Jewish Weddings

Cost of a Rabbi

Hi my name is Stephanie and I am getting married in Puerto Rico next May.  This is my first time posting here, I usually post on the destination forum. Anyway, I was wondering if anyone knew how much it would cost for a rabbi to perform a wedding in San Juan, Puerto Rico.

Thanks!

Re: Cost of a Rabbi

• edited December 2011
    It depends on if you can find a local rabbi in Puerto Rico to marry you. When you google jewish Puerto Rico, you get is a chabad center and their rabbi will only marry you if you are orthodox and having an orthodox wedding. It also looks like there is a reform temple in San Juan, so I would email their rabbi and ask him. 
    September 2011 Siggy Challenge- Picture Of Your Engagement Ring
    From Wedding Website Slide Show
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Website
  • edited December 2011
    I'd definitely start the searh now so that if you find yourself with limited options, you can see about hiring someone local and then pay their expenses to go down to PR to marry you.  If you were local here in NYC, the suggested "donation" would start at about $500.  GL.
  • stephanie1212stephanie1212 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks! I told my fiancee we should start looking now and he keeps saying we have time, now I will show him this post :)
  • silversparkssilversparks member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Definitely start looking now so you can find someone who suits your religious outlook and many rabbis have a range of requirements in terms of prep time with you (meetings, etc), rituals, and how they're willing to be helpful. I expect it would be cheaper if you can find someone local in Peurto Rico, otherwise you're looking at paying someone's travel and board expenses in addition to what would probably be a smaller honorarium. But if you want someone to help with prep work, I agree with PP that you are starting at around $500 and it will go up from there. If it's a budget queston,  $500+ for the local rabbi seems like a reasonable expectation to start with, and then that plus travel expenses to bring someone down.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • rabbimichaelrabbimichael member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Good Evening Stephanie,
    I am Rabbi Michael Raab and I have officiated many weddings in Puerto Rico. I livwe in Fort Lauderdale so it is convenient for me to fly over. Email me at Rabbimr13@aol.com to discuss the specifics for your special day.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards