Jewish Weddings

Question about Yamacas

Hi ladies,

My FI is Jewish and I was raised Catholic so we are incorporating both traditions into our ceremony.  Our officiant is a minister who specializes in interfaith ceremonies, so we won't be having a rabbi.  FI really wants to order yamacas for the ceremony, but I'm not sure if this is appropriate if a rabbi isn't present.  Any feedback would be appreciated, TY!!
imageAnniversary

Re: Question about Yamacas

• You don't need a rabbi to wear a yarmulke (aka kippah). We're getting married by a rabbi, but since the wedding will be outdoors we're not ordering them for the guests. I think FI will wear one, but probably not even the groomsmen. If your FI wants to wear one, that's his choice. If his relatives or guests want to wear one, I think it might be nice to have them, but not necessary since it's an interfaith ceremony. But if it will make him and his family happy, I say go for it.
  • Sorry for the misspelling! I had no idea how to spell it.  Thanks so much for your input-- much appreciated :)
    imageAnniversary
  • i agree with bonzo.  if he wants to wear one or have them available for guests it is totally fine!
    image BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • what's the rule about kippahs?  If we're getting married in a hotel by a rabbi, should we be ordering them?  is the line drawn between indoors/outdoors or temple/non-temple? 
  • I've always thought it was temple vs. non-temple.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_jewish-weddings_question-yamacas?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:399Discussion:2eef6ea5-92dd-4908-bd5b-9bb277803339Post:64641c17-7777-425a-85fc-1ec4585ea73e">Re: Question about Yamacas</a>:
    [QUOTE]what's the rule about kippahs?  If we're getting married in a hotel by a rabbi, should we be ordering them?  is the line drawn between indoors/outdoors or temple/non-temple? 
    Posted by shimtown[/QUOTE]

IMO, no matter the venue, a Jewish wedding or an inter-faith wedding should have kippahs.

Since Jewish weddings do not need to take place in a temple, that have no factor is providing kippah's for the male guests.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_jewish-weddings_question-yamacas?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:399Discussion:2eef6ea5-92dd-4908-bd5b-9bb277803339Post:182604d2-bd21-49b3-8852-dabc5a58117c">Re: Question about Yamacas</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Question about Yamacas : IMO, no matter the venue, a Jewish wedding or an inter-faith wedding should have kippahs. Since Jewish weddings do not need to take place in a temple, that have no factor is providing kippah's for the male guests.
    Posted by imimahoney[/QUOTE]

Do you think it might be a level of observance thing? I'm Reform, and neither our rabbi nor my parents seem to think we should order kippot. That's why I thought there was a distinction between being inside a temple vs non.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_jewish-weddings_question-yamacas?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:399Discussion:2eef6ea5-92dd-4908-bd5b-9bb277803339Post:b1b344a5-c718-4c3f-8222-1cef348d69dc">Re: Question about Yamacas</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Question about Yamacas : Do you think it might be a level of observance thing? I'm Reform, and neither our rabbi nor my parents seem to think we should order kippot. That's why I thought there was a distinction between being inside a temple vs non.
    Posted by Bonzo2011[/QUOTE]

<div>I think it is a shul versus non-shul thing, in that unless you personally want to wear a kippah, you only really need to if you're in a shul that requires it (Conservative and Orthodox--most Reform shuls I've been to have it optional).  And generally if a shul requires it, they will have some available, so you wouldn't have to provide it at your wedding unless you wanted to.  </div><div>
    </div><div>In our house, we get out kippot for lighting the menorah, Shabbat dinner, and things like that, so it made sense to me to order kippot for our outdoor Conservative wedding, although we did not require that men wear them and our officiant did not say anything about it.  The two Reform weddings I recently went to also had kippot and were outside.  </div>
  • Very helpful! Thanks everyone.  We'll probably order them for our hotel wedding, but as many of our guests will not be Jewish, it's nice to know that they won't have to wear them.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_jewish-weddings_question-yamacas?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:399Discussion:2eef6ea5-92dd-4908-bd5b-9bb277803339Post:b1b344a5-c718-4c3f-8222-1cef348d69dc">Re: Question about Yamacas</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Question about Yamacas : Do you think it might be a level of observance thing? I'm Reform, and neither our rabbi nor my parents seem to think we should order kippot. That's why I thought there was a distinction between being inside a temple vs non.
    Posted by Bonzo2011[/QUOTE]

Um, I don't know really. Personally I am conservative but I have been to several reform (5 maybe?) weddings and they all taken place outside of a temple and had kippot for the male guests to wear.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_jewish-weddings_question-yamacas?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:399Discussion:2eef6ea5-92dd-4908-bd5b-9bb277803339Post:cf9beb37-5f94-4935-918c-93cc3b96c943">Re: Question about Yamacas</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Question about Yamacas : Um, I don't know really. Personally I am conservative but I have been to several reform (5 maybe?) weddings and they all taken place outside of a temple and had kippot for the male guests to wear.
    Posted by imimahoney[/QUOTE]

Interesting. Maybe my family is just less observant than I ever realized.
  • We had kippot at my Conservative outdoor non-synagogue wedding. It just depends on your rabbi and your preference.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards