Jewish Weddings
Options

where to put kippot

How do you put out the kippot? I've never noticed if it's usually in a basket or box or something else? Also, how do you ask the men to wear one? The men are not all Jewish and might not be aware that we do this. Has anyone used a sign, or just hoped for the best?

Re: where to put kippot

• Options
    edited December 2011
    We had ours in a brown wicker basket outside of the sanctuary.

Our groomsmen gave a kippah to all men and asked that they be worn (didn't matter if they were Jewish or not). The gms were also giving out programs to anyone who wanted one.
  • Options
    reebsreebsreebsreebs member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Put them with the programs and use a sign or have someone pass them out (usher, kid, whoever).
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    i plan on having a sign that says, "out of respect for the synagogue and as per tradition, all men must were a yarmulke (skull cap), while inside the chapel."
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    Musicheals71Musicheals71 member
    First Anniversary First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    They were placed in the wooden tallis and kippah holder in front of the sanctuary.  Most males wore them, regardless of religion.
  • Options
    2dBride2dBride member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We just had ours in a basket near the programs.  However, if it is important to you to have nonJewish guests wear them, you might want to use a sign.  Or if you have ushers, you could direct the ushers to hand them to male guests.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    We had them in baskets and asked DH's cousin to hand them out and my 2 cousins handed out programs.  Most wore them, regardless of religion.  Unfortunately, you will always have some people who won't...you cant stop it!
    At sea, heading to Lisbon, Portugal Anniversary
  • Options
    aleznoffaleznoff member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am getting married at my reception site, not a synagogue.  I am going to have a table setup with silver platters for my programs and kippots.  I am going to make a sign that says that the kippot is optional.  We really don't want to tell anyone it is required.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    colourzcolourz member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for all your ideas!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I placed a message on the website we created through theknot.com, sent the message out with the save the date cards, and will put a reminder up outside of the sanctuary. 

There will be people of other religions there but the message that I sent them asked them to wear their favorite hat, show me there sense of style from baseball cap, to fedora, from kippah, to a kentucky derby special but please don't forget for it is out of respect.

Allowing them to choose their own covering will hopefully make those that are non-jewish feel more comfortable while respecting the idea of wearing a kippah.

Plus I figured it would make for great photos!
  • Options
    jermikojermiko member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Add a personal touch to your simcha kippot! Personalized kippot from Israel will add flavor to your Bar/Bat Mitzvah, wedding, and any other occasion.
    It is a pleasure to hear from so many satisfied customers all over the world!
    http://www.a-zara.com/
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards