearly as quickly or as complete as he had hoped) and essentially comng back to life. 
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Where are you spending Pasover?

• ShoshieShoshie member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Chicago baby!
    Adam & Shoshie 10-21-07: "My family is big and loud and everybody's in each other's lives and business. ... but wherever I go, they will always be there." * My Blog: Tales of a Hopeful Jewish Mom to Be * BabyFruit Ticker
  • LBRM_NJLBRM_NJ member
    edited December 2011
    Hi, M!  Nice to see you!!

We are going to my parents for the seders, but, my mom and I basically split the cooking.  I kasher my house for Passover, too, so, I can cook here and bring there and then we'll be home for chol hamoed and end days.
    Lisa
    The Knot lost my info, but, I've been married since 6/19/05!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker My Blog - "Helping Make Sense"
  • RedZeeRedZee member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We'll be at my parents' house for both seders because MIL decided not to do seders this year. (I feel bad that DH will miss his family, but I really completely hate going there for seder since FIL reads the English and pauses every few sentences to say "Why are we even doing this? This doesn't mean anything." and not in a conversational "let's discuss the meaning of Passover" kind of way.)

For the rest of the holiday we'll be in our apartment.

I'm going to my mom's tomorrow to help with the cooking and I'm making some of the stuff that MIL usually makes.

When DH and I went shopping, we got a package of 16 plastic tablecloths so that we can cover the kitchen table for the next 16 years. It's so ridiculous but I was so happy to thinking of spending all those years together. (Yes, I'm a cheesy newlywed.)
    imageimage
    October 2013 February Siggy Challenge: Valentine's Day Fail Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    EDD 10/3/13 BabyFetus Ticker
  • tenofcups4metenofcups4me member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    For a variety of reasons, we ended up holding my family's sedar tonight (Sunday) at my sister's house. My immediate family (parents and sister and niece) will gather again tomorrow night for a dinner with the same foods, but I don't think they're doing a whole other sedar; cousins are going somewhere else tomorrow and I don't think my aunt and uncle are doing anything else. DH and I have already gone back home a couple of hours away and we won't do anything tomorrow.
  • razdazzlerazdazzle member
    edited December 2011
    MoFree, I'm glad to hear about your DH's recovery and your Seder plans.

Tonight FI and I are going to my sister's house - she lives 5 minutes from us, and Fi's parents are also about 5 minutes away.  It will be me, Fi, my sister, brother-in-law, nephew, my parents who are visiting from upstate NY, Fi's parents, Fi's sister who is in from NYC, and my sister's supervisor at work and her husband.  I'm looking forward to being with both of our families.  The only people missing are my brother and sister-in-law who live in North Carolina. 

Tomorrow night it will be at Fi's parents condo, with us and my Mom - unfortunately my Dad has to go back to upstate, NY tomorrow morning.  My mom will stay the week!
  • Musicheals71Musicheals71 member
    First Anniversary First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    My parents' house in Cherry Hill, NJ  It's an hour from where I live (Mays Landing).  Just the first night, not the second night.  Not doing anything the second night.
  • edited December 2011
    Glad to hear DH's update and hope his recovery continues in a positive light.

Tonight we are having a seder at our Rabbi's with his wife, his daughter, his MIL, and a few congregants (not which ones).  Tomorrow we are actually hosting; FI is excited and hopes it goes well so that we can continue to host one night in the future (though we may do so anyway).  While it meant lots of food and supplies shopping, it'll be worth it when we are tired from a long night, all we have to do is go upstairs. 
  • MoFreeMoFree member
    edited December 2011
    My SMIL's father had a bit of a scare yesterday (thank goodness he's okay), so I did much of the cooking.  I only attended my first seder in 2007 and now3 years later I did of the food preparation-matzoh balls, 2 kinds of charoset, quinoa and butternut squash, roasted vegetables and brisket.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Musicheals71Musicheals71 member
    First Anniversary First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    Call me stupid, but what is SMIL?  Stepmother-in-law?
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_jewish-weddings_spending-pasover?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:399Discussion:283a54fb-0076-4adb-8556-d2cd9d343d74Post:05d510d4-ecfb-4507-8bba-94cacf9dc7fe">Re: Where are you spending Pasover?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Call me stupid, but what is SMIL?  Stepmother-in-law?
    Posted by Musicheals71[/QUOTE]

Yep- you got it!
    We had an early seder with my parents/family friends that has been a tradition for many years, in fact, it was the 21st such Seder.
    Last night we did NADA as we are still catching up on life from Israel
    Tonight we got to my boss's house!
  • edited December 2011

We had the seder last night with the FILs here in Israel. It was my first Hebrew seder so it was a real learning experience. We are hosting friends from the States for the rest of the holiday. Come visit!!

• edited December 2011
    We usually go to NY, where my husband is from and where his family are, but I couldn't get this week off of work this year. We just bought a home here in Ohio, so we hosted both seders here and the in-laws came here! We had 12 and 13 people each night.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards