Jewish Weddings
Options

Can't find a Chuppah in NH - please help - running out of time

My daughter is getting married in April, 2010 and I can't find a Chuppah.  I've spent numerous hours on the phone with vendors, florists, party renters, and some don't even know what one is.  I found a small lattice one, but it was too small.  The wedding will be outdoors so we have the wind to contend with.   We aren't handy so I'm afraid to make one.  Does anyone know of any vendor in So. NH who can make a Chuppah?   Feel free to email me at Marfin1208
@yahoo.com and thanks so much for all your help!

Mrs. D

Re: Can't find a Chuppah in NH - please help - running out of time

• Options
    edited December 2011
    sorry you are struggling with this. 

i know it seems like making one would be really hard, but we are doing it and it hasnt been too bad. we have 4 large 14 gallon pots, and into those pots we are placing 4 birch-type branches that are about 5 inches in diameter, secured into a foam/gardeners molding, and covered with leaves, branches, etc (though you could do flowers). then we are using simple cloth to create the "roof" which will be tied to eye bolts that i have screwed into the branches that connect with string to the roof through holes i have created with metal fasteners (so they dont rip in case of the wind).  its simple, but we'll decorate the top with some greens, etc. 

where in NH are you? if you are neat VT my guess is that the Hillel at Dartmouth (my alma mater) might have something. If you are in the south I'm sure you could source something from Boston area. 

hope that helps. 
    http://www.mywedding.com/lynnieandandy
    october '10 siggy: Early Pic of me and FI (not the first.....)
    imageVisit The Knot! Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    RachiemooRachiemoo member
    First Anniversary First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    you should call around to local shuls and jewish community centers, etc. to see if you can rent one.

also, most florists have one - you can ask your florist if you've hired one, or call around to other florists in your area.

good luck!
    image BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    also, many nonJews refer to Chuppahs as wedding canopies. Just explain that you need a slightly larger one (give estimated dimensions)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    If you can't find anything closer, I know that Franklin Party Rentals in Franklin, MA has one for rent.  When we checked it out, it was $80 to rent it, although I don't know whether prices have changed since then.  Here is a picture:

• Options
    edited December 2011
    If you have time to go down to Boston I would recommend Kolbo or Israel Book Shop, both in Brookline across the street from each other.  The people in Kolbo are much nicer, and if they don't have one, they may be able to direct you.  Their website: www.kolbo.com

I'd also check w/ your rabbi or try The Jewish Federation in Manchester.
    Good Luck!

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Oh my goodness! Make your own! Really, how much more amazing will it be if you make it for her! Any Rabbi should be able to tell you the specific size it should be, and then you can just hoist it with poles (which many temples have for that exact purpose) and what a wonderful memento it becomes! The Chuppah is the wedding canopy, why would you want to rent one, and not be able to keep it? My mother is making our Chuppah cloth, and it will be like a beautiful patchwork qult with pieces of baby clothes my Fiance and I wore as babies, pieces of his blankie, and my favorite stuffed animal! There will also be pictured stitched in (you can have photos printed on fabric) of our lives from babies, to adults about to make the most sacred commitment to one another! I can't wait! We are going to hang ours above our bed after we are married, so that we are able to be under the Chuppah anytime! Smile
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards