Jewish Weddings

Frozen latkes

Hey gals!

We're having some friends over this weekend for a monthly game day and our theme is "holidays."

Frying latkes makes my house stink, so I was going to get frozen ones and stick them in the oven -- then serve with sour cream, applesauce and sugar.

Anyone have a recommendation of a latke brand I chould pick up? I really only need one package (there are 6 of us).

TIA!
Adam & Shoshie 10-21-07: "My family is big and loud and everybody's in each other's lives and business. ... but wherever I go, they will always be there." * My Blog: Tales of a Hopeful Jewish Mom to Be * BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Frozen latkes

• 2dBride2dBride member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think the spirit of my former in-laws would haunt me if I ever served a frozen latke!
  • edited December 2011
    I don't remember the brand, but I tried making the oven ones for a work party once. I had a hard time getting them crispy, and eventually had to throw them in the toaster oven. If I made them again, I would plan on using the toaster oven at the end.
  • MoFreeMoFree member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I've only eaten latkes in the past few years and hear you about the smell lingerng for days.  However, being somewhat of a purist, I would not be comfortable serving a store-bought or packaged one and have seen many, many recipes for oven-baked ones.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • edited December 2011
    i dont think there is ANYTHING wrong with store bought latkes (or store bough ANYTHING!)

i just dont have time to work 100 hours a week in a hospital and then make every ounce of my food from scratch!! my late grandma would definitely understand!

that said, i've used a few brands and they vary in quality. 

the ones i have liked best have been in a blue box (maybe Kineret?) but i have also tried Golden, and although I like their blitnzes a lot, i dont really love the latkes. 

Dr. Prager is one I really dont like, though. But you might!

thats all i got. 

good luck!
    http://www.mywedding.com/lynnieandandy
    october '10 siggy: Early Pic of me and FI (not the first.....)
    imageVisit The Knot! Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I don't remember what brand it is, but last year I used triangular ones that came in a blue and white BAG rather than boxes like golden's do- I think each had 15-20 latkes but they really just looked like triangular hashbrowns. They did get crispy, no problem there but I am totally for homemade... I would do anything for one this hanukkah, stupid diet :(
  • edited December 2011
    I've had the golden ones before, both regular and sweet potato and they are good. Not as good home made but pretty good. I recommend toasting higher than they say so they get extra crispy.

I also recommend picking up a box of the sweet potato ones because they really are yummy. I think they are way better than the original ones.
  • Jeni35Jeni35 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am late on this; but I made ltkes for the first 2 nights of Chanukah and my place didn't smell at all. The kitchen window was open and you cna make from scratch easily or the Manischewitz mix is very quick. Everyone loves latkes, so I hope you did not get the frozen ones because the mix is so easy and does not smell bad... delicious!
  • ShoshieShoshie member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Got yummy frozen ones from the kosher section at the grocery store and they turned out great. Thanks all for your help.

Went to a Chanukah party last night -- my jacket still smells like latkes. yay
    Adam & Shoshie 10-21-07: "My family is big and loud and everybody's in each other's lives and business. ... but wherever I go, they will always be there." * My Blog: Tales of a Hopeful Jewish Mom to Be * BabyFruit Ticker
  • RachiemooRachiemoo member
    First Anniversary First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    just wanted to add that i was in Trader Joe's last night and they had a lot of frozen latkes.  I haven't tried them but their stuff is usually good. 
    image BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards