Jewish Weddings
Options

Wording for non-kosher reception?

we are having a jewish wedding ceremony but we will not be serving kosher food at the reception, it'll be a kosher-style meal (kosher meals would be available to those who need it).  We only have a couple friends/family members who keep strictly kosher, but I still wanted to make it clear that we will not be serving kosher food and that they'd need to request a kosher meal. I know that some people may just assume that by going to a jewish wedding, kosher food will be served.  Is there something we can write on the reception card/wedding website to get that point across without actually having to write "the dinner will not be kosher"?  I think word of mouth may work too, since we really only have a couple of people it would affect. Just wondering if anyone's come across this issue...

Re: Wording for non-kosher reception?

• Options
    Unless you are in fact Kosher, I actually don't think people would assume that it's a Kosher meal. I would just spread the word by mouth to any family or friends that keep Kosher.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I rarely attend Jewish weddings that DO have kosher food. Most of the bar and bat mitzvahs I attend don't either. I know that in my crowd if someone wanted kosher food, they would know to ask about it specifically. Since you say there are only a few people affected, I'd just speak with them individually and assume anyone who doesn't keep kosher is not going to care.
  • Options
    If you are giving them the option of requesting a kosher meal, that will itself convey that the other options aren't kosher.
  • Options
    I don't think people assume that a Jewish wedding will have kosher food.  If you and your FI keep kosher, that could raise that assumption, IMO.  

If you know who everyone is who keeps kosher, I would just email them individually and say, "this is what we're having, would you like a wrapped kosher meal?"  If you don't know everyone who might want a kosher meal, I would put it on your RSVP card if you are having meal choices, something like:
    __ Beef
    __ Chicken
    __ Eggplant parmigania (vegetarian)
    __ Chicken (kosher)
    Even if you're not having meal selection, you could have a spot on your response card for dietary needs, and you could ask that guests indicate if they need kosher/vegetarian/GF/etc.

• Options
    We didn't have to give entree choices to our venue in advance, but did need to know who wanted a kosher meal, so our response card looked like this:

____ will attend
    ____ will not attend

Please indicate if you require a kosher meal _____
    ExerciseMilestone image
  • Options
    Thanks for your thoughts everyone! We're not giving guest meal options, so I think I may put on the rsvp card something along the lines of "please indicate if you have any special dietary requirements."  that way, we cover all dietary needs.  Happy Hanukkah and happy new year!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards