Jewish Weddings

Blessing over the challah

Hello ladies,

FI and I are both Jewish, but we do not practice at all and have very limited understanding of Jewish prayers/religious traditions. My father has put up a big stink about having a challah blessed and cut at the wedding. Can someone tell me what this entails? What is the blessing, when is it done, who usually does it, how long does it last?

Thank you so much!
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Blessing over the challah

• LBRM_NJLBRM_NJ member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    It is typically done right before the meal is served, after you have been introduced into the reception and done any first dance/hora you might be planning.  It is simply a large challah that is rolled out, someone (usually an elderly male family member or your rabbi if you want, but, it's a nice honor for a family member) says the blessing over the challah, cuts it, takes a bite, and that's it.  Then, the caterer will wheel it in the back and cut it up and put a plate on each table for everyone to take a taste.  The whole thing takes less than a minute.
    Lisa
    The Knot lost my info, but, I've been married since 6/19/05!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker My Blog - "Helping Make Sense"
  • reebsreebsreebsreebs member
    edited December 2011
    Here's the text in hebrew, transliteration and english.
    http://image.aish.com/misc/wash-bread.pdf

It should be done just before eating.
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks so much! That's exactly the length of time I was hoping it would take :)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • edited December 2011
    Can someone please let me know which blessing comes first, bread or wine?  We are having each of our fathers do one of the blessings and I need to know which is first.

thanks!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Wine goes first.
    TTC the journey begins October 2011 image
  • edited December 2011

My rabbi told us that we don't bless the wine at the wedding because it is done during the ceremony... hm?

• LBRM_NJLBRM_NJ member
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_jewish-weddings_blessing-over-challah?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:399Discussion:7d2a20f6-1f79-46f8-8a97-13a4c9c137b1Post:3bd871f1-024d-4b61-b757-523361fdf35f">Re: Blessing over the challah</a>:
    [QUOTE]My rabbi told us that we don't bless the wine at the wedding because it is done during the ceremony... hm?
    Posted by october010bride[/QUOTE]

This is correct.  Technically, you don't say a brucha over the wine during the reception.
    Lisa
    The Knot lost my info, but, I've been married since 6/19/05!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker My Blog - "Helping Make Sense"
  • Danaz1Danaz1 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    we also didn't do the blessing for the wine because it was done during the ceremony.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • edited December 2011

Ditto, you don't do the wine since it's already been done at the wedding, only the hamotzi.  Toward the end of the evening when all eating is done, then you'll have the last wine with blessing when you bench (if you decide to do so).  That's the only portion of the evening where wine and a blessing would come into play again.

• razdazzlerazdazzle member
    edited December 2011
    We did a blessing over wine and bread, my father and father-in-law did the blessings.
  • edited December 2011
    Ditto Razdazzle. We are doing both because the honor is being split between FFIL and my father.  My father is doing the second blessing (bread) and then will say his welcome speech/toast.  The wine blessing probably isn't necessary, but it doesn't hurt and its a nice touch and way to include and honor FFIL.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards