Jewish Weddings
Options

Processional

Hi Ladies!  We all know Wagner's Bridal March is a No, No, so what did you walk down the aisle to??

Re: Processional

• Options
    RachiemooRachiemoo member
    First Anniversary First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    I walked down to Dodi Li.
    image BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    LBRM_NJLBRM_NJ member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My bridal party came down to Erev Shel Shoshanim and I came down to Yerushalayim Shel Za'hav.
    Lisa
    The Knot lost my info, but, I've been married since 6/19/05!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker My Blog - "Helping Make Sense"
  • Options
    sari5765sari5765 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    What a good question! I've been thinking about the same thing myself. Our cantor has a guitar, so I need to find something that sounds good on it. Dodi Li might be a good choice for us, but Yerushalayim Shel Za'hav would be preferable to me. I wonder how that will sound on a guitar....
    check out our wedding blog at http://kellyandsari.com
  • Options
    2dBride2dBride member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We used  La Rejouissance (Music For the Royal Fireworks) - Handel.  A complete list of our ceremony music (with no Wagner and no Mendellsohn) can be found at this link.
  • Options
    Jeni35Jeni35 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am not married yet; but we discussed this with our rabbi. he thought Dodi Li or Yerushalyim Shel Za'hav. he even sang a bit of the latter and it sounded pretty good!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm using Canon in D - I've had my heart set on it for years. We'll probably pick some Jewish music for the others though.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Not married yet but are planning on having L'chi lach for the bp and the groom and his parents and I'm planning on walking down to the shalom aleichem waltz. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We wanted the music to reflect who we are, and since we don't really listen to or are that familar with many Jewish pieces, we opted to have many of the popular Jewish songs, along with classical pieces, played during seating.  DH walked down to The Beatles "My LIfe" and then once under the chuppah, our friend chanted the groom's blessing.  I walked down to "It Had to Be You" and then we had a lovely piece chanted while I circled DH.  It came out great and we still were very much ourselves while also keeping with tradition.
  • Options
    tenofcups4metenofcups4me member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    First wedding, non-religious ceremony outdoors. We had a trio for the cocktail hour and 10-piece band for the reception, but opted for recorded music for the ceremony:

Groom and his parents: What a beautiful world (Louis Armstrong)
    Bridal party: Drive (Incubus)
    Me and my parents: It had to be you (Harry Conick Jr.) -- it was a REALLY long aisle (coming out of a mansion, down steps, around a circular drive, across some grass, then the aisle itself) and the song was long and dramatic
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    My husband and bridal party walked to Vivaldi's "Spring". I went to Holst's "Venus". We left to the Beatles' "All You Need is Love". Also, this was a Conservative wedding, but I wanted to use music that everyone could recognize and enjoy, while still holding a lot of meaning for my husband and I.
  • Options
    moslimosli member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    i'm not 100% sure, but i'm thinking that we'll walk down to Gershwin's "The way you look tonight" and out to "S'wonderful"
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Similar to PP, we are walking down the aisle to the Intermezzo from Cavalleria Rusticana (an opera) and we are walking up the aisle to "All You Need is Love" by the Beatles.  We have a string trio performing these songs.  We wanted to music that was meaningful for us and recognizable to our guests (only half a jewish).
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    DH walked down to a piano rendition of "45 years" by stan rogers and i walked down to the beatiful, soulful, amazing "Prayerful Hymn" by Oliver Schroer.  It's originally a fiddle tune by an amazing composer and fiddler from toronto.    i wish i could live that moment again just so i could hear how beautiful it sounded as i walked down the aisle.  

good thing we have the video!

v.
  • Options
    leoraannaleoraanna member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We are probably walking down to All You Need Is Love. We have a band with horns, so it will be great to have it be played live.
    Nov 2010 Siggy Challenge: Favorite Fictional Couple
    Photobucket
    image 282 Invited
    image 198 Making the Party!
    image 56 Staying at home :(
    image 28 Slow-pokes
    RSVP Date: November 5, 2010
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    sorry to be niave but why cant jews walk down to Wagner's bridal march??? I am having a chabad rabbi marry me but I am not orthodox.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Nursery theme!Image and video hosting by TinyPic Nursing Bras at Nurtured Family BabyFruit Ticker Anniversary
  • Options
    RachiemooRachiemoo member
    First Anniversary First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_jewish-weddings_processional?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:399Discussion:70587ede-e30d-47c9-8258-dee679cc6f24Post:e9e5cd70-50e0-4642-8c98-31253a07bc1d">Re: Processional</a>:
    [QUOTE]sorry to be niave but why cant jews walk down to Wagner's bridal march??? I am having a chabad rabbi marry me but I am not orthodox.
    Posted by KareBearKCD[/QUOTE]

generally jews choose not to use his music because he was a well known anti-semite.  you can look up more info on his views via his wikipedia page if you're interested (and i'm sure there are many other sources as well).
    image BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards