Jewish Weddings

Hamotzi?

If we are doing a cocktail hour immediately following our ceremony, which will then lead into our reception (all at the same location, just different rooms) do we need to repeat the Hamotzi at the reception before people are served? Or is it considered to be part of one continuous meal? I can't remember for the life me.

Re: Hamotzi?

• Bonzo2011Bonzo2011 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I would consider it to be continuous, but you may want to ask your officiant or one of your more observant relatives, to be on the safe side. If you're having a rabbi officiate, I'd go with whatever he/she says!
  • GreenEyes005GreenEyes005 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    you do the Hamotzi only once at the beginning of the reception meal, not the cocktail hour as you are not a going to be a participant, you will be in the yichud room...I am not sure of your observance level. 
  • Musicheals71Musicheals71 member
    First Anniversary First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    We did it before the actual meal, not during the cocktail hour.
  • baronessaRbaronessaR member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We are Reconstructionist and have opted not to do a Yichud, so we will be walking directly out of the sanctuary over to the happy hour space, where there will be passed hors d'oeuvres. I seem to remember that before anybody could eat anything at the oneg following my Bat Mitzvah, we had to do a hamotzi/hagafen, but maybe that rule varies from place to place. 

Our Rabbi has to officiate another event after our ceremony, so she won't be staying for the eating and drinking portion of the evening, which means somebody else will have to lead. 
  • edited December 2011
    We did Yichud, went to cocktail hour, and then my grandfathers said the motzi at the beginning of the meal once we went into the reception room.  We also did some extended family photos right after Yichud. 

We didn't do this, but one thing you might consider is having a handwashing/motzi station set up during cocktail hour for anyone that wants it, and then do a ceremonial/group motzi in the reception before the meal. 

Even though your rabbi isn't staying, you could still ask her what she would recommend. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards