Jewish Weddings

Timing of Rehearsal

Our wedding will be on a Saturday night and the Temple is saying the rehearsal will be right before the ceremony.

I had been assuming/thinking it might be Friday (before sundown), as the day of the wedding will already be pretty hectic and I figure it'll be easier to go through the rehearsal in regular clothes...

For any other Jewish brides having a Saturday night ceremony, when is your rehearsal being held?

(Our Temple is Reform).

Thanks!

Re: Timing of Rehearsal

• edited December 2011
    Mine will be on Friday for a Sunday wedding. I believe that's how our rabbi always does it.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • mickeypottermickeypotter member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We aren't doing a formal rehersal because Jewish law prohibits it. Its suppose to be a once in a lifetime experience. But we are having a quick run through right before the ceremony
  • edited December 2011
    We are doing a Saturday rehearsal for a Sunday wedding (not in the temple).
    Anniversary image
  • edited December 2011
    Our rabbi doesn't allow rehearsals.. we're doing a brief overview right before the ceremony.
  • tenofcups4metenofcups4me member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I've always seen a quick run-through right before the ceremony. I'm sure it's because of that, but I've never understood the point of a more comprehensive rehearsal that's done in other religions/cultures -- seriously, you walk down the aisle and stand there. What's to rehearse?
  • edited December 2011
    we're not doing a rehearsal either, although its more "traditional judaism that doesnt do it" on our end, not halachic law or anything. 

we are meeting at 10AM on friday with our planner at the ceremony location. i have no clue what we are going to do then, but my mom is very anxious and controlling and she wants to do this, so we are doing it. 
    http://www.mywedding.com/lynnieandandy
    october '10 siggy: Early Pic of me and FI (not the first.....)
    imageVisit The Knot! Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • LBRM_NJLBRM_NJ member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_jewish-weddings_timing-of-rehearsal?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:399Discussion:736a7ed2-ed28-4e9d-9ba6-fec801032a64Post:47be768a-5cb8-4cff-9351-a3e94e69d922">Re: Timing of Rehearsal</a>:
    [QUOTE]I've always seen a quick run-through right before the ceremony. I'm sure it's because of that, but I've never understood the point of a more comprehensive rehearsal that's done in other religions/cultures -- seriously, you walk down the aisle and stand there. What's to rehearse?
    Posted by tenofcups4me[/QUOTE]

I agree with this.  In fact, our quick run through right before the ceremony didn't even include me because, as someone else said, it's supposed to be a once in a lifetime experience.  The coordinator walked through with everyone what to do and then came in the bridal room and told me what to do.
    Lisa
    The Knot lost my info, but, I've been married since 6/19/05!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker My Blog - "Helping Make Sense"
  • edited December 2011
    We are also not doing a rehearsal.  FI and I went through the ceremony with our Rabbi at our last meeting, and the coordinator will have the lineup and can make sure everyone is in place.  FI, my parents and I all know how we're walking down, circling, etc.  We never considered having a rehearsal since its not done for jewish weddings.  We are even trying not to call the dinner the night before a "rehearsal dinner".  (though our 90% non-jewish bridal party insists it is)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • 2dBride2dBride member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I've been through two weddings without a single rehearsal.  No one tripped over their own feet at either wedding.  ;-)
  • RachiemooRachiemoo member
    First Anniversary First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    ditto everyone else, we didn't do a rehearsal.
    image BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • razdazzlerazdazzle member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We had a rehearsal, but our ceremony wasn't at a synagogue.  If you feel like you want the rehearsal on Friday, I think you have the right to ask about it.
  • edited December 2011
    You'd be surprised; though usually it's nerves or folks thinking it's about them that regardless of rehearsals, the actual wedding doesn't go as planned.  I wish we had done some kind of rehearsal because our rabbi butched quite a few things and did a few others that if we had a rehearsal, the matters could have been addressed.
  • edited December 2011
    we had our rehearsal friday around 2pm for our sunday wedding.  The shul's event coordinator was there and our wedding planner.  it was pretty uneventful, and probably not necessary, but i did find it helpful to practice the circling with H (I circled 3 times, H circled 3 tmies, and then we circled once together with our hands on each other's hips).  Also, having your MOH know when to come down and take your bouquet so you can circle is something you'll want to practice or at least tell her that she needs to do it.  I also had my other sister help drape my train over my arm before the circling, so I wouldn't trip.  These are all things you can do without doing an official rehearsal at the shul.
  • edited December 2011
    ditto other posters - we didn't do a rehearsal and everything went just as planned.  we did ask our decor person to place a couple of bows on the aisle where my parents were supposed to stop and wait for me, but otherwise it really was a once in a lifetime experience.  we all would have forgotten what to do anyway.

• Danaz1Danaz1 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    we did it before the bedeken really quick.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards