Jewish Weddings
Options

Jewish Wedding Extras

I know I have a while until my wedding, but we're trying to figure out our budget and I want to figure out all the extras that go along with a Jewish wedding.
All I know, for sure, is the chuppah, yarmulkes, and ketubah,

Do you have to buy a kiddish cup for the ceremony, or will any cup do? Is there any special knife or plate that you need for the challah?

I'm sorry if these are stupid questions and I'm sure our rabbi will be able to tell us, but we're just trying to get a rough idea about how much things will cost and we're about a year away from speaking with a rabbi!

Thanks!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
Wedding Website
image 143 Invited
image 110 Are ready to party!
image 31 Are party poopers!
image 0 Can't find the mailbox!

Re: Jewish Wedding Extras

• Options
    LBRM_NJLBRM_NJ member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Off the top of my head, the only other thing I can think of is if you want a special glass for breaking that can then be turned into something (we have a kiddush cup with the shards of glass in the stem).

No, you absolutely do not need to buy kiddush cups.  I used two cups that were sentimental to me.  I know some people do buy a special knife for cutting the challah, but, we just used one from the reception hall.

Oh, another thing you would need, but, only if you are more religious, are benchers to say grace after meal during your reception.
    Lisa
    The Knot lost my info, but, I've been married since 6/19/05!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker My Blog - "Helping Make Sense"
  • Options
    aleznoffaleznoff member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I live in the Central Florida area.  I found a florist who had a chuppah.  She is decorating it with flowers and charging me $200 for the rental.  Some synagogues have a chuppah that you can use for free.  My rabbi has a kattubah that I can use for free, but it is not anything special.  I have looked online and they can range anywhere from $100 - $400.  I am using a light bulb as my "stomping glass."  A lot of people do that these days.  I have heard some brides put it in a cloth napkin.  I think I am just going to use a cloth baggy I got from Brighton.  I registered for a kittush cup as a wedding gift from Bed Bath and Beyond.  If I get it as a gift before the wedding, I will use it.  If not, I will just ask the caterer for a nice glass.  I also saw challah knives on the Bed Bath and Beyond website.  I am ordering kippahs from mazeltops.com.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards