Jewish Weddings

Signing of the Ketubah w non-Jewish Officiant

So, we are Jewish (but not very religious), so we are having a Judge (who is also a personal friend) marry us.  He is not Jewish.  That being said, we are still having some Jewish aspects in the wedding, including a ketubah.  My question is - how do we sign the ketubah?  I know we need 2 Jewish witnesses (which is not a problem), but is there a prayer that someone typically says? 

Re: Signing of the Ketubah w non-Jewish Officiant

• Usually they just read it  out loud and the Rabbi asks if your FI agrees to it by symbolically taking a napkin or pen or some other item. You don't actually answer verbally. 
    The Knot won't share my Bump Siggy, so here's the low-down: 4/27/07 - Got engaged! 8/31/08 - Got married (to my best friend)! 12/30/08 - Got Pregnant! 9/3/09 - Welcome to the world, Elias Solomon! 8/16/10 - Got Pregnant, again! 5/14/11 - Welcome to the world, Talia Hadassah! 1/14/12 - Ready or not, here comes #3 (EDD 9/27/12)
  • What Joelsgirl said is correct.

This isnt an answer to what you asked, but I'd also like to add that usually the ketubah is signed before the ceremony and the officiant does not even have to sign the ketbuah (legally), all that is needed is the two witnesses. 
  • i'll echo what pp's said. the ketubah is technically a legal document, not a religious one. there are no blessings or prayers said at the time of the signing.  it is simply the signing of a contractual agreement between the bride and groom.

as with any contract, there should be some effort made to ensure that both parties are aware of, and agree to what they are signing before you sign. 

v.
  • edited October 2012
    The only thing I will caution is to maybe have someone fluent in Hebrew make sure that what it says in English is also what it says in Hebrew, since your officiant won't be able to do that for you. Our Rabbi required to see the text of ours to make sure it was right....
    The Knot won't share my Bump Siggy, so here's the low-down: 4/27/07 - Got engaged! 8/31/08 - Got married (to my best friend)! 12/30/08 - Got Pregnant! 9/3/09 - Welcome to the world, Elias Solomon! 8/16/10 - Got Pregnant, again! 5/14/11 - Welcome to the world, Talia Hadassah! 1/14/12 - Ready or not, here comes #3 (EDD 9/27/12)
  • Traditionally, you don't sign the ketubah at all--only the witnesses do.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards