Jewish Weddings

Jewish Information Classes?

I'm a Chinese/Atheist and my fiance is Jewish/Agnostic. 
It was suggested to both of us from a Rabbi (not our officiant yet) that we take a Jewish Information Class to learn about the customs and ways. I'm fully on board with raising a so called "Jewish Family" if that means celebrating holidays and such, and I respect any dietary needs from the family. Doesn't mean I understand or believe in it, but I feel a lot of it comes from a historical and tradition/social perspective rather than religious (just like Chinese New Year and Christmas).
This course was recommended to us is pretty intense - with a midterm exam, take home assignments and a final exam. It's preperation for conversion, but we were assured that it's not required. The course material is really good however, I'm trying to plan a wedding and find a house, and not sure if I can afford 3 hours every week for a year + homework!+ stress!
Does anyone know of other, less intensive courses in the Toronto, Canada area? Tell me more especially if you've taken any. 

Re: Jewish Information Classes?

• edited December 2011
    If you can find any reform temples I'd ask them. They might have some ideas for you.

Also, you might want to try JCC's- Jewish Community Centers
  • edited December 2011
    Can you just get some books from the library? Then you can go at your own pace.
    Anniversary image
  • edited December 2011
    I don't know where you are but around me they have a lot of Intro to Judaism and Tast of Judaism classes. If you go to www.urj.org they have a ton of info and www.urj.org/learning/classes/    has a list of classes they have a 3 session class that's free as an intro. 
    First Baby image BabyFruit Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Is there a university near you that might have an intro class in its religion department that you can audit?
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_jewish-weddings_jewish-information-classes?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:399Discussion:86fb9f53-b71b-4b42-893a-7a69f38e5295Post:9b94b4ba-bcee-4ed2-8b83-656cfbb90b14">Re: Jewish Information Classes?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I don't know where you are but around me they have a lot of Intro to Judaism and Tast of Judaism classes. If you go to <a href="http://www.urj.org" rel='nofollow'>www.urj.org</a> they have a ton of info and <a href="http://www.urj.org/learning/classes/" rel='nofollow'>www.urj.org/learning/classes/</a>    has a list of classes they have a 3 session class that's free as an intro. 
    Posted by amandapoat[/QUOTE]

This. My FI did this to start his conversion and my rabbi suggested I go too. It was great! =)

image 170 Invited (holy crap!)

image 98 are coming to party!

image 29 have other plans

image 43 need to respond!

Daisypath Wedding tickers

"Bside - You're just too sexy for your own good" ~ leia1979

"True love = I still love you even though we hang out all the time and most other people would be tired of each other already" ~ flygirlmeg
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards